Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Fly First Class Or Steerage To The LOS?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Airlines is the worst business class I have been in with BA business not so far behind. Singapore is the best and I also like Qantas in business but not economy.

However from Australia to BKK is only 9 hours so no big deal and no jet lag really because of time difference.

I would only fly business these days if a client is paying or there is only a marginal difference in price as IMHO you do not arrive that much more refreshed.

Comment

Time on long haul flights is best spent sleeping, so that you can hopefully arrive refreshed. I have traveled on all classes, but since i spend most of the time sleeping, business and first is wasted on me. The cattle class seats fits my ass nice and snugly and i sleep better that way :-)

Comment

I fly cattle as well. I fucking hate it. So my current strategy is to use my Alaska Airlines credit card for most of my expenses every month so I accrue miles. Of course, I do not carry a balance. I pay the fucker off every month.
        I'm hoping that the next time I fly I'll be able to use my miles to upgrade to, at least, business class.
        It's 20+hours from LAX to the LOS.
        "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
        Salin' on a summer breeze
        And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
        -Harry Nilsson

Comment

Thats the way I do it too. At this point in my life the flight & the hotel room are part of the holiday as well, as much as I can afford it anyway..... no more long hauls in steerage & staying in a dodgy room with a pool that has cloudy water. I did that through my 40's, now the Big Daddy is upgrading, of course it wouldn't take much to upgrade from that Lonely Planet world!  (But past deprivations make it seem sweeter now.)

Everything I buy or get billed on goes on my airline credit card, I play every little marketing game that rewards me with FF miles & doesn't cost me anything. Consequently I am now just 100K miles away from 1million lifetime miles which will make me lifetime elite ( & the rest of this year all flying accrues double miles so I'm gonna do a couple of long haul trips this fall.) I only fly for work 3-4 times a year so it's mostly gaming the FF system that's done it.

Upgrade to Business class from the cheapest priced ticket with miles+fee makes the 24 hour+ flight from East Coast USA hugely more enjoyable. Not to mention the Business Lounge at Narita that has the showers & free cocktails to break things up.

Comment

(katoeylover @ Aug. 03 2009,08:55)
            (nhscotsman @ Aug. 03 2009,02:34) I always looked at the first class people on the flights as I walked off and I always thought "You paid 10 times more than I did and you're not here any quicker."
            They'd be long gone before you got off anyway.....

and maybe we arrive at same time, but after an easy flight, 8 hrs sleep, good food, you dont waste a day or 2 of your holiday getting over jetlag...
            I have handicap privileges, so I always go off first, but I understand what you mean.

Cheers,
            Nhscotsman

Comment

(El_hefe @ Aug. 04 2009,16:53) I play every little marketing game that rewards me with FF miles & doesn't cost me anything.

Not to mention the Business Lounge at Narita that has the showers & free cocktails to break things up.
              An example of ways to get boatloads of free miles.

30K United Miles

30K miles and just a $60 annual fee. You call about 2 months before renewal and ask if fee can be waived. They will prob do so, if not cancel the card.

For those of us not fortunate enough to have lounge access, the public shower rooms are just 500 yen and the duty free shops give free tastings of Johnnie Walker Blue.

Comment

If like me you are doomed to cattle class here is a tip. The next time you change your passport under occupations put any of the emergency services. You generally find yourself sitting by the emergency exit as being less likely to panic in a crisis and at least have a little extra leg room.

Comment

(pattaya andy @ Aug. 26 2009,15:24) You change Passport.. generally find yourself sitting by the emergency exit as being less likely to panic in a crisis and at least have a little extra leg room.
                  If you get found out lying on your passport im sure you get all the leg room  you need .....and yes , you will indeed  find yourself sitting by the Exit ..The Iron grill type commonly seen in every Prison cell  

btw i just got my 7th Upgrade on EVA this year to Premium Laurel Business Class...that Gold card works wonders. It takes few years to build up your air miles but now i have gold card , i get upgraded without using them..

Comment

Up to you but works for me. It was a pilot that gave me the tip along with how he had a smoke on long haul flights. Btw when I was in the armed forces my passport stated I was a teacher. This was on to the advice of my C/O. It seems to be normal if not official policy and I never had a problem although I was once detained overnight at the old airport for having a couple of dildo,s in my bag . Anyone remember when you couldn't enter Thailand with long hair? I seem to remember a barber at the airport on standby but I was only a baby at the time.

Comment

Got a Free Flight with Etihad next trip due to Air Miles from Manchester to Bangkok

I was also able to choose my Seats (Aisle) on the outward and return legs so made sure I was away from the "Screaming" Kids in Cattle Class    ( you get to know where they are after numerous trips)

I'm also not a drinker before or on Flights and will have only a couple of bottles of Red Wines with my meals so dont need the "Champer's"  

Plus I'm now a Silver Member and nearly a Gold Member due to my Air Miles with Etihad so I get free usage of their Business Lounge facilities in Manchester, Abu Dhabi and Bangkok
                      Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                      Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Another 'prole' - I can't justify a 4x hike in price even though Qatar upgraded me on my last return flight. Bloody tempting, but I can put the money to better use.
                        You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans
                        I eat more chicken, than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah

Comment

I am divorced with two kids need I say more.... I fly economy and love every moment of it cause I know what awaits me at the end of my journey.

Comment

I just do the math...
                            How many shortimes for sleeping flat in the plane?
                            The result usually puts me off.

Comment

I got an auto upgrade now to Business. As long as there is a spare seat ..im in it...thank God for EVA

A pleasant day to all....
                              Attached Files

Comment

(Tomcat @ Sep. 14 2009,01:27) I got an auto upgrade now to Business. As long as there is a spare seat ..im in it...thank God for EVA
                                So it's a good idea to call up a EVA rep and ask about the passenger load to maximize the chance of the free upgrade. But I'm told by knowledgeable source that the loads are not reliable more than 3 or 4 days in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X