Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got mine at the Kasikorn on Pattaya Tai and I think it took less than 30 minutes...Certainly no more...I have since dragged a couple other BMs in to get one...

What I do is run up to Aeon Bank in Tesco-Lotus on Pattaya Nua once a month to withdraw from my Yank cards and then wander down to Big C (Kasikorn doesn't
    have a branch at Tesco-Lotus) and dump the cash in my Kasikorn account...That is actually less expensive than transfering into the Kasikorn account from the States...
    "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

• There you go: another alternative using a local Bank. Give it a shot gents...
      f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

• I agree, that 150 baht per transaction fee is irritating ...... which is why I take out 20K at a shot; where I live that lasts me 2 or 3 weeks easy.

Still though, almost 5 bucks for a withdrawal?? I will take you guys' advice next time and open a local account.

Even here in the states it's 2.50 now at most gas stations and corner stores......outrageous!!
        Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

• Do what I do-dont bother having one!!! We have lived for years without them. I REFUSE to pay the bank to access MY OWN money!! I do understand the need for the banks to charge as it costs them money to maintain the machines etc.. But hey I can live without one and so can you...
          Be careful out there!

Comment

• so how does that work ?
            Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

• You need one of these...Well, maybe a newer model...
              Attached Files
              "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

• There is now only ONE bank offering no additional ATM transaction fee (no 150 Baht fee). This is Aeon Bank. This is a link to their home page: Aeon Bank. On their main page you can check locations for their ATMs - to make sure you get the maximum locations, check both AEON cash dispenser (only cash withdrawals), and AEON cash dispenser and depositor (cash deposits and withdrawals). You can also select East Central and Chonburi Province for Pattaya locations, and for Phuket select South and Phuket.

For those staying in the Sukhumvit Nana area - there is an Aeon branch in Terminal 21 - the new shopping centre at Asoke. The branch is located on the lower ground floor, and is open if I recall correctly 9 am - 9 pm, 7 days a week, including holidays.  

I have a couple of photos of it to help you locate it.
                Attached Files

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                Membership Levels
                The Rookie Thread
                New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

• Thanks for the info Rx. I hate paying bank fees that go straight to the bottom line!!

Personally I chose to open a bank account at kasikorn bank in pattaya and that's been a good choice for me. Although not fee free outside of the chonburi area the security it offers outweighs the small transfer fees.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

• I always just bring cash. Am I crazy?
                    TEXASMAC

Comment

• I bring cash usually then deposit in my Thai account.

Your hotel safe is only one corrupt employee away from empty... and it does happen

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

• TM, you're not crazy, but you are taking a big risk taking cash only to LOS. As azza33 mentioned - hotel safes are not secure, even the in room ones.

If you can open an account with a Thai bank - as mentioned in other threads - you can use the Thai ATM card to withdraw Baht as you need, and simply transfer funds from your home back to the Thai account shortly before your holiday.

The next best thing is if you have a home account or credit card that has a benefit of no fee traveler's cheques purchase. If you have this, then get the highest denomination cheques ($US 500), so the 33 Baht stamp fee is minimal for the amount you cash. Cash the cheque's as you need if you don't use them all this trip, you can save them for next, or cash them in if you need the funds when you're back home.

Membership Levels
                        The Rookie Thread

Comment

• This is a lot of chat over a £3.00 charge for using an ATM.

However I also take cash most of it and change it up as I need it. I normally stay in a decent Hotel so would have thought I would be safe using the room safe but no guarantee. However I do like the idea of having a Thai bank account. Coming over depositing the cash or transferring it into. What hurdles are there for opening an account.

Best Bank & location to mongering spots Bkk, Patts, Phuket etc.

How long does it take them to issue a card and I suppose I need to have it sent to my UK address. Are any of these banks in the UK.

What do they need from a westerner living in the UK apart from a Passport. I have an Irish Euro account and it was really useful when I was on holiday in Portugal this summer. Its a bit like using a local Sim card. When in Rome......

Any points in the right direction would be a help.

Texas, cash is king until you get mugged.......... I always worry about one of our LB friends seeing your code on the safe. Mind you I keep my favourites passport in my safe. She seems pretty cool with that. Woe betide me if I crossed her, she'd probably get her tool out and blow the bloody doors off......

Comment

• Doubt you can open a thai account with a UK address Bobcat.

Wait til you're over next & give me a call, i will give you an intro to KBank if you need it. They are getting a bit more difficult about opening accounts, based on a recent intro for a mate - probably because (at long last) Thailand is 'thinking' about tightening its money laundering rules!
                            TT

Comment

• Thanks for the update TTC! Bobcat, there is also a charge your home bank charges for using an ATM out of their network. For example - my Canadian bank charges an addition $5.00 Can per withdrawal - so adding the Thai ATM charge of 150 Baht - that's a total of $10.00 Canadian extra. This all adds up during a holiday.

You may be lucky as a few Western banks don't have this charge - but now most do.

There is still a chance you might be able to open a Thai bank account - however as TTC reports it sounds like it is becoming more difficult. You could try various branches of Kasaikorn or Siam Commerical Banks. SCM seems to have the most branches and ATMs in LOS, while Kasaikorn is on an aggressive expansion phase.

Membership Levels
                              The Rookie Thread

Comment

• Assuming you set up an account on your first trip is it possible to electronic transfer cash into the bank accout from your home country before you go there ?

This would save the issue of carrying a large amount of cash.

I agree on hotel safes, only one corrupt employee ( or friend of there's ) away from being robbed.

I have always used my credit card and cash advances in the Philippines, I never even thought of setting up a bank account.

Comment

Working...
                                X