X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok Travel Info

Hi, just wondered if the Bangkok based peeps could provide info on two travel items:

1. Any idea of the revised time for the opening of the skytrain link from the Airport into town? I know it was SUPPOSED to be Songkran but we all know that was never gonna happen. It looked like most of the infrastructure was in place when I came back from the Big Bash, just seemed to be a lack of trains.

2. Has the bridge been opened on th #9 Ring Road south? I'm getting tired of getting pinged by the cops at the expressway tollbooths for fairytale traffic offences. Should make the trip round Bkk to Patts a bit quicker as well I reckon.

Many thanks

PS- for Borehog- sorry I couldn't provide pictures. it's dangerous when you're driving.
    I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

1) November, but then its been November for the last 2 or 3 years
    And I don't think its a skytrain link, its a separate line that parallels Rama 9 and Petchburi Road and terminates at Petchburi and Ratchada (where it will eventually connect with the subway).
    The terminal station does not look anywhere near finished.

2) no idea
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Shocking !!! The Rail Link Will Be Delayed !!
      The opening of the high-speed rail link between Suvarnabhumi Airport |and inner Bangkok, scheduled for December 5, could be further delayed following this week's strike by railroad workers.

Hundreds of State Railway of Thailand employees returned to work yesterday evening after paralysing much of the national rail service for 36 hours.

Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart said the SRT labour union had agreed to end the strike following the government's pledge that the union would participate in reorganising the money-losing state agency.

The SRT is in the process of setting up two wholly owned companies: one for train operations and the other for real-estate management.

The company in charge of train operations will be responsible for running the 28.6-kilometre Airport Rail Link, which is due to open in December.

"I'm not sure if the rail link can still be opened as scheduled, because the process to form the SRT company will be halted until negotiations between the SRT union and the agency's top management are concluded," Transport Minister Sophon Saram said yesterday.

He said he hoped the talks would not be protracted and could be concluded within two weeks, or else the SRT would face greater financial damage.

IMAGE AT RISK

The country's international image would also take a further hit if the multibillion-baht elevated rail service between Suvarnabhumi Airport and the inner city did not start operation as scheduled, he added.

The high-speed rail service between the international airport - located in the suburbs of Bangkok - and Makkasan Station was originally due to open in August, but construction delays led to a postponement.

Leaders of the SRT union, which went on a selective wildcat strike on Monday morning, causing disruption to hundreds of thousands of commuters, said they were concerned the SRT would further privatise other routes of the national rail service.

Yesterday, the union entered into a memorandum of understanding with the government to end the strike on condition there be further negotiations between the two sides over the SRT's reorganisation.

The SRT has been losing money for years, with accumulated losses amounting to more than Bt70 billion.

Sanan said the SRT management would have to hold talks with the union, as the latter still lacked a clear understanding of the reorganisation plan aimed at boosting the agency's efficiency and reducing its chronic losses.

Sawit Kaewwan, president of the SRT union, said rail workers had needed to take the drastic action of the past two days in order to achieve the union's objective, even though many commuters were left stranded as a result.

Deputy Finance Minister Pradit Pataraprasit said the SRT needed to be reorganised quickly, because the government had committed to investing Bt170 billion in more railroad projects over the next few years

Comment

Noone here is going to be using the public transportation train link to get into Bangkok. It's just too much hassle. It terminates miles from where you want to be and for an extra couple of bucks you can get a taxi to your hotel... this rail link is NOT CHEAP, does NOT connect to the BTS and will just delay your holiday by an hour or two. If you have any luggage at all then just forget it. Just getting to the train is goint to be a time consuming and strenuous hassle!

I imagine it will eventually be used soley for bussing airport employees to and from their places of work.

Comment

(Ivor Biggun @ Jun. 23 2009,23:37) PS- for Borehog- sorry I couldn't provide pictures. it's dangerous when you're driving.
          I'm impressed you actually started a thread Ivor.  Small steps...thats good Were not expecting much. Any positive contribution is appreciated. thanx buddy.

Comment

The grand plan is to have 2 or 3 more subway lines connect with the terminal station in town.
            It would then be the Bangkok version of Grand Central Station, with in-city luggage check in.

To say that this might take a while is a HUGE understatement.

As is, I can't see using it even though it does run near my house. A taxi will be less than 100 baht more than the train.

Now a high speed bullet train between Bangkok and Pattaya, THAT would be great !!!

Comment

(Snick @ Jun. 24 2009,13:29) Now a high speed bullet train between Bangkok and Pattaya, THAT would be great !!!
              Amen to that. Asok BTS to Beach Road... Less than one hour! Brilliant!

Comment

VMT for the info chaps, I know the BTS won't link up with the existing network, I understand the line will run ito a station near Ekamai where peeps will have to change over and take on the point about getting taxis.  I t's may just work out handy for the likes of me popping up with an overnight bag for a couple of days in Bangers, not for the ose traveling from afar.

Still curious as to whether or not Route 9 South is open yet and I definitely support a high speed link from the Airport to Patts. The infrastructure seems to be mostly there already and the line is currently being upgraded to dual track as far as Laem Chabang so you wouldn't think it is that difficult. many thanks to those who LIVE in Bkk and provided their valued input and opinion

As for Borehog please use the search button and see how many threads and TRs I actually have started before you start gobbing off. Not enough nuts and guts in this thread for you?

Since you like sex and travel so much why don't you practise it more often. Careful you don't jizz into the computer and blow it up

Comment

The 'truth' is out there. They'd like to have the rail link finished by the end of the  year. http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakin....on-time lets see what happens

According to the net there are 2 systems planned- a direct 15 minute express to the City Air Terminal and a 'local' service with 8 stops. If the Express works like the one in KL it should be useful for peeps going into town, and less than a km from Suhhumvit (600m from the existing 'station complex'.  I know some people see it as a non-starter but I'm prepared to see how it pans out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport_Link

Comment

Going around in circles here and finding the answers to my own questions! Apparently the plan is to open the line for the King's Birthday in Dec. Cost of a one way express trip will be B150.

Comment

Working...
                    X