• Show
Clear All

• Thai Airways Vs Eva Air

I am looking at buying ticket to LOS

From LAX to BKK

EVA Air ticket is around $700
    &
    Thai Airways is around $1000

Here is the deal Eva leaves LAX at wee hours at 1:20 AM to Taipei than to BKK, land at 11:30 AM in BKK.
    stop over time in TPE - 3 hours. Lax to TPE - 13 hours. TPE to BKK 4 hours

Thai Airways is direct flight from LAX to BKK, no stop over 17 hours leaves at 8:30 PM from LAX arrives BKK at 06:30 AM Now I am thinking is it worth spending extra money and getting direct flight and avoid hassle in TPE.

Has anyone flown on Thai Airways direct flight or any feed back on Thai airline with food and service. Hope flight attended do ST on board
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the world"
    Albert Einstein

I have taken the early morning (1:20 AM) EVA flight a number of times and do like it. There is no hussle involved in doing the Taipei stop-over and I do like the mid-day arrival in BKK. I think you are wasting your money by switching to Thai Airways
    BETO

Comment

No question Thai Airways is worth the extra $300 if for nothing else but the direct flight. The Thai service is great even in economy. All the female attendants are decent looking (the older ones well kept and no ladyboys that I saw tee hee). All are very helpful. If you are tall they will find you a better seat. In economy I got drink service until I passed out. My advice is to buck up for the premium economy I think for another $300 as you will get more leg room.

EVA is a good airline and service is pretty good. Not as good as Thai's but still way better than the surly old hags you get on US/Cdn airlines. When I flew back with EVA the flight out of BKK was delayed due to fog in Taipei so we missed the connection. They put us up in a nice hotel and flew us out next day on China Air back to LAX. Note China Air had OK service but the plane seemed not that well maintained.

Comment

I always fly EVA, but 300 bucks extra for a direct flight to me is a no brainer, would have to gree with Rafepix on this.
        Life is short. Live it well.

Comment

Check to make sure its a direct flight, I heard that they were changing the flight from direct to LAX->Osaka->Bangkok.
          It is Thai Airlines, so I don't know if they actually went ahead and did this, but that is what I heard.
          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

(Snick @ Sep. 11 2009,09:42) Check to make sure its a direct flight, I heard that they were changing the flight from direct to LAX->Osaka->Bangkok.
            It is Thai Airlines, so I don't know if they actually went ahead and did this, but that is what I heard.
            yeah Snick u right i hear it too

Comment

(narto87 @ Sep. 11 2009,09:48)
              (Snick @ Sep. 11 2009,09:42) Check to make sure its a direct flight, I heard that they were changing the flight from direct to LAX->Osaka->Bangkok.
              yeah Snick  u right i hear it too
              Checked with airline they fly direct non-stop.

Going to BKK is not a problem I am all excited about the trip, I have flown couple of times via TPE and no problems. Going back to LAX via TPE also has stop over which I dont like. Since direct option is available via Thai Air. wanted to try it out. I have asked my travel agent if he can do it for $900 tax included, crossing my fingers he accept my offer.

Since I am 5' 7" tall and about 145 lbs. I am quite comfortable in eco seat.
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the world"
              Albert Einstein

Comment

(Onebadindan @ Sep. 10 2009,16:07) Has anyone flown on Thai Airways direct flight or any feed back on Thai airline with food and service. Hope flight attended do ST on board
                No-stop service begins on Dec 1.

Row 44 has more legroom than u could ever need.

Seat Guru

Lots of good video on demand including Berlitz Thai lessons which includes video games to help you learn Thai.

You might want to consider puting your frequent flyer miles into the United Mileage Plus program.

Stopovers in Taipei aren't bad; they have free showers but no towels so bring an old towel u don't mind throwing away in your carryon or a plastic bad for your wet towel.

Comment

Yes, Thai Airways is flying direct. However there is a "but", The flight leaves at 9:39 PM and arrives at 5:30 AM in BKK. That means you have to pay an extra day to check in at your hotel or hang around waiting till noon to get your room. as far as ticket costs are concerned Thai Airways is at least $500 more than EVA or China Airlines once you include taxes in the price. Eva taxes are aound $70 while Thai Airways Taxes are more than $300. I hope this will help.
                  BETO

Comment

Hey PigDogg you are talking about EVA of course (i.e. Taipei). Are the showers only for EVA passengers and where are they?

Note when I did my overnight they bussed us back to airport 4 hours before flight the next evening. I asked for a lounge pass at the counter and they said no. I asked at the lounge and they said no. I called the EVA airport manager and he said no. I finally found another counter employee who gave in. Huge lounge with a wide array of food (not just drinks and snacks like most others).

Also bought Taiwanese whisky at duty free and it is the worst piss I have ever tasted. Having Scottish roots there is little I won't drink but no mix made this spirit drinkable so stick with the Johnny Walker Black.

More kudos for Thai Airways, I missed my flight (BKK traffic) and they simply put me on the next days flight no charge or hassle. The next day I didn't feel like going home so I called and changed it again. I don't know about Europe but if you do this in North America those pricks fuck you six ways to Sunday with charges and attitude.

Also can confirm that some of their flights do touch down in Osaka. For me it was only one of the return flights but this is easy enough to check when you book. I am usually so whacked out from free booze or sleeping pills that a forced landing in Uganda wouldn't register.

Comment

(rafepix @ Sep. 12 2009,08:52) Hey PigDogg you are talking about EVA of course (i.e. Taipei). Are the showers only for EVA passengers and where are they?
                      These are free public showers.

I've never flown Eva but have flown China Air quite a few times. One set of showers is near where the China Air flights from North America arrive.

I would take my shower then take a long walk to where the Taipei-BKK plane departs.

There are also free showers in the busier part of the airport.

It's been a few years so it's tough to explain the exact location but they're there.

Maybe flyertalk.com might have the info.

Comment

Here's some info I found googling around.

The shower San talks about sounds like the one I used a few times and the
                        one mentioned by brisbanepete I think I used once.

(Contributed by brisbanepete) - "Sleep and shower in Chiang Kai Shek International, Taiwan. Exiting any of the "D" gates, you turn left. Follow the hall as it curves left. You then take the first escalator going to the upper left. The showers are in a utility hall-way on the left. They have liquid soap dispensers. Bring a towel. Ask a cleaner for directions (other staff seemed not to know of these showers). Also, the CKS prayer room is a dream to sleep in. There are four separate rooms - Christian (has chairs you can arrange into a bed), Muslim (mats), Buddhist (mats) and other (empty). " Added 15 Oct 2006

(Contributed by San) - "Definitely the best place to lay-over is the Transit Lounge located in terminal 2, just at the intersection where transit passengers separate from other passengers. As listed in other postings, there is a place to hook up to the internet if you have your own computer (otherwise Ive only found free internet access in terminal one a short mono-rail shuttle ride away). Also there is a large TV lounge, large clean toilets and shower rooms, and a hot and cold water dispenser. There is also a childrens play-room.

Comment

I've flown both Thai and Eva Air (from Australia) and believe that for an extra $300 that you should go with Thai. For these reasons: it's a direct flight, the service is better, & the food is better.

My last trip with Eva was a nightmare because there were a bunch of drunks on board whom the tiny Chinese stewardesses couldn't control and to make things worse they kept feeding them piss.

Thai has the best service of any airline I've ever traveled. I support good service, not bad.
                          dreaming about LOS again

Comment

Sorry to hear that, sounds like a different EVA I have flown with. Had good service every time, never any problems and every time on time.
                            BETO

Comment

Flown Both From London so my perspective is slightly different

Used to fly Thai now only Fly eva Bigger seat pitch/ seat back entertainment systems newer planes

for me now i get into bangkok early afternoon and its a breeze getting through customs and luggae reclaim

arriving at 06:30 you have a lot of international flights from europe  and from the west cost of the usa it used to be a nightmare getting through the old airport  its better now but still is congested in the mornings

Comment

Working...
                              X