Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is New Year's a good time to be in Thailand?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is New Year's a good time to be in Thailand?

Hi guys,

I am planning my first trip to LOS in January of 2010 and hoping to spend New Year's there. I wanted to check if any of you guys have done that and if New Year's in Bangkok is fun and if the clubs have any special parties or happenings for the holidays or if business is low during that time of the year. I am hoping to find some fellow mongers that are willing to show a noobie around, so if anyone will be around during that time let me know.

Thanks,

Cal

Xmas & new year is busy,
    prices are up,
    there is always bm's in town.
    this year for me tho is a no no,

kids this xmas.

stevie

Comment

Hi, Cal.

Opinions will vary, but Bangkok may actually be your least attractive option for New Year's. By many accounts it often has the feel of just another night, with the exception that a lot of the girls try to barfine themselves out of the bar so they can go party with friends.

You might want to consider Pattaya or Phuket. I had fun in Phuket last New Year's and will be there again this year. I'm sure you'd be quite welcomed in Cocktails & Dreams that night.

But you'd be wise to move fast if you want to find the right accommodation.

Good luck.

Comment

IMHO Pattaya is HELL for New Years Eve, and a couple of days either side.

I've spent the last 4 New Years in Pattaya. It's way too over crowded and with the worst kind of people. Just when you think you've found a nice quiet beer bar to escape the madness, some twat lets off a firework in the street, temporarily deafening all within. And as if Walking Street wasn't crowded enough, they even narrow it with poorly positions stalls and eateries.

Saying that, I'll be there !      

Comment

Good point. Actually, Phuket is of course much the same. But I remember (from what little I do remember from that night... ) C & Ds being a nice refuge on NYE . . .

Comment

As Kilome says, lots of fireworks in Pattaya and very heavy traffic on New Years Eve.  Motobikes are generally avialble but baht busses can be full and take forever so the evening requires alittle more planning than usual.

EZY Bar had a party last year, actually it was party week with a Christmas party with a grabbag for the girls, Tppon's Big Bash, and New Years Eve.

I've always had mixed feelings about New Year's Eve back home, a little bit forced sometime.

Weatherwise it's the best time of year as it's the cool season. The cool season is hot to be sure, but not extremely hot or hot and rainy.

Comment

(caledor89 @ Oct. 18 2009,05:13) I am planning my first trip to LOS in January of 2010 and...
              Book early and then confirm and REconfirm your hotel reservation.

I have lost count of the number of times I have heard about people getting bumped from their rooms by 'walk ins' prepared to pay rack rate and from the others who were 'downgraded' from their original type of room.

Personally, I stay well away from the tourist areas at this time of year.

Comment

Anytime is a good time to be in the LOS

Western holidays however, are a tad more costly whilst in Thailand.
                You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Songkran and Xmas/ New Year are the the only two weeks that I try not to be in Pattaya. Fuckin nightmare!
                  Email:
                  Info:
                  [email protected]

Comment

(Bicycle Pump! @ Oct. 18 2009,06:46)
                    (caledor89 @ Oct. 18 2009,05:13) I am planning my first trip to LOS in January of 2010 and...
                    Book early and then confirm and REconfirm your hotel reservation.

I have lost count of the number of times I have heard about people getting bumped from their rooms by 'walk ins' prepared to pay rack rate and from the others who were 'downgraded' from their original type of room.

Personally, I stay well away from the tourist areas at this time of year.

I booked 3 nights at the Key Hotel (43 rooms) on Soi 19 months in advance and got a great deal for £130 which includes a Platinum Suite Room for 2 persons ( ABF included), free Transfer from and back to the Aiport and a free 2 day BTS pass

Also thankfully I'm booked in at theplacetostay and Pars Place ( opp LK Pavillion) both of which are Guesthouses and not pre-paid for the Phuket and Pattaya legs of my oncoming Xmas and New Years Trip so dont dont have to worry about "scam's" that might occur from Hotel establishments ( "Compulsory Dinners" etc )
                    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

(kliome @ Oct. 18 2009,06:36) Pattaya is HELL for New Years Eve

It's way too over crowded and with the worst kind of people.
                      and this makes it different from the rest of the year, how?

Try an island down south, get away from the tourist traps for a few days.
                      Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

I've spent the 31st of December in Thailand on close to 20 occasions, last year it was at Guess Bar in Bangkok with many of my mates and that was nice.
                        Pattaya (especially Walking St) is not a good place to be at that time.

Comment

fuck xmas in LOS.never done it never would,its my ole favorite 1st week in january for for 4 weeks me anybody else say ye?
                          robbo

Comment

(kliome @ Oct. 18 2009,06:36) Saying that, I'll be there !      
                            Me too...
                            "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

The only time that is bad to be in Pattaya IMO is Songkran. It's nothing but a time for lunatics to release their pent up emotions. The original traditions and meaning of Songkran, in the big cities anyway, has become a distant memory. Most of the asshole tourists with a super soaker in their hands have no worldly idea or care one iota what Songkran even represents. They just take it as a chance to be the natural jerks they are. My one Songkran experience in Pattaya, (there won't be two), I felt like being Guns Of The Navarone; or perhaps Pike, Dutch, Tector and Lyle.

I think I'll plan a trip to some Issan village. At least there, Songkran would more likely be what it was meant to be.
                              “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
                              ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Working...
                              X