X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantip Plaza

Well, besides hunting for lbs during the night in Bangkok, one other thing that you can do is visit Pantip Plaza, the major computer centre in Thailand.

Besides being able to get pirated software and DVDs (for those who have slow internet connections), there are plenty of computer shops that sell hardware and accessories, as well as digital camera shops.

One of my friends I have made there has a shop called WinSystems on the 4th floor. Unfortunately he is looking to sell it as business has dropped considerably over the past couple of years. He says it is down 30-40%. My last few visits there reflect his comments as it is far less crowded now than it was in the past.

Well, one of the easiest ways to get to Pantip Plaza from Sukhumvit Road is take the public bus. Gasps of horror! Why not take a taxi? some will say. That is also possible, but where's the adventure in that?

Ok if you're on Sukhumvit Road catch the public bus number 511 (airconditioned) or public bus number 2 (non a/c) if it's not too hot. Make sure they have a blue sign in the front window. As per the photos.

You must be on the even soi numbered side to catch the right bus - so that is on the side were the Sois are numbered 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

Bus fare for the a/c bus is 11 Baht one way to Pantip Plaza. The fare is based on distance and there is a conductor who will ask your destination and give you a ticket after payment. Don't carry big bills, especially early in the day! The bus fare for non a/c buses is 7 Baht to Pantip Plaza.

The first photo is ac bus 511
    2nd photo is regular public bus 2
    3rd photo is front of Pantip Plaza
    Attached Files

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

What's it like in the public bus? During rush hour it can be quite crowded, but off peak it's pretty good, especially in the ac bus.

1st photo is inside the non/ac bus. As you can see it has a wooden floor! Quite like the old buses in Beijing.

2nd photo is inside the ac bus.

If you are lucky, you can sometimes get onto non/ac bus no. 2 that is free. This is part of a government program to help the poor. You can tell right away when the bus is free when the conductor doesn't come around asking your destination and is just checking off numbers on a clipboard.
    Attached Files

Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread

Comment

LOL, you are quite the city guide!

hehe

But Panthip is also just a 10 minute stroll from BTS station Ratchathewi (or maybe a bit less, and about 20 mins from Chit Lom)

Comment

I have never been on a public bus in Thailand. Its not that I am a snob but there are just too many better options. I am VERY familar with that area of the city. It has some of the worst traffic-easpecially between 4 and 730!! A public bus would be considered punishment.

1) SkyTrain to Ratchetewi and walk 10 minutes.

2) SkyTrain to same station and take a 20 baht moto taxi.

3) take a moto taxi form Suhk about 60 baht

4) if you happen to find yourself in Siam Paragon you can take a golfcart form the side entrance and it will drop you off on Soi 18. Walk up Soi 18, take a right when you hit Petchburi and Panthip is less than 10 minutes....
        Be careful out there!

Comment

Good  advice about the buses Rxpharm  though I tend to agree with the others that for most it would be easier to get the BTS to Ratchetewi and walk.

If you come from Siam station on the BTS to Ratchetewi get off the train and as you walk down go to the other side of the station from the track you got off and when you get down to the street walk in the same direction as the train was going.

You can see the road junction from street level about 100 metres (yards) away so just head towards it.
          When you get to the junction turn right and you are in Thanon Petchburi (Petchburi Road).

Walk about 600 metres (yards or about 3-4 blocks if you wish) and just after you pass the Burger King on the other side of the street you will walk under a foot bridge and Panthip Plaza is there on your right.
          (Rxpharm's picture of Panthip is taken from the Burger King end of the footbridge).

I have travelled on the buses in Bangkok and they are fairly good if you know your way around.

Here is a useful website to help you out  Thailandguru
          The Bangkok Metropolitan Transport Association also has a website with an English language option but at the moment of posting it's not working!  BMTA

RR.

PS. They seem to have a problem finding bus crews in Bangkok so it's not unusual to get on one and find there is no conductor to take the money. Not surprisingly the buses are running at a loss!
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
          Kahuna

Comment

(manarak @ Aug. 29 2010,04:47) But Panthip is also just a 10 minute stroll from BTS station Ratchathewi (or maybe a bit less, and about 20 mins from Chit Lom)
            And it's also only about a 45 minute stroll from Soi 4...
            "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Wow, you guys love to walk!  

Thanks for the alternate ways to get there - especially by Skytrain as rush hour traffic is slow.

BlueBallz, it isn't as tortuous as you may think!  

Here are a couple of older photos of my friend's shop in busier days. He can repair laptops, even if it has a damaged motherboard. He has access to a machine that can remove damaged chips and replace them with a new chip. In western countries they don't usually bother and will replace the whole laptop. He can also repair/replace LCD screens.

So if you're in Bangkok with a non-working laptop check his shop out while it is still open.
              Attached Files

Membership Levels
              The Rookie Thread

Comment

I take the boat !

The canal boat runs parallel to sukhemvit and will take you to pratunam stop. From there it's a 2 minute walk to panthip.
                "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

You take your scuba gear along just in case...

Actually I like to walk but it's usually a forced walk from Pantip...
                  Sometimes it is near impossible to get a taxi and I refuse to
                  ride in a tuk tuk...

Thanks for the alternate recommendations RX and others...One of
                  the advantages of making Pattaya my base....TukCom is only a 5
                  minute walk from my room...
                  "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

(rxpharm @ Aug. 29 2010,11:26) Wow, you guys love to walk!  

Thanks for the alternate ways to get there - especially by Skytrain as rush hour traffic is slow.

BlueBallz, it isn't as tortuous as you may think!  

Here are a couple of older photos of my friend's shop in busier days. He can repair laptops, even if it has a damaged motherboard. He has a machine that can remove damaged chips and replace them with a new chip. In western countries they don't usually bother and will replace the whole laptop. He can also repair replace LCD screens.

So if you're in Bangkok with a non-working laptop check his shop out while it is still open.
                    Yes, I've got a dead laptop here that the shop won't repair.

I'll write you a PM when I will again be in BKK to check if your friend's shop is still open

Comment

(manarak @ Aug. 28 2010,22:47)
                      LOL, you are quite the city guide!

hehe

But Panthip is also just a 10 minute stroll from BTS station Ratchathewi (or maybe a bit less, and about 20 mins from Chit Lom)
                      I see I'm not the only one who thinks buses are a bit hardcore ! I'd be more willing if there were more failsafe guides like this, but I personally think there are more ways to go wrong as opposed to BTS / MRT where you have a good chance of finding an English speaker. I've always used the Ratchathewi 'method', but might have a go at this in November.

Now where's my face-mask ?
                      You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans
                      I eat more chicken, than any man ever seen, yeah, yeah

Comment

The bus stop is only 1/2 block to Pantip Plaza, just a couple of minute walk and you're there, a real lifesaver when it's hot and you don't want to take a taxi, as long as you catch the AC bus no. 511.

Here are the instructions on how to get back to Sukumvit. There is a pedestrian overpass from the 1st floor (1 up from ground) of Pantip Plaza to access the opposite soi, across the street for you newbies. The bus stop is just at the bottom of the stairs. Make SURE you take non/ac bus no. 2 or ac bus no. 511 with the BLUE sign. There are same numbered buses with YELLOW signs that will not go back to Sukhumvit road and you will have even bigger adventures!

Membership Levels
                        The Rookie Thread

Comment

If any of you are really keen on going by bus then a Bangkok Guide Bus Map would be a good idea.
                          I always make sure I have an up to date one because it is easily the best pocket size map of Bangkok and is actually accurate  -  many Thai maps are not!
                          Last one I bought was 50 Baht  -  I would be very surprised if the price is more than 60 now.

Beware there are Thai and English editions so make sure you get the right one!
                          Also make sure it's got a compass logo on the cover as it is the correct one not a poor out of date and badly printed copy.

The only two places I have seen them in recent years are the Bookazine shop on Sukhumwit Road next to the Starbucks Coffee close to Soi 5.
                          The staff there speak good English so you can ask for bus map khrap and they will understand you.

The other place is Asia Books about two doors along from the Robinson department srore at Sukhumwit Soi 17/19.
                          The maps are on the aisle just inside the door but the shop is chaotic so you will have to look a little.
                          Some of the staff speak English but some don't.

I believe they are also available at SE-Ed book shops but I don't know of any handy to Nana or Patpong.

RR.
                          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                          Kahuna

Comment

Another great thing about Panthip is there are a number of music stores inside, and a couple that specialize in VINYL RECORDS.

Maybe that's only of interest to me, but I LOVE shopping for old vinyl records in strange parts of the world.

I spent an entire afternoon in Panthip browsing through the vinyl records, but didn't leave with anything. At that time (Jan 2009) it was all USA vinyl, which I don't need to go to LOS to purchase, or it was Aussie or Japanese vinyl but well overpriced.
                            Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Comment

There are some old vinyl in a shop in the basement of Fortune Town (Rama 9 MRT stop).

I've taken the bus and canal boat many times.  Cheap.  On the canal boat, try to make sure none of the splashing canal water gets on you, and especially near your mouth.  If Snick went diving in the klong, it would be his last dive.

Comment

Working...
                              X