X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai taxi fares to increase

Here's an article from the Oct 13/14 edition of the Bangkok Post announcing an increase in taxi fares starting in December 2014.

Taxi fares to rise by 8-13%
    Published: 18/10/2014 at 12:43 PM
    Online news:

Taxi fares will be raised by 8% on average starting in December, with a 13% maximum increase from current levels to come six months later if service quality is satisfactory.

Transport Minister Prajin Juntong said the increases would come in two phases. From December to May, the hikes will be limited to 8%. After the period ends, service quality will be evaluated. If the results are satisfactory, the ministry will allow for increases to a maximum of 13%, he said.

The starting fare of the first kilometre, however, will be capped at the same rate of 35 baht as it has been for more than 20 years.

A 0.50-baht increase to two baht will apply to each subsequent kilometre and when the car stops.

The distance to be calculated will also be reduced to every 10km from 12km, resulting in lower fares for shorter distances.

At present, taxi fares are 35 baht for 0-1km, five baht each for the first to 12th kilometres, 5.50 baht each for the 12th to 20th kilometres, six baht each for the 20th to 40th kilometres, 6.50 baht for the 40th to 60th kilometres, 7.50 baht each for the 60th to 80th kilometres, and 8.50 baht each for the 80th kilometre or higher.
    Inflation finally hits the taxi industry - but it will still be fairly inexpensive compared to most countries.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

A couple of years ago my friend forgot to pick me up at the airport and I took a taxi the 10 miles to get my truck. The cost was $50.00 and it took 15 minutes. Mr. Toon is taking me from the BKK airport to Hua Hin for $60.00 which is a 2.5 hour drive.
    TEXASMAC

Comment

Yes, TM, even with the increase the rates will still be much less expensive than most board members home countries.

The first phase is an 8% increase - so that would be around 24 Baht more to get from the airport to Sukhumvit Road (approx 300 to 324 Baht), and if there is an improvement in service (unfortunately we don't have the measure for that), it will be 13% increase from the current levels, so around 39 Baht more than the approx 300 Baht it now costs from the airport to Sukhumvit Road.

Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread

Comment

When i first went to BKK you could still get a cheap cab that used the meter.
        No taxi near Sukhumvit will seem to use the meter anymore only arranged prices which i don't find that great.
        Even if you ask for the meter they will just say no, which is supposed to be illegal, but really who do you complain to.

Only if you get out into other parts of Bangkok will they use the meter, but then they won't speak any english.

Unfortunately everything in Thailand is slowly creeping up to western prices, beer, hotels and cabs.
        www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Sorry to hear that the Sukhumvit taxis were refusing to use the meter! Also yes, costs are increasing in Thailand - but it is still not too bad out of the major cities. The strong Baht has also been a drawback.

Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread

Comment

Working...
          X