X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai taxi drivers

I hate Thai taxi drivers, they are lower than rats.

On Friday i booked a car from BKK to Pattaya, Ok no problem.
    We agreed 1300 baht. The next day another guy turns up and said that he bought the job from the first guy and so he would take me..... ok no problems.  Then on the way he says that because he paid 200 baht for the job he was out of pocket and so he needed a big tip. I told him where to go of course.

I said that id also paid 200 deposit for the return pickup and that he had better turn up on Sunday... like fuck he did.....

Like i said i hate these cunts and one day i will exact revenge

TUK,TUK DRIVERS ARE EVEN WORSE! IT SEEMS(ESPECIALY HERE IN ENGLAND)THAT FORIEGN TOURISTS ARE FAIR GAME TO TAXI DRIVERS THE WORLD OVER!? DAZ.

Comment

I used to try and equate the drivers skill and sanity by the number of Buddhist symbols and figurines glued to the various parts of the car. Dash, headliner, mirrors, tires, etc, because the experience of careening seemingly out of control at 65+ mph, in a traffic circle, and a Buddhist statue in the center, a praying taxi driver, with both eyes closed, and hands in the wah position, will cause the ol sphincter to tighten up to the point that it will take a date with Rita and a quart of KY to open er up again.
      Then again, stay away from the drivers with no figurines...there's nothing left for them to pray about.
      randyman
      ain't life grand

Comment

Tomcat mentions a popular 'sympathy' scam that pre-booked taxis often use, but regular cabs you'll pick up in and around Bangkok are 99% hassle free and honest.

(Of course at 2 in the morning around Nana Plaza you'll probably find the worst of the cabbies!)

There is no need to pay a deposit for a return trip to Bangkok as taxis to Bangkok from Pattaya are numerous and only cost 800 Baht. Walk around the tourist areas of Pattaya for a few minutes and you'll see a sign "Taxi - Bangkok/Airport 800!"

As for Tuk Tuks - avoid these like the plague. Uncomfortable, smelly and much more expensive than taxis!

By the way - the maximum fare for a 'soi-bus' in Pattaya (by city law) is 10 Baht. Just give the bloke 10 Baht each time you get off like you know the law and he'll not hassle you for more.

The tourist police in Pattaya are very cool and you can reach them on 1155 or 038 429 371 or 038 425 937.

Don't hesitate to call them or at least threaten to do so if you are feeling cheated. They are there to listen to YOUR side of the story, and I have never heard of an instance of a corrupt Tourist Policeman (at least not a credible one.)

Comment

Originally posted by (Tomcat @ June 22 2005,01:16)
          I hate Thai taxi drivers, they are lower than rats.

On Friday i booked a car from BKK to Pattaya, Ok no problem.
          We agreed 1300 baht. The next day another guy turns up and said that he bought the job from the first guy and so he would take me..... ok no problems.  Then on the way he says that because he paid 200 baht for the job he was out of pocket and so he needed a big tip. I told him where to go of course.

I said that id also paid 200 deposit for the return pickup and that he had better turn up on Sunday... like fuck he did.....

Like i said i hate these cunts and one day i will exact revenge

Dude you obviously have never driven in Seoul............the english teachers I know here can really piss their students off by telling them that if they don't study harder and improve they will end up being a bus driver or taxi driver..........two of the lowest forms of employed life in the ROK

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
          ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

Originally posted by (Randyman @ June 22 2005,10:38)
            will cause the ol sphincter to tighten up to the point that it will take a date with Rita and a quart of KY to open er up again.

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ June 22 2005,10:41)
              As for Tuk Tuks - avoid these like the plague. Uncomfortable, smelly and much more expensive than taxis!
              From a financial standpoint Stogie is absolutely correct, metered cabs are the way to go. However, I love riding in tuk tuks, a tourist thing that's fun. I even like them bringing me to gem stores and clothing shops. Just don't buy ANYTHING and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ June 22 2005,09:41)
                regular cabs you'll pick up in and around Bangkok are 99% hassle free and honest.
                Sorry Stogie, i dont agree with that . I use BKK taxis a lot when im there and i would say that more than half would have you over given half a chance.  I am only talking about tourist zones and not in some outback city.

For instance in Patpong most drivers(75%) now will not go meterd even thoughnthay have the light on. how do you equate that with honesty. I have had so many bad experiences with these cunts that you will never ever convince me that 99% are honest. I hate them

Some one actually publishes a chart with the worst taxi drivers worldwide. I know the Czech republic were top the last time i see it in the paper, and having been there i concur with that.

I bet Thailand is not far behind.

Next time i will insist that the driver himself turns up or he can go and fuck his grandmother.

Comment

Perhaps the less honest Taxis operate mainly around Silom Rd, Narai Hotel and that area which is where im based when i come over. Actually i do admit that i have never been ripped off going from Nana back to Silom.

My advice is always distrust unless proven otherwise.

Comment

I have very rarely had a problem with the taxi's in & around the city. If you are at Patpong or Nana just don't go with the one's sitting at the street waiting. They are the one's who will try to rip you off & not use the meter. I have never had a problem walking 100 M up the road and flagging one from the street - my experience is that (as Stogie said) 99% turn on the meter & use it with no problem. Phuket is another story - the taxi/tuk-tuk situation there is out of control. I understood they were going to attempt to control it better after the tsunami. I wonder if anything happened.

The main problem seems to be with longer trips -esp (for me at least), to the airport and to someplace like Pattaya or Hua Hin, etc. To the airport these days it seems that everyone wants 400+ - no meter.

I still have not had too many problems at the airport (going to the city), although more & more you see drivers "cruising" the taxi line - not gettting in the line but trying to get people from the back of the line to come over. I still don't think I have never waited more than 15-20 min max to get a taxi from the regular line at the airport. And most will use the meter with minimal objection.

I did have a "meter" problem on my last trip. Got in said meter, the guy said no problem. Was joking around with him using my limited Thai, seemed like a nice guy. Then after the 1st toll plaza I glanced at the meter - at that point it should have been maybe 60 baht? It already said 200!! Then I watched as the thing ticked over at a rate I have never seen before. By the time I reached Soi 11 (Pres. Solitaire) it was over 400!! Its usually at ~150 and I always have no problem giving the guy 250 (50 for the airport fee & 50 tip). The thing is this guy knew I was not a newbie & still tried to say that's the fare. Fortunately the security at the PS got involved (I have stayed there alot). I gave the guy 200 and told him to get his meter fixed!!

There are bad taxi drivers all over the world- I guess its the nature of the job. One thing I keep in mind - at least when they rip you off it's usually only 5-10 dollars (same as in Philippines). I got ripped by a Rome taxi driver last year to the tune of 75 Euro (a long story)!!

Comment

Wow - I've never been in a cab with a speedy meter! Bloody cheek! On a few occasions I have gotten into a cab and thought to myself at the end of the trip that it's cheaper than usual, but not the other way around. In fact I'd be tempted to report a cab that over clocks his meter. Very rare indeed.

My biggest problem with cabs is that they don't like going long distances in traffic and they don't like going short distances for 40 Baht! There's no pleasing them! So I have often been waved off after I have pulled one over and told him my destination. I'm used to it now, though.

If you are getting into cabs in places like KC3 or the road outside Nana Plaza then of course the cabbies are gonna try it on a lot. Why else would they be there!

A 20 second walk to the main road solves that for me!

(I prefer to be waved off than ripped off!)

Comment

Manila taxi drivers were born in hell

and I can't wait until they go back

Comment

I cannot recall having a problem with cabdrivers in Thailand. Part of the problem Tomcat is that you PREPAID for the ride. or the deposit at least. The last couple of times I was going from Bangkok to Pattaya I had intended to take the bus. I had to take a cab from the Petchburi Road area to Ekamai and just started chatting with the driver. We haggled a bit and I got the ride to Patty for 1,000 baht-paid the tollway and tipped him an extra 100 to boot. Last month after enjoying two nights in Patty on me own again early morning I had intended to take the bus. Walking down soi 8 I saw a meter taxi and a couple fo guys lounging around shooting the bull. They asked me where I go so I told them. We haggled and I think I got it for 900 baht. It was quite simple.

Now it is strange to me that the driver can REFUSE to take you where oyu wish to go, which is in direct contridiction to the law here in NY.

As for the Patpong situation, there is a "taxi cab mafia" that has opertaed around that area for years and they refuse to use the meters. Case of TIT-mais ben rai!! be careful out there!!

Comment

Funny thing was on the journey back i was left with no driver,, so as i had a flight catch i said to the porter , quick get me  a car,, Pattaya to the Airport.....i was desperate now and time was running out......7 am morning ....flight to catch

The Hotel porter then walks outside the Hotel and speaks to a guy in a Car...The Guy in the car then phones another guy who turns up wearing one of those big money belts and then eventually a  sad looking driver turned up.

I paid the guy with the money belt 1300 and then he divided it up between the Hotel porter ,himself, the guy in the car and the driver. Four people to organise a car.

As i said i was desperate.....

Comment

Originally posted by
                              Now it is strange to me that the driver can REFUSE to take you where oyu wish to go, which is in direct contridiction to the law here in NY.
                              It's very much a no-no here also, however they'll use the "I gotta get this ship back to the depot, or'se my ass is on the line!" excuse!

And really they can say what they want to. It's their vehicle - at least while they are driving it!

Comment

Working...
                              X