X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condos

Anybody know about the legalities of a farang buying a condo in Thailand?

Has anyone heard of any horror stories; i.e. Thai government reclaiming farang property, wealthy old men dissappearing without a trace (I hear this one often...) etc.

Does anyone recommend Thailand as a place to retire?

If you did choose to retire in Thailand, what city would you choose to live in?

You can get a decent but no frills place Pattaya for 4000 a month.   Most farangs would probably want a better place if money is not an issue.

I've also seen a craphole in Jomtien with shared shower and Thai shared Thai toilet for 1500.   This could be used as storage space and a *very* occasional sleepover.  One Thai ladyboy shares one of these rooms with another girl, so she's paying only 750 a month.

as for condos, I wouldn't go through the hassle of buying one until I rented in that building first. Would give me a chance to see how much I liked that building and would also learn what a really good deal is for that particlar condo after six months or more talking to different occupants.

Comment

Try to join Thaivisa forum, which is the same of Bangkok.chat, at www.thaivisa.com
      Plenty of topics about daily life in Thailand and legal problems you incurr in when buying/renting a property.
      Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

Thanks....I guess I'm just thinking about retirement a little early and considering all places as possiblities....and must admit, I'm probably only thinking about Thailand as a retirement option because it sounds inexpensive and I don't think my cock wants to ever retire....

Comment

Yes, it maybe a good option and Thailand is relatively inexpensive, at least when it comes to the local made products and services. Places which are patronized by foreigners do not come that cheap however and good quality accomodation as well, yet much better than the major capitals in the world.
          Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

Check out these sites, to get an idea about prices - especially BKK compared to Pattaya:

http://www.fairproperties.com/condos_for_rent.htm
            http://www.farang-services.com/?view=r....id=1156
            http://www.thaiapartment.com/
            http://www.bangkokproperty.com/browse.php

.... and if you've won the lottery you should go for this one
            http://www.theparkresidence.co.th/

MK
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

Hey, those prices aren't bad! I mean where else in the world can you get a condo for $50,000!

Comment

..... errmm.... where did you find the USD 50.000 condos??

"The Park Chidlom, set on five and one half rai including two rai of landscape pool and recreation area has two residential towers: the 35-storey Somkid Tower and the 28-storey Chidlom Tower, with a total of 219 units comprising 87,000 gross square meters and 53,000 net square meters. The project has various unit types including 2-bedroom units of 140 to 148 square meters and 3 plus 1 bedroom units of 257 to 310 square meters as well as duplex penthouse units. Prices start from approximately Baht 15 million (= USD 330.000).

The €˜Show Unit€™ type E of 257 square meters and Sales Office is located at Childlom Road behind McDonald€™s being nearly adjacent to the site. Interested buyers are invited to call 662-719-9555 for an appointment. Visits can be arranged from Monday to Saturday between 10.00 a.m. and 6-00 p.m.

For more information about The Park Chidlom,
                please contact Hemaraj Land And Development at (662) 719 9555, email to [email protected] or register at our website: www.theparkresidence.co.th and hemaraj.com. "

Comment

Mai-Kee,

Park Chidlom is THE MOST expensive residence under construction now in BKK. We cannot really compare it with any other "normal" condo. It has been designed and marketed for rich locals and foreigners who has money to invest. However, the same kind of property would go on sale in London at at least one million pounds!
                  In BKK you sure can find a decent flat in a condo for 50K, nothing extremely fancy and big but decent.

Comment

I think my US/Baht conversion it off a decimal point at least

Comment

Originally posted by (Flynn @ July 26 2005,19:32)
                      I think my US/Baht conversion it off a decimal point at least

Then you must have looked at some VERY VERY expensive condos!!!

Comment

Originally posted by (Looker @ July 26 2005,14:08)
                        Mai-Kee,

Park Chidlom is THE MOST expensive residence under construction now in BKK. We cannot really compare it with any other "normal" condo. It has been designed and marketed for rich locals and foreigners who has money to invest. However, the same kind of property would go on sale in London at at least one million pounds!
                        In BKK you sure can find a decent flat in a condo for 50K, nothing extremely fancy and big but decent.
                        Yes, I know - that's whay I said it's for the lottery winners. Anyway you're right, it's the top of the tops in BKK and for that actually not expensive at all compared to other capitals. Just take S'pore or HK. The prices there would be triple for something like that. That's why I'm still asking myself why do companies still go to Singapore with their Asian HQ's?? HK has at least the tax bonus, but Singapore....

MK

Comment

Originally posted by (Mai-Kee @ July 26 2005,20:55)
                          That's why I'm still asking myself why do companies still go to Singapore with their Asian HQ's?? HK has at least the tax bonus, but Singapore....

MK
                          Well..I do live in HKG since many years and yes, I can confirm it's bloody expensive
                          You made a right observation - why HKG or S'pore instead of say..Manila, Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok.
                          There have been a number of reports and articles in biz magazines and the main reason is because it's much easier to establish a business/company in both places than somewhere else. Taxes are lower. Infrastructures are working. People are more skillfull, well, in S'pore at least..here in HKG the English level is ridiculous having been a British colony.
                          Opening and closing bank accounts is easy and bringing in and out money it's not a problem. In places like Bangkok you cannot even have a real credit card (not the little useful debit card) unless you are a citizen, for what I've been told.
                          Of course , efficient systems are expensive and this is why HKG and S'pore demand premium prices, which I can tell however are definitely inadequate for the mediocre quality you often get
                          Kuala Lumpur is probably the place with more foreign companies branches and theoretically could be manila but they are so screwed up in there that I'm sure BKK have surpassed them by far.

Comment

[QUOTE= (Looker @ July 26 2005,22:18)]
                            Originally posted by Mai-Kee,July 26 2005,20:55
                            That's why I'm still asking myself why do companies still go to Singapore with their Asian HQ's?? HK has at least the tax bonus, but Singapore....
                            Oh..and I forgot of course!!
                            The family factor. Wiffies of expats like comfy and clean places where they can bring their fat asses to have high tea
                            They are concerned about where the kiddies go to school
                            But aren't so impressive by the amount of bars and nightlife
                            That's more for people like us

Comment

[QUOTE= (Looker @ July 26 2005,17:26)]
                              Originally posted by (Looker @ July 26 2005,22:18)
                              Originally posted by Mai-Kee,July 26 2005,20:55
                              Oh..and I forgot of course!!
                              The family factor. Wiffies of expats like comfy and clean places where they can bring their fat asses to have high tea
                              They are concerned about where the kiddies go to school
                              But aren't so impressive by the amount of bars and nightlife
                              That's more for people like us
                              Hahahaha.....very true!!!

MK

Comment

Working...
                              X