X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momma's (on soi 23)

My mate Phils review of this new restaurant...

These English style pubs in Bangkok (including the dreadful Londoner) are overpriced expat watering holes with minimal service and and even less friendliness.

I've been eating out in Bangkok for four years and 'Mommas' is the only place in town for me. The Lasagne is the best deal for 110 Baht and that's the most expensive thing on the menu.

If that skanky shit-pit The Offshore and the sub-standard pricey Big John popped into Momma's and took home what they learned there would be more places to go in Bangkok for hungry teachers and ex-pats who don't/can't cook at home.

I agree that some of the pubs do decent nosh, but for most of us I'd say that after letting go of about 800 Baht for a meal and two pints is just too much.

I can get the same thing in Momma's for less than a third.

OK - here's the deal about this new restaurant:

Service - 100%
    Jono (Pronounced John 'o'!) and his girlfriend and partner, Wanna, are terrific. His attention to detail and commitment and her English and service are second to none in Thailand.

Ambience - 95% It's small but comfortable. The music is in the background and is mainly oldies and some jazz thrown in. The air is cool and light. (Not blustery from fans or ice cold from the AC!) The decor is terrific. Cosy, intimate and CLEAN!

(I wish they had UBC for the footy, but maybe next year!)

Food - 95% My goodness - this place is the best deal in Thailand. They use real cutlery that doesn't fold up if you eat anything denser than mash. It's HOT. The portions are BIG! The chips are NOT frozen. It's VERY CHEAP! And to top it all off the food itself tastes fantastic.

It was a wonderful experience to taste British food like it tastes in Britain!

I promise you one thing - if you go here just once you'll never ever go back to the over priced shite that other so called 'Western' style cafes or restaraunts are slopping out.

This was my second trip and I'll be going in once or twice a week from now on. I'll also be recommending it to anyone that will listen.

If you're rich and like noisy impersonal bars that charge 180 Baht for a Guinness and 250 for a plate of manufactured supermarket food then don't change your habits.

If you want great food at a great price in superb intimate friendly surroundings then give this place a go.

You'll be hooked.

Gimme a call next time - Soi 23 is the far end of Soi Cowboy right ?
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Thats good to know for the next time I am over. Its an English style pub then?? What, no tV for footie?? Thats gotta change!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

Comment

APART FROM FOOTIE, WHY GO TO AN ENGLISH PUB?SHIT BLAND FOOD,OVERPRICED BEER AND SKINHEADS SHOWING OFF THEIR FOOTBALL SHIRTS?! I TRAVEL 6,000 MILES TO GET AWAY FROM THIS GIVE ME TOM YAM EVERY TIME   daz.       2 RUNS WIN.

Comment

OK I will not bag "football" but I agree, I eat 99% Thai food when in Thailand. I say when in Rome      

Comment

Originally posted by (allstar88 @ Aug. 07 2005,21:55)
            APART FROM FOOTIE, WHY GO TO AN ENGLISH PUB?SHIT BLAND FOOD,OVERPRICED BEER AND SKINHEADS SHOWING OFF THEIR FOOTBALL SHIRTS?! I TRAVEL 6,000 MILES TO GET AWAY FROM THIS
            All beer is 49 Baht a bottle till 9PM then it varies between 60 and 70 Baht per bottle.

The lasagne, curry and chili con carne certainly could NOT be characterized as 'bland' although I'll concede that much of the British staple food can be a bit boring to many palates.

It's NOT a pub - It's a restaurant. Where I come from there is a difference!

This is not a place where tourists will stumble across. You have to know about it - so no skinheads! Also - if you are travelling here to avoid skinheads and hooligans from the IK you'll hate Pattaya!

By the way - we'll be running an ongoing promotion soon for members of this forum. It'll be something like 20 Baht beer if you by something to eat. Mention 'The Clubhouse!'

Still working out the details! More to come...

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Aug. 08 2005,00:23)
              Originally posted by (allstar88 @ Aug. 07 2005,21:55)
              APART FROM FOOTIE, WHY GO TO AN ENGLISH PUB?SHIT BLAND FOOD,OVERPRICED BEER AND SKINHEADS SHOWING OFF THEIR FOOTBALL SHIRTS?! I TRAVEL 6,000 MILES TO GET AWAY FROM THIS
              All beer is 49 Baht a bottle till 9PM then it varies between 60 and 70 Baht per bottle.

The lasagne, curry and chili con carne certainly could NOT be characterized as 'bland' although I'll concede that much of the British staple food can be a bit boring to many palates.

It's NOT a pub - It's a restaurant. Where I come from there is a difference!

This is not a place where tourists will stumble across. You have to know about it - so no skinheads! Also - if you are travelling here to avoid skinheads and hooligans from the IK you'll hate Pattaya!

By the way - we'll be running an ongoing promotion soon for members of this forum. It'll be something like 20 Baht beer if you by something to eat. Mention 'The Clubhouse!'

Still working out the details! More to come...
              SORRY,NEVER TRIED THIS RESTAURANT  BUT IT SOUNDS OK WHERE EXACTLY IS IT?  GOOD IDEA ABOUT THE PROMOTION,WE COULD SAY "STOGIE SENT US"?  DAZ.

Comment

Stogie....

I hear you drooling for pickles and Jimmy Dean sausages now and then, and I was wondering... can I legally bring into LOS, pre packaged unopened foods? Or will I need them when they toss my dumb ass in jail??

just wondering.... Randyman
                ain't life grand

Comment

Originally posted by (Randyman @ Aug. 08 2005,02:50)
                  I hear you drooling for pickles and Jimmy Dean sausages now and then, and I was wondering...     can I legally bring into LOS, pre packaged unopened foods? Or will I need them when they toss my dumb ass in jail...
                  Strictly speaking it's naughty, but they'll turn a blind eye, or at worse confiscate your stuff!

Don't worry - they've got bigger fish to fry!

No-one's gone to jail for illegal possesion of sausage!

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Aug. 08 2005,01:23)
                    [b]By the way - we'll be running an ongoing promotion soon for members of this forum. It'll be something like 20 Baht beer if you by something to eat. Mention 'The Clubhouse!'
                    Good password Stogie!   Would hate to have to whisper "ladyboy dick" to the waitress to get my 20 baht beer!

Wat u say?      

Comment

I suppose I can understand that you might get some cravings of food from home, given you are there all the time. I suppose for me it is usually no problem to eat Thai food all the time as I am only there 2-3 weeks at a time.

I know you non Australians or non Brits might not understand this but I always take a jar of vegemite with me on my travels as that is about the only food from home I miss.

Comment

I live here and eat Thai food 90% of the time, but sometimes I get a craving for some chips or something stodgy and non spicy. The Offshore chippy is ok sometimes, when pissed, but I wouldnt fancy eating there when sober.

Whereabouts on soi 23 is this place?

PigDogg, that could be a little embarrassing having to say to a cute waitress "I love Ladyboy Cock. Now may I have a discount please."

Comment

The restaurant is on the same road as The Offshore (Soi 23) Just keep walking down the road about 150 yards and it's on the other side of the road.

It's small but amongst a cluster of other estaurants also.

I'll be posting details of the promotion package this weekend. This will be an ongoing promotion for all forum readers.

(Incidently - I haven't eaten Thai food for about two years. It's bloody horrible. The last time I had it it was simply inedible and this was with a member of this site at a supposedly classy place in Ploenchit Tower. One thing that keeps me on the right side of the law and out of prison is the thought of having to eat this slop!) Each to his own of course. But give me Indian food, or Italian food anytime.)

Comment

Hey, I joined Stogie one nite at Momma's and could not fault it... great food, best prices and huge portions!!!!... worth a shout one nite if in BKK...... cute little GG in there as well

Comment

just looked at the link for mommas,looks good and big portions i shall give it a try if i can find it any chance of a map?ive been going to los for 15 years and i still get lost   Daz.

Comment

Working...
                              X