X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best deal on a cell phone for 3 week  in bkk

I hope to get a better response from this post than my Hotel post. I looking to get a cell phone for my stay in Thailand can anyone help me on the cheapest way to do this many Mahalo's for any help .......Srfaloha

DTAC. They are everywhere and the uploading for the prepaid card you get at every 7/11.

MK
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

Sorry, that's the provider. The phone actually you get at MBK, I think it's the 3rd or 4th floor. They have everything there. Used, new, stolen, whatever...... When you find a nearly brandnew black Motorola razor with some naughty LB pics still on it (they don't even bother to delete them), it's mine!!!

MK
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

Used is the way to go, then you don't have to worry about lost or stolen. Got mine for 1000 baht at the Com Center on Pattaya Tai (South).But that'sa super low end, but I imagine 2000 should be doable for used.

Comment

Why both buying a handset, just unlock your own and then by a Pay-as-u-go simm card. You can get most unlock codes of the internet, and you have the benefit of using a handset you are already familiar with.

Cheers
          Too old to die young!

Comment

thanks for the input guys ,jellybean I think the Hz are differant in thailand, so you can't use a phone from USA, I think Stogie told me that. what's the best vaule card what increment's better if any? Thank you all Srfaloha

Comment

The providers all charge about the same. 4 Baht a minute or something close to that. If you call home then dial 800 then your country code etc... UK is 8 Baht a minute as is the US!

New cells start at 2,ooo Baht and old ones get as ridiculous as 500 Baht!The numbers are also cheap a couple of hundred Baht each and credit is available everywhere you go!

I use DTAC!

Comment

I suspect that my Sim card with 1-2-call has expired sinc emy last use was in February. There's also a chance that things got further f*cked up in Bali when two different phone stores could not successfully unlock my phone to put in their Sim card.

So I suppose when I arrive in Thailand in a couple of weeks I'll need to buy a new SIM, no big deal.

On the package of my Sim card is a P/N number. Is this useful? The instruction manual is in Thai.

does one need any info from the old SIM when getting a new SIM?

is there an unlock code for a Motorola Talkabout? My recharge plug has a T2688 so maybe that's the midel #, I dunno.

i don't use a mobile back home so this stuff is a real pain in the ass for me.

Comment

Originally posted by (srfaloha @ Oct. 30 2005,10:19)
                  thanks for the input guys ,jellybean I think the Hz are differant in thailand, so you can't use a phone from USA, I think Stogie told me that. what's the best vaule card what increment's better if any? Thank you all Srfaloha
                  Most networks operate at 900MHz or 1800MHz except for the US (of course) which operate at 850MHz or 1900MHz.

I think you would need a triband phone to be able to use it in Thailand as I believe that all of the Thai GSM networks operate at either 900 or 1800.

GSM Networks  

Comment

Working...
                  X