X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery...where?

Where can I find a grocery store that carries western food products and goods in Bangkok?

7/11s are everywhere.

Comment

Depending on where you live in bangkok, I found the Emporium (Sukhumvit) food section one of the best. One food section 5th floor has freshly made food every day e.g.pasta etc... which is then discounted after 3.00pm every day. Across the road and down a little bit towards Asoke is a supermarket and I have found everything I needed there as well. Easy access as you can get out PP Skytrain Station and walk straight into Emporium.

Comment

VillaMart is a chain of supermarkets, they carry lots of western goods.
        Lots of locations in the Sukhemvit area. There is one roughly across the street from Emporium (Soi 37?)
        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

No pigdogg, I know the 7/11 but not what I'm looking for. Anyway, I think I will check emporium and villamart today. I'm staying at Sukh soi 3 at P.S. hotel...

cheers guys

Comment

lotus/tesco                    

Comment

Have you tried Foodland on Soi 5 opposite the Amari Boulevard Hotel , not a big store but they have a reasonable selection and open 24/7 also serve good food thai and western .
              Some other larger types incluse Big C , Carrefour and Justgo but none of these are really close to Sukh soi 3 sorry .

Comment

Originally posted by (monkeyman @ Dec. 13 2005,07:38)
                Have you tried Foodland on Soi 5 opposite the Amari Boulevard Hotel...
                Good. I was hoping someone would mention this place.

There are a few Foodland supermarkets located in Bangkok and other major cities in Thailand. They carry pretty much all the western items you are likely to need.

More...

Supermarkets and Hypermarkets
                Along Sukhumvit road there is ample choice as to where to buy your groceries and daily necessities.
                The best choice by far to do this is at Foodland in soi 5. It is open 24 hours a day, and actually busy at most times. The reason for being a best choice, is that you can find most necessary items and food here at lower prices than about anywhere else (except of course local markets) There is also a quiet busy restaurant counter for a quick reasonable lunch or dinner. It is located close to the entrance of the soi, and the only thing against it, is that the local environment is not optimal, that is, there are prostitutes and people who seem to loiter around (doing what exactly?) in abundance around the area, giving it somehow the appearance of semi-criminality. If you do your groceries, and have to take a taxi back to your hotel or apartment, you will still be better off than being things closer to home.

Tops Supermarket (at Robinson Department Store, soi 19) is more fancy, has a foodcourt, but prices inside the supermarket are much more than you would pay at Foodland. In effect, even when discounts or promotions are given, prices are still usually higher than at Foodland. Of course, you are at Robinson, and can do some shopping inside the department store.
                You can get a membercard at Tops and will be asked to present it each time you buy things. There are regular discounts for members only (some discounts are borderline, but sometimes there are some really good deals). Furthermore what you spend is tallied, and after spending a certain amount, you will get a discount voucher.
                We noticed something somewhat disconcerting during one of our last visits to Robinson. We felt the need to express our opinion about services in the 'fresh vegetables' section. Unfortunately, even after asking few of the employees, we could not find any mailbox where customers could mail their suggestions or complaints for the store. This seems almost inappropriate, since any major business or shopping center can learn a lot from listening to its customers.

Villa Market around soi 33, is the original supermarket in the area, and popular mainly with foreigners. It is expensive though, but you can find some items here that are not easily found at other supermarkets, even though the store itself is not especially large. The have a large bagel collection for one thing, and also a large wine collection on the second floor.
                Closeby on the upper floors of Emporium Department Store (connected to the skytrain) is a rather fancy supermarket offering lots of attractive wares, especially a large collection of fruits and vegetables, and Thai food, you do not find easily elsewhere. It is not as expensive as one would expect (in view of its location at Emporium) but possibly build as an afterthought, since getting your things from the upper floors to street level and Sukhumvit Road is a chore, if you do not have a car parket in the basement.
                Hypermarkets, offering cheaper goods, sometimes in bulk, and also cheap clothes and other necessities can be found when taking the subway. Tesco-Lotus is located at Rama 9 station, while Carrefour (and also a Robinson Department Store) is located at the next station, at Thailand Cultural Center.

Seven Elevens are ubiquitous in Bangkok and can be found at the beginning of most sois, and on the main streets. We think there are about 2,000 of these stores in Bangkok alone, and most are doing a good trade. Wares are somewhat higher than in supermarkets, but the shops are quite convenient when you need only a few items like cola drinks or a beer.

Department Stores
                Central Chitlom is easily reached (connected with the skytrain station at Chitlom) and offers a lot of fashionable clothes and toiletries. As most other department stores, there seem to be continuous promotions and discounts (instead of lowering the prices the whole year, as would be more appropriate). It has also a Tops supermarket connected to it on the first floor, and as most Centrals it also includes Super Buy (electronic goods), and a large collection of sporting goods.
                Emporium (located at skytrain station) is even more upmarket if possible, and offers a lot of shops besides its department store. The place is large, but has the advantage of having a lot of space to walk and hang around, which is what a lot of people actually do.
                Siam Square offers more like a large collection of smaller shops (a lot of clothes outlets), besides a lot of fast food restaurants.

Comment

Wow great report stogie! And thanx monkeyman, I stayed in Sukh Rd. four times before and never noticed foodland.

Went there today, and found most of what I'm looking for except for damn cottage cheese that I'm addicted to it!

Nevertheless good stuff!!

Comment

Working...
                  X