X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atms?

Just curious as to the preferred way to get money in LOS is. Are ATMs fairly prevalent throughout the city? Would you advise relying on my ATM card or do you think I should bring travelers cheques as well?
    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Hey dummy_plug if you are sticking to the major cities in LOS i wouldnt worry about travellers cheques bring some cash to exchange at the airport , to pay for the taxi and  maybe enuff for your 1st nite drinks and girl if you are flying in late .

There are ATM's everywhere so if you go for a walk you are sure to find plenty , you may want to bring a Credit Card to pay for your hotel or if you intend to make any major purchases , but its not absolutely necessary either .

Comment

Thx for the info monkeyman!
      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

The first time I went to Thailand I brought with me $1000 cash and my ATM card. After a few days of Beer, Booze, Babes, & Bar fines I need some more cash. So I went to the first ATM I found stuck my card in and tried to take some cash out... well I was in for a surprise... the ATM said "Connection Error" and closed so I went to the next ATM and the same thing... then the next and the same thing! Damn I was now worried... so I went back to the hotel and asked them for help... the guy said maybe I need to use an International ATM. So he tells me where one is and I go there and guess what? It again says "Connection Error" so I went back to the hotel and just did cash advances from my credit cards for the remainder of my time in Bangkok. This saved me! So my advice is to always have a backup plan because you don't want to be without cash in Thailand for even one minute. I later found out the problem with my ATM card was that it somehow became damaged and was unreadable. This can happen to anyone so don't totally rely on just your ATM card... have a backup money plan!!!

Comment

Check with your bank back home make sure you know what system it uses , i know all i have to do is look for the cirrus symbol ,, Of course if you have a damaged card it gets a bit tricky , having a credit card for a back up is always comforting .

Comment

I have had absolutely no trouble using the ATM's in the LOS that display the relevant signs, Maestro,Cirrus, Plus, also those showing the Mastercard & Visa, with the lastest chip & PIN on the card you can draw cash, but of course unless you load up your credit card, to be in credit, it will cost you considerably to use this method.

Here is something for the regular visitors to consider, some time ago the Thai banking system changed there rules to allow non resident foriegners to have a bank account with a bank in the LOS, Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank to mention 2 of the more common that have many branches & ATM's. You can also access there websites & read up on what can & cannot be done, in english.

You can now have account in the LOS with an ATM / VISA card, this will be a form of savings account except you don't get the percentage on your money the bank does, thats the down side. In return you get an account with a pass book & an ATM card with PIN.
              About 2 weeks prior to arrival charge up your LOS bank account with your budget using Swift or Western Union & it will be awaiting your arrival & you will be all set to go. The money will be converted to Thai Baht at the international Banking rate on the day of transfer, so you will not loose on the exchange rate, & I have yet to be charged commission. Unless of course the exchange rate significantly changes during your stay.
              Your account will stay active as long as you maintain a certain level of funds in the account, & it is a very, very low amount compared to western banks. Should it get frozen, simply walk into any branch of your LOS bank & they will sort it out. I have found them to be very helpful & efficient, more than i can say for my UK bank!
               This has got to be better than having large sums of cash on you or keeping it in dubious hotel safety boxes.
            Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

in pattaya some of the atms turn offline a short time from midnight.

there are atms everywhere now. outside every 7/11 and family market. now also installed outside nep and in walking street in pattaya there is an atm every 50m

Comment

There is an ATM right outside the Sunshine Hotel on Soi 8 Pattaya, very convenient.
                Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

Originally posted by
                  You can now have account in the LOS with an ATM / VISA card, this will be a form of savings account except you don't get the percentage on your money the bank does, thats the down side. In return you get an account with a pass book & an ATM card with PIN.
                  This is very true BUT!

Don't try this on your own. It doesn't matter how much Thai you think you know! I tried this with Kui and she ended up phoning head office, fighting with the bank staff and I stolidly refused to budge with my internet copies of the bank rules printed out!

We (me, mainly) caused quite a scene and it was obvious in the end that the only way to get rid of me was to give me an account.

The staff (at all levels) do not know the rules and they certainly do NOT want farangs opening bank accounts.

If you go this rout you'll also have to wait for the Visa-Electron card which you'll have to pick up personally.

If they mention the word "Work Permit" (yeah, two words, smart ass!) then you are fucked.

Take a lawyer or another pig-headed (educated) person with you on this one! Also phone head office to clarify the rules before you go to a branch and have the persons name, phone number and information at hand to correct the ill-informed staff.

Comment

Stogie Bear,

Yes, i have heard in certain banks this is the case, I was lucky, walked thru' the door, on my own, Bangkok Bank, 40 minutes later walked out again complete with passbook ATM / VISA card activated. I was totally up front with them, non resident & did not have a work permit. I was absolutely amazed. But have been treated very off hand in some branches. Never the less I have an account, passbook, ATM / VISA card, & it has worked fine since opening the account.

I think its luck of the draw on the bank.
                    Robin

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Dec. 21 2005,19:53)
                      "If they mention the word "Work Permit" (yeah, two words, smart ass!) then you are fucked."
                      Stogie Bear,

I am not trying to be a "smart ass" as you put it, i am telling the members of the forum what options they have.
                        As soon as you get into any kind of confrontation with a Thai they will dig there heals in, they are very similar to the Chinese in this respect, whether you are right or wrong. At this point simpley back off appollogise for getting it wrong, whether you are right or wrong & try somewhere else, in this case another bank or branch. We are a guest in there country, don't expect any favours.
                        Many of my non resident, without work permit, visitor friends have opened accounts without problems, & a few have had problems, & simpley went to another branch.
                      Robin

Comment

Guys..
                        Any one who lives in U.K best thing you can do is a opening a Flexaccount with Nationwide...At ATM You don't pay no commission and you get the best rate going...I've been using it fore the last 2years no problem
                        So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

Originally posted by
                          I am not trying to be a "smart ass" as you put it,
                          The 'smart ass' comment was not a dig at you or indeed anyone. If you understood my writing style you'd know that. Sorry if you thought that it was.

Stogie

Comment

Stogie Bear

No offence taken!

Some of my friends have had similar problems, the Thais can be as difficult as they are nice!

Robin

Comment

I've had trouble with some ATM's. I can never get money from a Bangkok Bank ATM for example. The Siam Commercial Bank ATM's (purple ones) never fail me...and are fairly easy to find.

Fuck the travellers cheques..nothing but a hassle in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X