X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lon-bkk tips

Hi all. Planning my yearly (wish it were more often) trip for May and will be flying out of England this time around. Anyone have any airline ticket tips/advice for getting from here to there? I have been checking out www.kelkoo.com and some of the airline sites for the cheapest tickets. The less I spend on the plane, the more I have for the fun. Any and all adivce will be greatfully received. Thanks.

MM

Hey MaliMike ,,,i would give http://www.kayak.com/s/index.jsp a try if u havent already ,, looks like etihad airways is about the cheapest according to them during may about 410 GBP return .

Not sure how u book the ticket as that airlines website http://www.etihadairways.com/ doesnt let you book a ticket past March ,, maybe send them an email with a reference to the price quoted on Kayak .

Comment

Hi Malimike, I fly TG quite a bit, but they are not the cheapest, i managed to get a TG ticket for my May 2006 trip for £599 all in taxes etc no more to pay. ( I also fly TG because of upgrades due to my accumilation of airmiles. ) i would also try EVA an excellent airline I used to fly them quite a bit when I lived in Taiwan. Both TG & EVA are direct no stops, 11-12hrs flying time LHR - BKK. I have just returned on TG from a month in the LOS, great service, great food, nice seat space in economy, my only critism is there individual inflight entertainment. No monitors in the back of the seats. EVA air has a halfway house economy / business class seat which in my personal opinion in worth the extra & they have good inflight entertainment.
      Try Travelbag, Trailfinders & dream tickets for good flight only prices.

Good Luck        
      Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

Try www.cheapestflights.co.uk

I got a great deal with Emirates ( a superb airline with top quality planes with your own monitors on the backs of your seats and great service) flying out of Manchester via Dubai to BKK in April for 409 pounds. They fly out of Heathrow too.

Cheap as chip's

I would highly recommend Emirates, it will be my 3rd trip with them, and I have flown with BA, QANTAS, MALAYSIAN, THAI and KLM to The Land of Smiles

Good luck

Dave...
        Your got yer Mother in a whirl
        Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

There is one there now, LHR to BKK Direct with Qantas for 445 pounds.

I flew with Qantas once from LHR to BKK and it was a bit crammed ( legroom was the smallest ive known for long haul flight) and the staff seemed to disappear for most of the flight  

The pilot made me laugh though, saying if he put his foot down, he might do the flight in 10 and a half hours  

The return journey was with BA and a lot better service and legroom.

Dave...
          Your got yer Mother in a whirl
          Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Originally posted by (daveduke007 @ Dec. 25 2005,08:16)
            I flew with Qantas once from LHR to BKK and it was a bit crammed ( legroom was the smallest ive known for long haul flight)
            Quantas are owned by BA.

Quantas and BA are the most fucked up air ways going and whatever you do , dont fly with these guys. Like DD says the legroom is nought and probably breaking some medical codes i am sure. You would have to pay me to fly with them.

Some Companies actually prohibit employies flying BA.I would say that the legroom on BA is the worse of all. when they refurbished 6 years ago they crammed 20 more seats into economy. book up in advance to use the toilet.

As they say in the UK about British Airways.............

,,  overpriced, overated and overhere  ,,

Comment

I fly a great deal with my job at least 20 - 30 long hauls a year, not to mention all the short haul stuff i do in Europe, none of us, directors or engineers, fly BA or Quantas as Tomcat says they are rubbish, the inflight service is barely adequate & as soon as you have flown Thai, Cathy, Malaysian, Singapore, EVA, the others are just also rans. The staff on these routes are too old to be good at customer service, the Asians just know how to do it & prove it over & over again. Seat space is one of the worst as well, if you can afford not to fly with these 2 airlines I would pay a little extra & travel better. We do occassionally fly with the Middle Eastern based airlines, Emerates, Quatar etc, & have no real complaints apart from they are not direct.
              Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

Damn, I wish I read some of these posts last week. Found a decent deal for a non-stop from Lon-Bkk on Qantas. Only cost me 442 and I liked the idea of non-stop. Of course now I have buyers regret, but don't feel like paying the 50% cancel fee. Oh well, live and learn. I have flown Swiss and Gulf Air from Europe. Gulf is better than Swiss. Guess I will have a new airline to place below Swiss now. Still, small price to pay for 25 days in LOS.

Comment

The price you have paid is excellent, its fairly difficult to drop below UK£500 on a non stop LHR - BKK return, so just make the most of it, out of the 2, BA / Quantas, Quantas probably has the edge. You might be lucky, get a decent seat & a decent crew.

Let us all know how it went.
                  Robin

Comment

By the way i will be there again for 28days in May, trawling BKK, Pattaya, Chiang Mai & Phuket. Already got my tickets withThai. I fly Thai because of airmiles & upgrades.
                    Robin

Comment

I was checking the Thai Air flights, just not as good a deal for me yet. I have a FFM card with Asiana, and since they are part of Star Alliance, I try to stick with any partners airlines. Just can't see paying more than $100 for miles. Where are you staying in Phuket? Will see if our trips match up anywhere. Thanks for the help and advice.

MM

Comment

Originally posted by (Tomcat @ Dec. 26 2005,09:07)
                        Originally posted by (daveduke007 @ Dec. 25 2005,08:16)
                        I flew with Qantas once from LHR to BKK and it was a bit crammed ( legroom was the smallest ive known for long haul flight)
                        Quantas are owned by BA.

Quantas and BA are the most fucked up air ways going and whatever you do , dont fly with these guys. Like DD says the legroom is nought and probably breaking some medical codes i am sure. You would have to pay me to fly with them.

Some Companies actually prohibit employies flying BA.I would say that the legroom on BA is the worse of all. when they refurbished 6 years ago they crammed 20 more seats into economy. book up in advance to use the toilet.

As they say in the UK about British Airways.............

,,  overpriced, overated and overhere  ,,
                        Just a couple of points.

Qantas (and not Quantas) are not owned by BA as by law they must remain 51% Australian owned. BA did have a 25% stake by sold part of it in 2004.

MaliMike don't be too concered seems like you got a great price and the service etc from my experience is not nearly as bad as they are making it out to be. Granted you might get unlucky and have a bad flight but this can happen on any airline. I mean as I mentioned in another thread Qantas is continually voted in the top 5 airlines in the world by passengers so it can't be to horrible now can it?  

Comment

Ozzie,

You know, I always thought Qantas was supposed to be a good airline. Like you said, sometimes you get a bad flight/crew on just about any airline. Since this one is a non-stop, going to try the booze and some sleeping aids and try to sleep most of the flight. Got some good peaceful tunes for the MP3 player to lull me off. Of course, have some Motorhead for the cab ride from the airport to the hotel Man, still have 4 months to go. . .I can't make it.

MM

Comment

MaliMike,
                            You can look at the seat arrangement on some aircraft on some of the carrier sites, like Thai, if you know where you want to sit, try & pre book that seat this should help the sleep factor. I do it alot.

I rack alot of miles up in the star alliance, with all the long hauls I do, which helps with upgrades on the holiday trips. I agree Thai are never the cheapest airline to fly with.

I will be in Phuket from the 17 / 18th May onwards, & I always stay at the Sunhill, it will be around 750-850 baht per night in May, very LB friendly, & real nice clean rooms with all the facilities, aircon, hot / cold water, fridge bar, nice size double bed, safety boxes at receiption, etc.

4 months to go, I know the feeling!      
                            Robin

Comment

Working...
                            X