Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dos and donts

Hi

Sorry if this is already answered millions of time but being new to these forums I hope you gurus would not mind it answering it again. Basically, I'm always fascinated with LBs by watching them on numerous LB websites but unfortunately never been with one (I'm sure some of you must be wondering if I am living in stone age ) Anyways, I am planning to visit the land of ladyboys but I would like to know what are the precautions one must know before strolling on the street in search for an LB. Some the questions that are in my mind are:

- Best season to travel
    - Best hotel for first time travellers (though i've seen hotel info here but wanted a recommendation)
    - What are the scams going on
    - What are the possible cheats one can avoid
    - How to avoid bar fine (btw, i'm still not clear how much they charge and is it on hourly basis)
    - What is the best time to pick an LB . Is it recommended to let the bars closed and then pick the LB.
    - What are the dos and donts for approaching an LB
    - Safety precautions on street
    - How to keep your money and luggage safe in hotel

Thank you very much for your patience and time to read this email. I will wait for the answers.

Thanks again.

I'll take the first crack at some of these:

1. I've been to Thailand in every month of the year and enjoyed them all. If you don't like rain then go Nov-Mar, if you don't like it so crowded go Apr-Oct.

2. You can't go wrong with Majestic Suites - great price, friendly and right around the corner from Nana. I've stayed there more than 10 times.

3. Been to Thailand more than 20 times and never been "scammed" - maybe a taxi driver trying to say the meter not working - that's it. If you keep your wits about you there are no problems.

4. Main thing is watch the drink tabs in the bars - just keep track of what your drinking (helps if your not over-indulging) and correct them if they try to pad the bill.

5. The bar fine is 1 time - for all night. Gives you the right to the girl for the night - of course you must arrange this with her also (i.e. she agrees to stay all night). Otherwise she will go back and try to get another bar fine. But there is no time on the bar-fine. You say try to avoid, but you seem very concerned with safety and paying the bar fine is the safest way to go. The bar will be somewhat responsive if you have a problem - versus with afterhours (non-bf) or with freelancers.

6. Pretty subjective - you can do either. I would suggest try it both ways and see how it goes.

7. Do's - be nice, friendly, smile, laugh, etc
    Don'ts - be drunk or high (that's the best way to have a problem, i.e. be taken advantage of)

8. I never carry a wallet - just money in the front pocket - no expensive jewelrey, watches, rings, etc. I have never been pick-pocket or any other street crime in all my visits. Stick to main roads - don't go down dark streets late at night. Mostly common sense things.

9. Lock all valuables in the safe-box (Majestics suites has them) or in a safe deposit box. Keep track of where your money is when you get back to the room - i.e., don't just throw your pants in a heap on the floor. Later when you go to shower that's when they are in ur pockets.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.

Jman

Comment

I started an FAQ in the main forum a few months back, so maybe try to do a search for 'FAQ'. It should answer some of your questions. Also, read my trip report in the (duh) Trip Report forum! It has some tidbits that you might find interesting. I was actually thinking of making a proper FAQ - probably get to doing that in a few weeks and run it by some of the veterans here before posting as you are correct, you are not the first, and definately won't be the last, person to ask these questions.
      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Regarding best season to travel...I agree that Thailand's great all year round...but from March/April to Sept/October it is HOT. My favourite time is November - February...it's a few degrees cooler and great for walking around even in mid-day. Be prepared to pay slightly higher rates at hotels though.

Comment

Working...
        X