X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Real Stupid Question

Just thinking about packing for my trip and was wondering just what to take.  

I'm normally a shorts/jeans, T-shirt and Vans dresser - pretty snappy - and not much of a city guy.

Since I'm an old beach bum, Phuket and Pattaya are easy, but what can you get away wearing for an evening out in BKK and Chiang Mai - to the bars and restaurants??

Appreciate recommendations..................

kahuna
    "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Jeans and a T-shirt are cool everywhere ,, its damn Hot so prepare to sweat tho ,, Sandals are fine too except in some Clubs and Hi So Resturants .

Comment

Thank you monkeyman. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I can be my well dressed-self even in Bangkok.

Thanks again,

kahuna

Comment

yeah prepare to sweat.
        if you have light clothing then i would bring it.
        personally i stock up on my shorts and wear them. the jeans are nice but in my humble opinion the jeans are made of heavier material than in bkk which means that my ass and legs get sweaty as hell. not fun. see you soon kahuna!
        This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
        Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
        Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
        And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
        FORT MINOR-REMEMBER THE NAME

Comment

I have been in Chiang Mai for the last 3 days, its red hot, so if you are coming over soon, a T-shirt is the max you will need. I like to dress up a little bit in the evenings, as I would fall on my sword if someone degraded me enough to accuse me of being a back packer I don't share beer, I buy GG's / LB's drinks & I give tips. 3 things back packers don't do.
          Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

Thank you all...ironing my very best shorts, t-shirts and flip flops as I type...

As an aside, what the hell are back packers? Time warp folks or what?

See ya relpax..My mouth is watering for some bubble squeak from Momma's.......

Comment

(kahuna @ May 06 2006,15:12) As an aside, what the hell are back packers?  Time warp folks or what?
              Good one; I was about to start a "stupid question #2" thread and ask the same thing. And I imagine there'll be a lot of response...
              Who the hell are backpackers???

not to put a target on my back, but I use one of those suitcases with the little rollers, and er uh yes I also use a back pack so I can keep one hand free.
              Am I to imagine it's more of the attitude, habits and lifestyles of the person? I guess if I do the "3 things back packers don't do" I'll be ok

randyman
              ain't life grand

Comment

Personally, I've never seen many backpackers (and yes, I've done my fair share of backpacking) around BKK, Pattaya, or Phuket. Maybe not the place that these folks hang out, but for as much bitching I hear about backpackers and the like I doubt that the typical traveler will not find them as much of as a nuisance as they are made out to be.
                I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Back packers,    travel around the world on a shoe string budgets, they are generally quite scruffy not to mention dirty in some cases, & stay in the cheapest accommadation possible. Anyone who has been down Kason Road ( spelt wrong ) in Bangkok will understand what i am talking about. However of late the trendy Thais have started hanging out on this road & its dragging the standard of the place up. They walk around trying to "find themselves" the great enlightenment, all very easy in the LOS, & of course finding themselves without aircon, hot & cold running water, electricity & better infrastructure in many cases than UK is all abit too difficult for them. So the LOS draws them in. They eat cheap, drink cheap, & stare & critise people like me who enjoy over night company of the locals, like they are doing the local area good thru' there mere presence, they sure as hell aren't putting any money into the system thats for sure! I have seen them in Chiang Mai every night, 1 large bottle of Chang beer 4-5 glasses, no tip, a whip round to pay the bill, & they have been in the place for over an hour. They also seem to lack respect for the locals & treat them as inferior, I would suggest they have a real good look in the mirror. The Thais are considerably nicer & cleaner than the majority of them!!

They are probably the major contributers to the Lonely Planet guides, some of the most missleading books I have ever read, never pointing out the real dangers of anywhere & lulling the reader into a false sense of security.

OK, so when you are young, you usually don't have much money, & you have few options. But don't start looking down on me because of what i am doing, I am putting alot more money the locals way than they are. I put more effort into looking respectable & into respecting my hosts & host country, I probably understand them better through massively more travel than they have, to far more dangerous countrys. I'm sorry i have little time for this type of person. There seems to be alot of them over here.
                  Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

(rob69in @ May 07 2006,14:16) Back packers,    travel around the world on a shoe string budgets, they are generally quite scruffy not to mention dirty in some cases, & stay in the cheapest accommadation possible. Anyone who has been down Kason Road ( spelt wrong ) in Bangkok will understand what i am talking about. However of late the trendy Thais have started hanging out on this road & its dragging the standard of the place up. They walk around trying to "find themselves" the great enlightenment, all very easy in the LOS, & of course finding themselves without aircon, hot & cold running water, electricity & better infrastructure in many cases than UK is all abit too difficult for them. So the LOS draws them in. They eat cheap, drink cheap, & stare & critise people like me who enjoy over night company of the locals, like they are doing the local area good thru' there mere presence, they sure as hell aren't putting any money into the system thats for sure! I have seen them in Chiang Mai every night, 1 large bottle of Chang beer 4-5 glasses, no tip, a whip round to pay the bill, & they have been in the place for over an hour. They also seem to lack respect for the locals & treat them as inferior, I would suggest they have a real good look in the mirror. The Thais are considerably nicer & cleaner than the majority of them!!

They are probably the major contributers to the Lonely Planet guides, some of the most missleading books I have ever read, never pointing out the real dangers of anywhere & lulling the reader into a false sense of security.

OK, so when you are young, you usually don't have much money, & you have few options. But don't start looking down on me because of what i am doing, I am putting alot more money the locals way than they are. I put more effort into looking respectable & into respecting my hosts & host country, I probably understand them better through massively more travel than they have, to far more dangerous countrys. I'm sorry i have little time for this type of person. There seems to be alot of them over here.
                    sound like they exported bums to LOS from Cali.

Comment

I think you describe *some* backpackers, but not all. I'll admit, I've seen the types you describe and I'm not a big fan of them either. But remember, not all of them are granola-eating, pot-smoking, enviro-friendly, do-gooders!

As a former backpacker myself, having traveled on a shoe-string budget in Europe and Central America with several groups of like-minded people, I don't think you can criticize the youth who try to see the world by whatever means necessary. Having walked in their shoes, I've found that a great deal of them have signficant respect for the people they meet, cultures they experience, and countries they visit. For those less traveled, 'The Beach' is not an accurate representation of the type of backpackers you will see crawling all over Thailand!
                      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

DP,

I except your points, but the better side of these people is being less & less demonstrated in the ones whoes presence I have to endure here in the LOS. Manners, politeness & respect do not cost money, & you can keep clean & reasonbly well turned out on a budget, I spent 20yrs+ living in very squalid conditions in the British Army, during active service & exercises, it just takes a bit of thinking about & attention to detail.

If the younger generation are anything to go by in the UK, they shouldn't bother to travel, they can't even show respect & politeness for there own country never mind anyone elses.
                        Robin

Comment

(rob69in @ May 13 2006,08:45)  If the younger generation are anything to go by in the UK, they shouldn't bother to travel, they can't even show respect & politeness for there own country never mind anyone elses.
                          That is the big difference ...In the East there is a respect & politeness ...
                          So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

I think highly of backpackers. Think it's a wise choice to save enough money to see the world rather than pissing it away in their home country.

Next trip, I'll be staying near the Khao San area instead of Sukhumvit. Maybe they'll disrespect me and I'll change my mind but I haven't had any problems with them yet.

Comment

(69billy @ May 13 2006,19:22)
                              (rob69in @ May 13 2006,08:45)  If the younger generation are anything to go by in the UK, they shouldn't bother to travel, they can't even show respect & politeness for there own country never mind anyone elses.
                              That is the big difference ...In the East there is a respect & politeness ...
                              One of the nicest things about the LOS & Philippines is the niceness / pleasantness of the people it is a pleasure to be amoungst them.

In UK now I have lost my patience & termper before I have got out of bed, the service & attitude of the majority has become so bad.

As for the word respect it might as well be scrubbed out the dictionary!
                              Robin

Comment

Working...
                              X