X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage Charge

What's the scoop with Air Asia and Nok Air luggage charges?

Can I bring lots of stuff as a carryon to avoid a luggage surcharge?

Store excess at Don Muang?

I'll be flying to Udon on July1 and be coming back to BKK on july 4th so thinking maybe I should store some luggage at airport. Anyone know exactly where it is.

They are pretty strict.20k limit and one piece of hand luggage (on Air Asia)

i used them quite a bit on flights from Singapore/Bangkok and they always were bang on, and you had to pay excess.

I think there is a luggage storage area in Terminal 2 at don muang
    seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Air Asia is very strict on luggage allowance and they also weight hand luggage 7kgs I think. Best bet is to store your excess luggage at the excess luggage counter at the domestic airport before you check -in. As you enter turn left and walk a few metres past the money exchange and you will see it. I have used it before on my trips to ChiangMai and Udon Thani and it is efficent and cheap. From memory they charge per piece so load up one big instead of two small bags. Try and get to the exit rows in the middle of the aircraft (737-400)as you get loads of leg room.

Check out the ladyboys in Robinson Department store, there's heaps of cute ones. Look on the second floor around the instant photo booths.

Chareon Sri Grand is the best value hotel for the price and centrally located next to shopping centre and bars.

Comment

(newcomer @ Jun. 10 2006,17:01) Try and get to the exit rows in the middle of the aircraft (737-400)as you get loads of leg room.
        Just not the seat next to the door... there is a big box attached to the emergency exit doors... must be the inflatable escape slide, your legs will be pushed up against it... you have to sit sideways... only good thing is you can get up when ever you want to go piss without having to wake up the poor sap sitting next to you...... and if the plane crashes you're the first out the door!

They asked me when I was seated here if I would be willing and able to help evacuate the plane in a crash... I told them sure!!!! ...... fuck if the planes really on fire I'm out the door !!!!!!

Comment

Yes that's what I like about the Emergency Exit. First out as long as the fucking shoot is working otherwise it's going to hurt.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the leg room, I'm obssessive bout that, although for one hour flight I can even take the dreaded middle seat.

On my original flight from FRL (Farangland) to BKK, I'll have them weigh my luggafge to get a better idea weight cause I'm not sure what 20 kilos or 44 pounds is exactly.

Comment

(PigDogg @ Jun. 10 2006,11:56) What's the scoop with Air Asia and Nok Air luggage charges?

Can I bring lots of stuff as a carryon to avoid a luggage surcharge?
              Just came back from Thailand and used Air Asia for a trip to Phuket. Both flights were on time but they do have a reputation for having delayed flights. They did change the flight times for both my flights after I made the reservation so make sure you check with the airline before going to the airport because they won't notify you if the times have changed. And as others suggested I wouldn't use them if I had to catch a connecting flight.
              They are strict on checked luggage. Anything over 15kg is charged at a rate of 160Baht/kg so it can add up quickly. They have an advertised limit of 7kg for carry on but didn't see them weighing the carry on for anyone. I'm sure my carry on was more than 7kg.
              They also required checkin 45 mins. before flight departure. I didn't test it but have heard that they are very strict about this.

Comment

Some additional comments

I would echo the comments about Air Asia regarding timeliness and connections - in a word, not!

If they are not always on time, however, they require YOU to be on time - I have found the 45 minute cutoff time for check-in to be enforced without exception at all stations

I suppose (in this as in all things) you get what you pay for

My experience is that Air Asia enforces the checked baggage weight limit sporadically - for example, last week no excess charge for 2 passengers 5 kg overweight (that is, 35 kg total) flying BKK-SIN

I think enforcement practice in this regard depends on how well (that is, politely) you present yourself to the agent, and their inclination to charge you

If the Air Asia agent does require you to pay the charges for overweight luggage, you will typically be required to leave the check-in line and go to the ticket office to pay the fees - then bring the receipt back to ticket counter to obtain your boarding pass

If there is a line at the ticket office, this can be a time-consuming affair - so if your baggage weight is suspect, be sure to arrive with plenty of time in hand to make the 45 minute cutoff

One last note about Air Asia booking practices - they will not accept a 'same-day' flight booking either online or over the telephone

They will tell you over the phone how many seats are available on your desired 'same day' flight, however, and advise you to go to the airport to purchase ticket (recommend 2 hrs prior to flight)

No experience with Nok Air, sorry

While Tiger Airways is more usually more timely than Air Asia, they enforce the 15kg checked luggage restriction without exception - and yes, it can get expensive very quickly

Being a part of SIA, they also manage their fares rigorously - when a flight approaches full, the fare will go up dramatically

Flight change fees and restrictions are onerous as well

A Singapore taxi driver last week described them as a "phony budget airline with bad attitude"

Could not agree more, avoid them if you can

There is a left luggage office in Don Muang in Terminal 1 as well - expensive for more that a few days, however, you might be better off leaving it at your BKK hotel irrespective of taxi fees and tip to hotel bellman

All in all - if you want the best fare (last week 1900 baht BKK-SIN one-way) and do not mind the occasional late arrival, recommend Air Asia

One postscript - do avoid 1-2-Go / Orient Thai if at all possible

I have many friends who have worked at that airline in the past - and all state without hesitation that the corners Udom cuts on aircraft maintenance makes the operation a dodgy, if not unsafe, operation

Good luck and safe travels

Comment

I have flown Nok Air several times and find them better than the other budget airlines operating from Bangkok.

Not sure if it was luck or the fact that they are part of Thai International Airlines but it appears when you depart on Nok Air you get a proper walk-onto the plane departure gate. Others you have to catch a bus across the tarmac and climb the stairs of the aircraft. However I think it depends on traffic and congestion rather than playing favourites.

I discovered on my last trip it was cheaper to book business class on Nok Air (called Nok Plus on their website) than economy on Thai. I also recieved a bigger luggage allowance, newspaper, food  and drink. However I didn't recieve any points but for domestic flights I am not worried or need to use the business class lounge on short haul flights.

Interesting that the local lads that travel from KL to BKK have never had any long delays. I wonder whether its because they are a malaysian airline so the first people to look after are the locals and people departing from KL and Malaysia? Good luck to you guys, I'm going to try again when I go to KL.

As for Orient 1-2 Go I tried it once when I had to go to ChiangMai urgently when my girlfriend was sick and after I got onto the plane (a 707 or 747 200 series) I realised how old the plane was. Oh my God, I thought well thats it!

A bit like those old Russian Antonovs that should have been replaced years ago but still keep flying around in strange places.

So when you have time to burn and are not chasing connecting flights or meeting friends or tours etc.... then one can choose cheaper airlines over the local carriers who will hopefully feed and water you and get you there on time.

If anyone remembers back to last year when the Government had the Bangkok Air Show at Don Muang..........god only knows why they would have it at the International Airport but they did so as I sat stewing for my stupidity in Udon Thani Airport  for travelling with Air Asia, the staff told us we would be delayed for 1 hour and that this delay affected all airlines.

So I thought well thats ok, I have no control over a stupid airshow and the other airlines will be affected so sit down and relax. another 1 hour delay, than another 1 hour and then Air Asia was the next in line to depart and then Nok Air and then Thai.

4 hours later Nok had arrived and left so had Thai and Air Asia was the last to leave. Why......priority my fellow travellers!

Air Asia in Thailand is given the lowest clearance and speed factor even from their own head office. The real reason was they had mechancial problems in Bangkok and had to redirect another plane to Udon Thani to pick us up.........ahhhhhhhhh,

Don't worry sir, you can have free water for your trouble.  NICE.

A few years ago I would have killed the guy....... but now I go with the flow and smile and then kill the guy!  

When in Thailand..............do as the Thais do! Mai Pen Rai!

Comment

Working...
                  X