X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moneyChangers Don Muang Domestic

Anyone know if the moneychangers at the Domestic terminal give the same exchange rate as when you're leaving international customs?

Hello PigDogg,

I'm pretty sure that you get the same rate at Don Muang in all the banks.   Unlike Heathrow where you get a worse rate in the departure lounge  -  rip-off    

You do get a better rate in the change booths in Sukumwit than in the airport -  typically 0.7 Baht/UK£  -  0.4 Baht/US$ maybe?

I have normally found that you get a better rate in and around Bangkok than you do outside in the country  -  but that many not always be the case.

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

Comment

I would say use an ATM for withdrawing to get the best rate and for selling meet me at the bar  or keep it for next trip.
      You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

The problem with using ATM machines is nearly all banks charge a fee on money withdrawls in foreign countries. The rate varies but it's normally around 1-2%.

I say nearly all - I have a card from the UK that does not charge (Nationwide BS) and I think it's Snick who mentioned he has one from the US.

Also my experience with ATM rates of exchange is that they have always been worse than the rates at the exchange booths.

RR.
        Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

Kahuna

Comment

(Road Runner @ Jun. 08 2006,15:38) Also my experience with ATM rates of exchange is that they have always been worse than the rates at the exchange booths.
          Lately this has been the case. With exchange rates changing every day it seems the MoneyChangers get a new rate every day, where as the ATM will give you the rate when the charge hits your home bank , which could be 2-3 days later.
          seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

One other thing 'Herself' pointed out is that for some reason you nearly always get a slightly better rate of exchange on a Monday

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

(Road Runner @ Jun. 08 2006,18:38) One other thing 'Herself' pointed out is that for some reason you nearly always get a slightly better rate of exchange on a Monday  

RR.
              I recall hearing that the banks tend to have the same rate Mon-Thur but sometimes there are differences betweeen banks on the wekend (especially when the baht loses value).

Comment

...a little different but somewhat related is...watch these fuckers
                I was in Chiang Mai a few years ago, and I was at the window doing exchange. Well the crafty little bastard handed me out the slip like they always do, then handed me out my baht with what looked like a cash register tape reciept. I started to take my cash when I realized what was happening. He was doing a "blind" transaction on his own paper, and tried to short me 1000 baht. Then what would happen is after I walked away, he would record a new "official" transaction on bank forms, based on the baht amount he had paid out and pocketed the US cash as his cut. I wanted to kill the little prick, but figured the penalities were worse than getting ripped off so with the "reciept" still in hand, I found a cop, brought him back to the booth and explained the situation. The little bastard got what he deserved when the penality was passed down....they basically shooed me away. I guess he was in my pocket too. So as Randyman say..."do the math, and watch the bastards"
                happy trails
                RM
                ain't life grand

Comment

My transaction costs using any ATM in Thailand...............

10/04/06
                  Foreign currency AMT THB 20,000
                  includes currency conversion charge $18.06 (aus)
                  cost me $740.53 (aus)
                  plus $5.00 ATM transaction fee.

so in total I was charged 23.06 (AUS) fees for using the ATM.

Although this is one of the safest methods of holding and withdrawing money the banks have woken up to it and now kill you in fees. When I rang up and told them how angry I was there said I didn't to take cash and travellers cheques to offset the bank fees. Fuck off idiots tell me the truth...............

so after much probing I discover you can get a debit card and you simple credit whatever amount you need into the account and take it with you. Take it to the nearest bank and you can withdraw from that with no fees. Do they advertise it? NO of course not.
                  So on the next trip its debit card, credit card and some cash.

Comment

Working...
                  X