X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Stay Help!

Planning for my upcoming retirement. Would like to spend half my time in Thailand, probably in 3 month increments. Initially will probably stay at a different location for each trip (Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chang Mai, etc.). My basic requirements would be a minimum 1-BR furnished apartment, easy access to transportation, high speed internet, satellite TV, AC. My budget would be in the 20-30K Baht/month range. Any suggestions on places to stay that would meet these requirements or a good source of information on long term stay apartments? Does anyone know or use RE agents in Thailand to assist in finding places? Thanks!

There are thousands upon thousands of places in your price range! Very nice ones too!

Don't worry - get here first then start looking.

When you do your legwork then visit the place at night. Do the people living there cook outside or own Karaoke machines? How much is the unit charge for electricity, is there a direct phone line? How is your deposit returned?

You can go to mrroomfinder.com or thaiapartment.com for an idea of what you want but you are best getting recommendations fro websites like thaivisa.com or even ajarn.com.

There are lots of scams and pitfalls in renting so be a wary buyer and always take a Thai person and a list of questions with you!

http://mrroomfinder.com/index.php
    http://thaiapartment.com/

Comment

Top Dog,

Going through the same process myself. Here is my list of things to consider when you hit the ground in Bangkok.

€¢ Location, Location, Location €“ How far away is the nearest BTS skytrain station, MRTA subway station, expressway entrance, hospital, international school, supermarket, mini-mart, restaurant, pub, and park? Are they within walking distance? How easy is it to get a taxi? What is the rest of the neighbourhood like?

€¢ Price €“ What's the rent and is it negotiable? Do you get a discount if you sign a long-term lease? Are you required to leave a deposit and how easy is it to get it back when you leave? What are the electricity and water charges? Are there frequent rate increases, late fees and charges for additional guests? For example, will you get charged extra if your favourite ladyboy decides to come and stay with you for two months?

€¢ Decor €“ Are you happy with the apartment's decor and can you re-decorate it yourself if you so desire? Some residences may not allow you to change the interior design of the rooms. So make sure to ask before you start drilling holes in the wall to hang up photos of Mint's dick.

€¢ The Lobby €“ A lobby says a lot about the residence. And because it's the first thing people see when they enter and the last thing they see when they are leaving; it is worth taking into consideration.

€¢ Facilities €“ Does the property have its own restaurant, fitness centre, swimming pool, spa, and business centre? What are their operating hours? Are they free for residents and, if not, how much will it cost you to use them? Is the equipment new, does everything work, and how crowded do they get?

€¢ View €“ Views can make or break any apartment, which is why great views come at a premium.

€¢ Natural Lighting €“ How much natural light does the exposure and windows provide and is it enough to fill the entire apartment during the daytime?

€¢ Service & Friendliness €“ Do things operate in a timely and orderly fashion? Are the staff polite and helpful? Can they speak English and are you easily understood? How long does it take to get your requests filled? Is the GM visibly on the premises and easily accessible.

€¢ Cleanliness €“ No need for a white glove or a magnifying glass but you might ask how often the rubbish is taken away.

€¢ Upkeep €“ Is the outside of the property well maintained? Take a walk around: all the way around. How often does the exterminator come? How often are the air-conditioners serviced?

€¢ Security €“ Are security guards, doormen and front desk personnel on duty 24-hours and do they stay awake? How easily can non-tenants gain access to the residential floors? Are there key card locks and CCTV?

€¢ Housekeeping €“ Is housekeeping included in the rent and, if not, how much does it cost? Also, how often will they come, what will they do while they are there, and how thorough are they?

€¢ Pets €“ Do you plan to bring your big, smelly, English sheep dog into an executive serviced apartment where the cheapest room goes for 100,000 baht per month? Ask first, because some posh places politely say "no" to life with Lassie.

€¢ Telephone, ADSL, Cable/Satellite TV €“ Find out what the serviced apartment has in the way of telephones, internet and television and whether or not you need to pay extra for it. For private telephone lines, find out what the baht per minute charge is. For high-speed internet access, test it out first to see how fast it really is. With cable/satellite TV, make sure you can get all your favourite channels and ask if the signal is affected during rainstorms.

€¢ Storage €“ Does the property provide additional storage space available for big, bulky items like bikes or your favourite over-sized, hard-shell suitcase?

€¢ Special requests €“ How far will management go to keep you happy? A good way to gauge this is by seeing how willing they are to grant your special requests.

€¢ Square Metres €“ Once you get all your stuff moved in and add your own personal touches, will the apartment be big enough to keep you from going crazy during the rainy season?

€¢ Closets €“ Does the apartment have ample closet space? Can it accommodate all of your clothes and the items you wish to store? Insufficient closet space can easily undermine an otherwise great residence.

€¢ Garden & Playground €“ Many residences that cater to families with children normally maintain a garden and/or children's playground area.

€¢ Utilities €“ Check to make sure there is hot water in the shower/bathtub as well as all the sinks. Visit the apartment at night to find out whether the lighting is sufficient.

€¢ Laundry €“ Does the property provide washing machines/dryers in the rooms or do they have a laundry room? How much is the laundry service?

Okay i am sure there is more but its a start. Hope that helps and be sure to ask questions and dont be in a hurry to rent something as there is a huge amount of stock. I did find a pleasant New Zealand guy in a real Estate office on Sukhumvit Road bewteen Soi 22 and Soi 24 just before you get to the park adn the Emporium shopping Centre. he has a list of apartment owned by foreigners which may help when trying to get your deposit back. I have his email somewhere if you want it so he can start the search for you before you arrive. You will also learn alot about Bangkok and Thai people simply by going through the process. Good luck. Newcumer

Comment

if you have the resources i would strongly recommend
        purchasing a condo. a non- thai has to pay the full purchase price in cash. prices have gone up in the past two years and the baht has strengthen in relation to
        the usd, but if you shop around either in bangkok,pataya or pucket you can still find an
        attractive purchase. buy on the second market, not new construction. even if you live here not much more then 1/2 year there are still advantages. i will outline my purchase as an examble i bought
        a 50 sq. meter unit on a quiet soi very close to asoke-sukh 4 years ago. i paid 2,000,000 baht. luckly the exchange rate at the time was 44 baht-usd. there are
        no property taxes in thailand on residences, my monthly condo fee is 1600 baht. my utilities are about 1200. so i pay less than 3000 baht a month. similar
        units in the building rent for 26,000. do the math. in 4 years i have 50% of may purchase money back from an
        effective rebate on rent. i have a pool. snooker room etc. also have dial-up internet connection in my room.
        i have a full kitchen and hot water at all taps that many rental units in the 20-30,000 range do not. another asset is privacy. its my home. if i bring an 'ahem guest'
        home at night i just come in. i don't have to go thru
        that security hassle. when i travel every thing is here.
        on return i get a taxi from don muang and just unlock the door. also the unit was furnished and equiped.
        most second market units are. so in 4 years i have paid
        135,000 baht in rent by owning . i would have paid 1,200,000
        in rent in the same period. even if you live here 1/2 year
        you would still have paid 600,000. not to mention the
        problems of storage when you were not here.
        good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all the good tips!

Purchasing is a possibility but not right away, want to check out various places to see if I really want to setttle down in one place.

A couple questions about purchasing. How easy is it to sell an apartment? Kempthorn, how much would you guess your apartment has appreciated over the 4 years? Would you look at purchasing as an investment, just a way to save on rent, or both?

Comment

I was going to suggest buyoing a flat as well. I dont know how much experience you have roaming around/visiting Thailand but you obviously have to be careful when buying. The right place/right location is of paramount importance.

I have a condo on Petchburi near Pantip Plaza and the studios rent for about 5,000/month. You might want to try something like this before you take the plunnge and buy. BTW as a side note there are quite a few ladyboys living in my building!!! The studios for 5,000/month are not ratholes either. They arent bad at all they have good A?C and are nice in size for a studio.

Comment

(BLUEBALLZ @ Jul. 31 2006,22:11) I have a condo on Petchburi near Pantip Plaza and the studios rent for about 5,000/month. You might want to try something like this before you take the plunnge and buy. BTW as a side note there are quite a few ladyboys living in my building!!! The studios for 5,000/month are not ratholes either. They arent bad at all they have good A?C and are nice in size for a studio.
              Do they have larger 1-BR units in the building? How much/month? Thanks!

Comment

Hey newcomer - GREAT post! Cheers...

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 01 2006,08:13)  Hey newcomer - GREAT post! Cheers...  
                  Yeah that was a great post

Comment

(BLUEBALLZ @ Jul. 31 2006,22:11) I have a condo on Petchburi near Pantip Plaza and the studios rent for about 5,000/month.  You might want to try something like this before you take the plunnge and buy.  BTW as a side note there are quite a few ladyboys living in my building!!!  The studios for 5,000/month are not ratholes either.  They arent bad at all they have  good A?C and are nice in size for a studio.
                     Maybe we´re living at the same building...In this condominium are living 10 nice LB`s (bar girls).

I pay rent for my apartment -1br,1br,living room and kitchen, 15k/month. Have a different rooms for rent. 1yr agreements only.

Comment

Thanks guys, maybe i should go into business with Jungleland. The first LB travel service....ha!

Comment

Yeah they have 1 br but I wouldnt know how much the rent is as I wa sonly interested in buying. Send me a PM if you want to know where it is.

Pratu-PM me where do you live??

Funny/true story-the last time I was at my second "home" in BKK I was going ot to meet up w/Stogie at Big Dogs for beers. Going to in the lift there were about 3 LBs going to work. I had no idea where they were going but I know they were off to work when I actually ran into them in front of Casanovas!!! Small world!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

Comment

Hiya blueballz.....Hows life in the big mango ?

Now that would never happen in NY,,suppose you have to act like the straight guy coming and going from your apartment complex,,I can just see you in the lift,,must be hard to control yourself,,
                          Similar thing happened to me in Bali a few weeks ago,
                          I was with a few buddy's from the golf club,pulled up at the lights and 2 Lb's on a motorbike waved at me,,waved back and pretended not to know,,Got a bit of stick from that encounter,

I will send you my new email mate,,
                          Something from Bali,,,A little honey..LB
                          BK
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X