X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace Corps

This is the best thread I could figure for this, move it if you want.

I was just wondering if anyone here knew anything about what the Peace Corps does in Thailand. I know it is definately one of their countries.

I can get plenty of information from them of course, but I wanted to hear from others outside of the organization. If anyone here has run into PC volunteers, or has seen them out in the boonies, or has talked to any Thai's who have had anything to say about them, or any kind of info you can pass along, I'd like to hear it.

(Also anyone who's ever been in the PC anywhere, or has a very close second hand story from a friend, I'd be interested in hearing any relevant or interesting news you have to share)

I won't say who, but there was someone I ran into awhile ago who was actually going to go into the Peace Corps in Thailand. Not sure what ended up happening, but hopefully he answers your post.

Just curious, but are you considering a stint with the PC so that you can go to LOS for a more permanent basis?
    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Actually, not really.

I'm considering it even though it's really not my usual MO. I'm not a hippie-dippy granola liberal type at all. I honestly can't say exactly what it is that has me considering it- except that I really like to teach, and I'm looking for a startling break out experience.

At a school get-away event this weekend one of the speakers was a Peace Corps guy, which is weird because I was already contemplating it.

Thailand is the only country I would be interested in.

There are other orgs I've come to find out, that are not government funded, and are less picky than the PC. They are much more flexible, allowing shorter time periods. Unfortunately you have to pay to volunteer, since they have no other funding.

Although I can understand the need to collect fees to support a big operation without government support, my practical side says that if I could afford the fees and airfare, I'd be an idiot to spend it living in a yurt and pounding sand int he hinterlands.

For that kind of money, I could live like a king in Nana for several weeks.

Anyway- I did get one PM concerning this thread. Still, if anyone has any knowledge to share, I'd be interested.

Comment

I'd guess, though I could be wrong, that being in LOS chasing LBs might not be an image that the PC wants of its volunteers.

English teachers hired by private schools - probably okay. Apparently, as was mentioned with that weirdo who claimed to have killed the pageant girl, it is quite common to escape to Thailand by teaching English.

I know that at least one very influential member (so to speak ;-) ) was doing something along these lines in the past.

So, if you go as an English teacher, you may have less baggage afterward, too. If you do Peace Corps, it's possible that although you may make outstanding friends, you may also find that they will enjoy telling everyone of your LB hunting adventures.

POL
        Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

From what I know of the Peace Corp is that they usually have most of their operations in what would be best described as "the sticks". If you go to Thailand, not only will you probably be in some far-flung region like Issan, it is highly unlikely you will get to enjoy what most on the board would consider the "best" aspects of Thailand.

Unless you like mucking around in the jungle, building straw huts, and living like a wild beast (that's what an old buddy of mine described his time in the PC as), then I'm not sure that the Peace Corp is the way to go. It's a tough life I'd imagine, to be out in the jungle with probably far less creature comforts than even the poorest Thai has in BKK. Additionally, I'm not sure what these folks pay, but I'm sure it can't be much.

However you did mention you wanted an "experience" and this could be it. As POL said, you could have a fantastic adventure and meet a lot of interesting people. I've heard that a PC stint is pretty good on a resume as an "alternative" life experience and that it is pretty rewarding, if you're into that kind of thing.
          I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying, but I wasn't really expecting it to be compatible with hopping down to Nana every Friday night.

As one guy was telling me who was going to join the Peace Corps, I asked him where he would like to go and he said "Whatever makes me most uncomfortable".

I've got two more years of school right now anyway.

Comment

(grunyen @ Sep. 27 2006,09:50) As one guy was telling me who was going to join the Peace Corps, I asked him where he would like to go and he said "Whatever makes me most uncomfortable".
              I have heard that there's someone named Talesha or Nancy (??? Smutterific, you're good at naming flagpoles - who is she?), who might be able to make him most uncomfortable.

So, if that's what you have in mind, you may be all set.

Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

Working...
              X