X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport Impressions

Just came back through the new airport for the first time, and in my opinion I'd prefer the old airport.

Let me start with the most important piece of information that any traveller needs to know.
    There are NO Taxis at Arrivals. Taxis are only available upstairs at the Departure level. There are NO signs to tell you where to get a taxi

The airport itself has no charm, its nothing more than a big hanger. I also get the feeling that over time it will get real dingy as hard to reach places colect dust, cobwebs etc...

The whole setup is based around making you walk past as many shops as possible, before you get to the gate area. Once you get to the gate area, there are NO shops (no newspapers, no cofee, nothing). So put off going to the gate as long as possible.

Immigration is fast, this is the ONLY improvement over the old airport that I noticed.

Once you pass customs you enter the arrival area, this is a nightmare -- not because its too small, but because of the limousine touts who are everywhere, and cause traffic to stop by standing in front of people with carts and trying to force them to take a Limo (Private Car service). And if you say no, there are three other touts who will try again.

If you DO want a Private Car do not get one here (Personally, I suggest running over their feet with your cart). Instead go outside where there are MORE touts, but at least they will quote a lower price. 700 Baht outside vs 1000+ inside.

My only criteria in an airport is how fast can I get through it, and by that criteria the old airport was much better.
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

(Snick @ Dec. 03 2006,19:52) There are NO Taxis at Arrivals. Taxis are only available upstairs at the Departure level.

say what?
    taxis convenient only to those people who've come to the airport to catch a plane???

talk about T I T

as i begin my pre-planning for my fourth trip to heaven, info like this is *very* helpful.  any more details would be highly appreciated -- example: how much are the official taxis from the NEW airport to my old nana-area hotel? i have *no* idea where the new airport is, but are there the same free way add-ons? and how about the airport lounges? competing ticket counters? in-airport massages? ease/difficulty of transferring from intl to in-country flights?

anybody else got comparisons or tips to share?
    in return, news of my arrival shall include a round at big dogs.

ps (as i edit a few minutes later
    i just found this helpful thread:
    http://asiantsgirls.com/cgi-bin/boar...=ST;f=9;t=7471

Comment

I recall I had to go downstairs from Arrivals to get a taxi when I arrived.

I also prefer the old airport it had more of a Welcome to Thailand feel about it. The new one is too bland and cold. However ask most Thais and they all sing its praises and think it is the best airport in Asia.

Comment

This will not apply to everyone but the Qantas Lounge is not complete yet which was damn annoying as I usually like to get to the aiport early and relax in the lounge.

Comment

Someone reported in another thread how to get a taxi at the new airport...I wrote it down because I knew I would never find it again:

"To get to the standard metered taxi push through the crowd, find the escalator going downstairs to the 1st floor. There you will see a few tables with people who will give you a slip for the metered taxi."

And I somehow recall adding that it was the metered charge plus 50 baht...

That's what I'm counting on at any rate...Thank you Ozzie
          "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I think many of us knew exactly what to do at the old airport. After a while we'll get used to the new one.

And as annoying as limoi touts can be, (and as annoying as pushy ladyboys at the door of Obs can be) I think we're lucky that the worst that can happen to unsaavy traveler is to pay a little extra and there is no real danger involved.

I think the trick is to smile at the touts but not engage them in converstaion, or if you feel you must just lie and say a friend is meeting you.

Comment

I _think_ I went up from Arrival Level to Departure Level, but since I was coming off an 18 hour flight and a sleeping pill, its very likely that I could not tell up from down. Regardless, you have to get to the Departure Level to find a cab.

Airport checkin is fairly painless, but it wasn't too bad at the old airport either. As of one month ago, only Thai had a lounge that was operational. No idea what the status is now. Which brings up another problem, no one really has an information on anything. No one knows where the resteraunts are, massage area (if open), etc...

I ended up paying 500 Baht for a taxi to Nana area, but that was because I had to PAY a guy at the arrival area to take me to the taxi line at the Departure Level, and he got a cut. Next time I will try and get the taxi to use the meter (which should be 300 Baht), or agree to 400 Baht flat rate.

Also, avoid the elevators - there are reports of them getting stuck. There are many 'moving sidewalks' which go between levels, so taking the elevators is not critical.

Comment

(PigDogg @ Dec. 04 2006,10:20) I think the trick is to smile at the touts but not engage them in converstaion, or if you feel you must just lie and say a friend is meeting you.
                The problem is the people in front of you, and the touts causing them to stop and tie up traffic. The touts are much worse here and effectively cause a one lane road to come to a stop.

Comment

(PigDogg @ Dec. 04 2006,10:20) And as annoying as limo touts can be, (and as annoying as pushy ladyboys at the door of Obs can be)
                  Yes, but I'm sure I won't to take the limo tout back to my room...
                  "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I was out of it too, even worse cause my flight was 6 hours late which made it a 30 hour flight.

All the way downstairs is the official taxi line, I didn't think the line was that long but the guys I was with wanted to go back upstairs at grab a cab at departures and you just have to negotiate.

But right outside the airport we got transfered to another cab which was no big deal.

Comment

Also a problem is that at the old airport the touts are very near the official taxi line which we knew exactly where it was. At the new airport you gotta go down a few flights.

Comment

I found a massage place for 600 baht an hour before my fligght but there's also an airport hotel that has super expensive massages.

I think 600 is a good price cause you're really no longer in Thailand in some respects and u have time to kill. I like to get to the airport very early.

Comment

Everyone knew the old airport in and out. Over time we will all get to know the new one.

I am amazed nobody has mentioned the lack of lines in arrival immigration.

Personally I say good riddance to DM.

Comment

Having read all the negative posts on various forums before I travelled, I was expecting the worst.

Have to say, I thought everything was great, after flying in & out on Thai Airways from Melbourne, and then flying back & forth to Chiang Mai whilst I was there.

I can confirm that once you arrive and exit the baggage area, take the escalator down one level, and the taxi is immediately out the front (same set up as Don Muang).

Best thing was checking in at Thai Airways business class for the flight home. A guy comes out to the car, takes my suitcase to the check in counter, then you have your own private immigration counter, and straight into the Royal Silk lounge for a Gin & Tonic, check the e-mail, etc.

The only complaint I have is the distances you have to walk to get to the departure gates. You wouldn't want to be late for a flight !

Cheers
                            Koykaeng
                            Ladyboys need to learn...... Listerine is not a beverage !

Comment

thanks koikeng i now have the taxi thing sorted thanks to your report. lol the rest of it was a bit confusing upstairs down stairs maybe on the roof)
                              as someone said once you get used to it , it will be like the old d ump at don muang
                              cheers donnnnnny
                              just a sex tourist looking for hot fun

Comment

Working...
                              X