X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at teaching in Thailand

Looking at teaching in Thailand. I have lots of experience and education so I believe I can start off making at least 40,000 baht a month. Just how livable is that in Bangkok?
    John Smith

You need to talk to Stogie. Buy him his daily requirement of beer Chang with lime and ice and he might divulge some interesting information.

Also check out Ajarn.com

Comment

yes you can live on 40,000 but I am guessing you will soon start dipping in to your savings.You will have to find the cheapest Thai places to live (keep in under 5,000 a month) so it will either be a shit-hole or on the outshorts of town. Unlikely you will start earning 40,000 as you will have to build up your classes. And you won't get a work permit on that money so regaulr trips to the border.
      Back in the scene after a couple of years away. And no that does not mean I was residing at her majesty's pleasure. God it is good to be back among the girls with that bit extra!

Comment

Actually, you can get a work permit on 40K per month if you are a teacher. Teaching jobs are exempt from the higher salary requirements. The tricky thing is actually getting a teaching license, work permit and type B visa. It's possible, but it's a difficult process and most schools are unwilling or unable to help you with the paperwork.

As for living on 40K per month, yes, it is possible, but you won't be able to afford much extra fun! For the first year I lived here, I lived off of my salary and my savings. I later figured out that I was spending about 80K per month for my first year here.

On the plus side, once you learn to speak some Thai, you can get laid quite cheaply!

Comment

Earning 40K teaching English should be easy enough. Living on it in BKK is not, though!

Comment

It's doable...but would not be much fun.

I stayed for a few months in a pretty nice (very clean, good aircon, broadband internet) studio apartment on Soi Rangnam (5 minute walk from Victory monument skytrain station) that cost 8500 baht/month.

This is about as cheap an apartment as you can get in BKK that would be up to falang standards.

Teaching in BKK is an appealing concept...but the reality is not quite as good.

You'll work your balls off for that 40,000 baht...and not have enough left over to hunt TG/GG every weekend...which sort of defeats the whole purpose doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
            X