X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Want To Electrocute Myself

I bought tiny speakers for my room to plug into my MP3 player.  It runs on batteries but it also comes with a electic plug.It's a Sony AC Power adapter 4.5/4,5V, model AC-ES455K.

Bought this in the USA.

Input: AC120V/ca120V 60 Hz 4W

Output DC4.5V/cc4.5V 500mA

Also says Class 2 Power Supply.
    Also says 434-11.

In the room I'd rather not use batteries.

Can I plug this in without problems?

If I buy a mobile that comes with a charger, can I use that to power the speakers?

Or is there a cheap thing I can but to make it OK?

No...first time you plug it in you'll fry it...

All chargers/adapters that you use here must read: input 100-240 volts...

Either buy a set of speakers here...and they are really cheap here...or buy a voltage converter...They are about $20 usd in the states...
    "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Thanks Kahuna!

Is the problem the plug or speakers? Too late to buy anything here in the states.

Can the charger for the cell phone i buy in Pattaya be pluged into these speakers?

Comment

PD, the problem is the Sony AC power adapter, it cannot handle the 220 V in Thailand and will fry the speakers if you plug it in.

If the cell phone adapter has the same specifications, output 4.5 V at 500 mA and the same plug type to fit in the speakers, yes you can use it.

Most department stores will sell multi-voltage AC adapters with multi-tips. You can adjust the input voltage between 110/220 V, and the output voltage varies from 3-12 V, just check the mA to see it is close to the Sony rating of 500 mA, and one of the multi-tips fits the speakers. They also sell the less expensive AC adapters that only work with 220 V input but the output can vary between 3-12 V, with multi-tips.

Have fun in LOS!

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

No...it's the power adapter that changes from DC to AC...In Thai the voltage is 200v+...

If your phone charger/adapter indicates that it will operate from 100 to 240 volts and the
          plug fits the speakers it will probably work...Most newer cell phones have chargers that
          can be used throughout the world...So likely no prob...

You can buy voltage convertors and adapter plugs here though...very inexpensive...

If not at MBK...Pantip Plaza is full of vendors selling all sorts of electronic gadgets...

I recall you're going to Pattaya and there is a smaller version of Pantip there...I've been
          once just can't remember the name or exactly where it where it is...But I'm sure someone
          in Pattaya will know...If not...MP3 players are very popular here and external speakers are
          very inexpensive....and you can find them just about anyplace...
          "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I bought a 220v adapter at Radio Shack last year for my trip. I told the guy I was going to Thailand and he showed me the correct one. I cost about five buck, is small and worked great.

Comment

The IT Mall Kahuma refers to is called Tuk Com and is on Pattaya Tai (Pattaya South Rd) - everybody knows where Tuk Com is and there are loads of LB's working there, especially on the floor where they sell mobile phones (2nd floor for Americans).

Cheers
              Mardhi

Comment

My hotel is about a five minute walk from Tuk Com so I'll sort it out when I get there. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Check for a combination plug. I purchased one when I went overseas a year ago and it is great. Combines the Asian, US, and British plugs into one. It costs around $20 but is worth it. You never worry about having the wrong plug.

Comment

what you could do is just buy an 100-220Vac to 4.5 Vdc adapter. Something like this would be perfect...

http://www.jr.com/JRProdu....a&nsa=1

Here is a video of what will happen if you plug a 120 Volt transformer into 220 Volts!

http://video.google.com/videopl....sformer

Comment

It would cost you more to buy a voltage converter than to buy a new set of cheap speakers !

The other idea is to be a new adapter either a 110-220 Volt version which would work everywhere, or a 220V which would work in Europe and Asia...BUT it can be a pain to find the exact model you need.

I would just buy new speakers, or lots of batteries.
                      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I'm going the triple A battery route.

At tuk-com they had a converter for 450 baht but it was an awkward rather heavy thing.

Comment

Exactly.

converters are a PAIN
                          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

This is what you want to buy:

Kensington International Plug Adapter (33117)

The weight is less than a pound.

Comment

But it wont convert the voltage

Or at least it doesnt appear to anyway. It looks like a normal plug convertor...

Comment

Working...
                              X