First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration confirms the end of border runs from O

Immigration confirms the end of border runs from October 1, 2006
    Thailand tightens visa rules for tourists to cut illegal workers

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will tighten entry regulations for tourists in a bid to crack down on illegal foreign workers, the Immigration Bureau said.

The move, which takes effect October 1, would affect tourists from 41 countries including Australia, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the US, said Suwat Thamrongsrisakul, the head of the bureau.

Currently, tourists from 41 countries can enter Thailand without visas and stay in the kingdom for up to 30 days.

They can extend their stay by checking out of the country, mainly by crossing the borders of neighboring Cambodia and Laos, and returning with new entry stamps.

'Under the current rules, people from those countries can stay in Thailand as long as they want. Some even stay here for one year,' another bureau official said.

The bureau had learned that a growing number of foreigners from the 41 countries worked illegally in Thailand, Suwat said, adding many were employed in bars and restaurants in the popular seaside resort of Pattaya, east of Bangkok.

'Tourists are taking advantage of the visa exemption law. Instead of sightseeing, they are doing business here,' Suwat said.

From October, tourists from the designated countries can still enter Thailand without visas and stay for up to 30 days, but their entry stamps will be renewable twice at most for a maximum stay of 90 days.

Tourists who stayed for 90 days must leave the kingdom for at least 90 days before being permitted to re-enter Thailand, Suwat said.

--forbes.com 2006-09-10
    Up The Ass Of Every Successful Business Man Lies a Ladboys Thick Long Cock!

Its been widely reported that this is coming into effect. Remains to be seen IF it will happen once the TAT suddenly realise what impact this is going to have on their 'tourist' arrival figures which routinely count the same visa runner as being 12 different tourists in a year. All of this will come at the same time as the NEW airport opens with huge increases in capacity to cope with the increasing volumes of tourists. Personally I reckon it will get dropped as soon as they realise its not actually that smart a thing to do.

Interesting story, slightly off topic but similar situation - my builder (thai) has just laid off another 40 staff after laying off 30 before when the law governing Thai 'companies' was tightened - basically farangs using a Thai company as a legal way of owning land and they controlled the company. He now has 5 staff left and he owes money up to his eyeballs to Thai suppliers and sub-contractors all because all the farang customers in Pattaya have stopped building their retirement homes as a result of the 'uncertainty' over this law being tightened. This is going to get nasty before it gets better I reckon.

Cheers
    Mardhi

Comment

Thanks for info Mardi... I live here in London but when i read it i knew that if there was any truth to it it may well effect some of our board members

Comment

Ha ha! This ol' chestnut surfaces each year!

Comment

Lets hope its a chestnut mate.....

Ill be coming in next week.... Any requests Sir?

Comment

Jaffa cakes, Pork scratchings and Heinz Mulligatawny soup all round!!

seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Heinz Mulligatawny soup
              What the blooooooody hell is that sir lol

u missed a good nite lastnite sir....

how was ure hols??

Comment

Pretty damned good. cant wait til November hopefully and def. december/Jan. Started my trip report. Take a look.

Sorry about last nite - landed at 8am and had to be in the office for 2pm and worked til 7. Also all day today. no peace for the wicked.

Comment

You're going back in Nov???
                  I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

maybe for a long weekend.

Comment

(Bit Beefy @ Sep. 11 2006,05:19)  Lets hope its a chestnut mate.....  

Gif wants to know if you can bring her some Blackberry flavoured Jaffa Cakes! She wolfed down the last lot from KL pretty sharpish!

For me... any English magazines that you would normally throw away! After I'm through with them they get donated to Mommas restarant for the other expats!

Cheers... see you soon!

Comment

Tell Gif ill see what i can do. As for your magazines sir providing customs dont try and nick them off me should be cool

Comment

(stogie bear @ Sep. 11 2006,12:15)
                          (Bit Beefy @ Sep. 11 2006,05:19)  Lets hope its a chestnut mate.....  

Gif wants to know if you can bring her some Blackberry flavoured Jaffa Cakes! She wolfed down the last lot from KL pretty sharpish!

For me... any English magazines that you would normally throw away! After I'm through with them they get donated to Mommas restarant for the other expats!

Cheers... see you soon!  
                          Blackberry flavoured Jaffa Cakes !!!!!! whatever next, Cherry flavoured coca cola, orange flavoured aniseed balls - what is the world coming too - you cant have anything but Orange Jaffa Cakes LOL

Cheers
                          Mardhi

Comment

(mardhi @ Sep. 11 2006,16:16)     whatever next, Cherry flavoured coca cola,
                            Unfortunately this has been profferd for the last 2 years.
                            Coke has around 10 flavours now
                            caffiene free, diet coke,  Vanilla flavour is the best IMO.

I bought Cherry flavour by mistake once. Has a bile like aftertaste .......

Comment

its the lime flavoured jaffa cakes that are sickly imo

Comment

Working...
                              X