Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (imachong @ Mar. 12 2010,13:50) Where is foodland?
    Foodland

The one Stogie is refering to is a Sukumwit Soi 5 which is open 24 hours and has a food counter/diner inside.

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

Comment

• I decided to splurge and go to Nahm with Katoeylover when he was in Bangkok, I was doubly surprised, the food was excellent AND it wasn't nearly as expensive as I expected (not saying its cheap, but 7000 for 4 with 2000B wine was very reasonable).

The menu was quite exotic, this is not your normal street food. The frog curry was yummy.

http://www.metropolitan.bangkok.como...and-drink/nahm
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

• A new resource for Bangkok foodies (and other stuff) is

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok
        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

• Another vote for Somboon Seafood. Go hungry and thirsty and leave a happy man.
          This has been a great trip filled with enlightening adventures, complete relaxation, and absolute fuck festivities! Enjoy.

On a quest for the finest...

Comment

• (rxpharm @ Jun. 30 2008,12:31) Hey DP, making notes for your next visit, good stuff!  Well, there is a NY Pizza place now on Sukhumvit Road - around where the Foodland is, I think that is around Soi 5-7.  I haven't tried it myself, but looking it through the window, they have a variety that is different than your favorite Pizza Hut.

Another excellent place to try is Lan Na Thai. #29, Sukhumvit Soi 38. This is an interesting place a combination of a North Indian Restaurant - Hazarra, Thai and Visage a Patiserie, plus a spa in one location. The website is Face Bars

Thegame925 and I were there with our companions of choice. Both remarked the food is quite delicious - aroy mak! My companion wants to return because of the food and the ambience.  This is a bit pricey, but well worth it for the food and atmosphere.

view from the rooftop garden/sitting area at the hostel
            This Face place is fantastic. I live next door to it everytime I come to Bangkok. Real good hostel there. MANY times the smell of their BBQ pork drives me outta my mind as it wafts into the upper floor. Went over once, saw the menu prices and sighed. Easily go 50 bux for me and a date. It would be a shame to go to such a nice place alone. But up the street, there is all the 40 baht thai street food one can eat. SOMEDAY maybe i'll bust loose and take a date there. It would only be 5 days of stay at the hostel, haha.

I wonder if I walked past you two and your dates that night on my way to the stewed pork lady.
            Attached Files

Comment

• I too had heard all the raves about Nahm and we gave it a try last year.
              While the food was tasty enough, my party (which consisted of 2 Thais and a Phil LB) weren't that impressed.
              I think it is a little overrated.

Comment

• (NeighborsKnowMyName @ Oct. 12 2012,22:33) I too had heard all the raves about Nahm and we gave it a try last year.
                While the food was tasty enough, my party (which consisted of 2 Thais and a Phil LB) weren't that impressed.
                I think it is a little overrated.
                I've eaten at Nahm on three occasions and rate it as the best Thai dining experience I've ever had.

Whilst it's relatively expensive compared to eating at your average Bangkok eatery, compared to what I'd pay for such an experience in Australia, its a bargain.

More importantly, I'm yet to find food that is so authentically Thai in a fine dining setting.

Nevertheless, I can fully appreciate Nahm isn't for everyone and the experience could well be lost on many depending on your perspective of Thai food and dining in a more general sense.

# A collage from my last Nahm dinner with the honourable TTChang.

Cheers
                Koykaeng
                Attached Files
                Ladyboys need to learn...... Listerine is not a beverage !

Comment

• Always enjoy my foodie outings with KK     Two other restaurants I can recommend: 'Le Table de Tee' in Silom, and 'Ruen Arai' in Surawong.

Nahm has a very variable rating on Trip Advisor, some think brilliant, others think 'a waste of money, street food is as good'. As I've been several times, I share KK's opinion. Met the chef (Australian) David Thompson a few times - he's the western guru on thai food, and very amusing too

There's one Thai LB that I've taken to both Blue Elephant in Bangkok, and to Nahm.  In fact there's only one I would do that for, cos I know she appreciates the finer things in life ..... 555   Her opinion :Nahm was excellent, better of the two.

But for me, in Thailand, food courts in the malls are the stars. A feast in exchange for a 100 baht coupon. Street food in aircon!
                  TT

Comment

• I second koykaeng on the ridiculous prices and Australia, particularly Sydney.

And like TTChang I have also taken a LB to Blue Elephant and enjoyed it very much. (Come to think of it, I think she took me there..)

Comment

• Another upmarket Thai place in Bangkok worthy of a visit is Ruen Urai.

http://www.ruen-urai.com/

The food, service and surrounds were all excellent, albeit maybe not quite in the same league as David Thompson€™s Nahm.

Then again, it's slightly easier on the pocket, but definitely not cheap.

Cheers
                      Koykaeng
                      Attached Files
                      Ladyboys need to learn...... Listerine is not a beverage !

Comment

• Here's a gem of a low cost restaurant - specializes in Chinese style roast goose - but they have other dishes on the menu as well.

The name of the restaurant is Chua Kim Heng - here's a quick review with location details: Hungry in Bangkok - Chua Kim Heng

I would say this is probably the best Chinese style goose I've had - and the other dishes we had were great too!

It's nothing fancy, appears to be a "hole in the wall" eatery, but really appearances are so deceiving in this case!

Address and phone numbers: 81, 83 Pattanakan Rd. Suan Luang, Bangkok, 10250
                        02-319-2510/ 02-729-8822/ 02-314-4486/ 02-314-7829

I've attached a photo of the goose dish.

Deep fried crab, pork and shrimp rolls - excellent and very tasty combination - a good choice.

Chinese style bitter gourd soup - done in a great pork rib stock. It's done in a way to minimize the "bitterness" of the gourd.

They also have fantastic home made coconut ice cream as dessert, that I also took a photo of.

Highly recommended, and although a bit difficult to find, well worth it!
                        Attached Files

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                        Membership Levels
                        The Rookie Thread
                        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

• I've been to the Chua Kim Heng Restaurant a few times again and it remains on the top of my list as an excellent dining experience. I am uploading photos of the menu and the roasted goose holding cabinet (storage area after it's been cooked). I asked the person slicing up the goose how many they go through in a day, and his reply - on a busy day around 150-200 geese! There is also a photo of one of my favorite snacks - in Thai it's pronounced bah jang (in Cantonese it's called a doeng). It is glutinous rice wrapped in banana leaf along with egg, pork, water chestnut, peanuts, etc. Quite delicious and can also be found on some of the street food vendor stalls. The ones made in this restaurant are larger and have more filling than the ones from the street vendors. Also if you visit Chinatown in Bangkok you can find these as well - especially in the back alley shops.
                          Attached Files

Membership Levels
                          The Rookie Thread

Comment

• not sure if it is the best but palm on soi 18 is really good, if it was already menti
                            For more ladyboy talk and travel tips check out https://guysnightlife.com
                            For all things trans check out LadyboyWiki

Comment

• If you like dim sum, there are a couple of Tim Ho Wan restaurants in Bangkok. They have one in Terminal 21 and another one in Gateway Ekkamai Malls. The original branch was in Hong Kong, and they are one of the few Michelin Starred dim sum restaurants around. They also have branches in Singapore, Malayasia, Taiwan, Australia and Indonesia, besides Hong Kong and Thailand.

While they don't have an extensive menu, their dim sum is some of the best I've had (including the ones I've been to in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing). Highly recommended. If you go during lunch time, it is busy, so you should plan on going either before or after the rush.

Membership Levels
                              The Rookie Thread

Comment

• pretty good mexican at tacos and salsa on soi 18... not easy to find mexican in asia that is good
                                For more ladyboy talk and travel tips check out https://guysnightlife.com
                                For all things trans check out LadyboyWiki

Comment

Working...
                                X