Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(mister_smith @ Jan. 17 2007,03:17) My understanding of Sodom and Gomhorra was that it wasn't so much a town full of gays be a wild sinful place, Fucking, fighting, fornicating, boozing , drug taking etc
    Nice one im of to nana plaze ooopsi mean sodom
    just a sex tourist looking for hot fun

Comment

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Jan. 28 2007,10:14) However, I'm on a thin line here as I'm only remembering tid bits from recent readings. Someone more knowledgeable please speak up!
        I'm not sure this belongs in the Academia forum. More like the Fish Box.  

The Bible, such as it is, and particularly the Old Testament, is so full of allegory and linguistic/historical context that without the aid of a deeper understanding of these fields (i.e Theology, in its true form) any extrapolations based on a literal interpretation of the texts is a rather subjective and imprecise affair.

Hence all the crazy religionists.  

In brief, there are references to the undesirability of homosexuality in both the Old and New Testaments. Alas, no mention of Ladyboys from my research so far...

These admonitions are, however, put no higher than those against usury, adultery, false witness, and a multitude of other trespasses. It is the religionists, the ignorant and those with an agenda who seek to elevate homosexuality to some kind of 'super sin'. As we all know, passages can be taken in or out of context and interpreted to suit available needs.

So, rather than getting lost in the detail, let's look at the Big Picture :

If Jesus could dine with prostitutes, but overturn the tables of the moneylenders, then we can gain some insight into his priorities.

In fact it has been suggested that a gay man was present at the Last Supper.

Perhaps that's what the Da Vinci Code was really all about.

Comment

Sorry but Mary Magdalene wasn't a prostitute! Unless there are other so-called prostitutes in the Bible. Pope Gregory tried to make her a prostitute in a decree in 359 or so. It was officialy reversed in the 1950s.

But I agree with you on basic principles. He invited everyone into his church, and for me, that means everybody.

That being said, the Koran seems far more precise and anti-gay.

There are a few theologians on this site, so Academia is completely appropriate section. Too bad they don't speak up.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Feb. 18 2007,17:11) Sorry but Mary Magdalene wasn't a prostitute! Unless there are other so-called prostitutes in the Bible. Pope Gregory tried to make her a prostitute in a decree in 359 or so. It was officialy reversed in the 1950s.
            I don't recall mentioning Mary

Comment

I'm not quite sure what the issue was with the 'prostitute' word, but in any case I would have expected a reply by now Ziggy

Comment

No issue with it. It was a minor comment. Ironically, the prostitute was Mary, just not Mary Magdelene. Anyhow, it has nothing to do with the topic.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Feb. 20 2007,21:40) No issue with it. It was a minor comment. Ironically, the prostitute was Mary, just not Mary Magdelene. Anyhow, it has nothing to do with the topic.
                  I agree that it has nothing to do with the topic, which is why I wondered why you started talking about prostitutes, Mary Magdalen, or any Mary for that matter.

It seems you have misread that line in my post. :

"If Jesus could dine with prostitutes, but overturn the tables of the moneylenders, then we can gain some insight into his priorities."

The reference was not to Prostitutes per se. You seem to have jumped on that word for some reason.

The apparently 'offending' sentence is meant to illustrate the core teaching of the New Testament and so has everything to do with the topic insofar as it should clarify the true Christian perspective on homosexuality.

At least that's what I thought the topic was about.

Comment

well as lemarquis pointed out is the interpretation of the bible or koran (i should say misinterpretation) which caused so many troubles to homosexuals.
                    Ziggy in the first post you said Christians, well actually you quote the bible so not really Christians.
                    I was rised in a catholic country (well i was few kilometers from the pope so really catholic environment) and i can say that there are diffents opinions and behaviours about homosexuality...all those differences are made by people.
                    even buddism doesnt really accept the homosexuality as a natural thing... they consider that if some one reborn homo well it means he or she did something wrong in the previous life and her or his karma i condamned to pay for this.
                    in general the society is the one that makes the difference in the way the homos are seen and treated not really ancient books.
                    Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'm just getting back to this thread after a long while, so here's a funny about greek buggers.

Back in the day, a symposium was a male retreat, where men would go off to camp together and enjoy having sex with their little boyfriends.

So whenever I hear some doctor saying he's going to a "symposium" I get a chuckle.

Comment

Next time I look at a weather synopsis chart I'll realise why we are getting buggered by some great big depression

RR.
                        Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                        Kahuna

Comment

(lemarquis @ Feb. 20 2007,13:59) I wondered why you started talking about prostitutes, Mary Magdalen, or any Mary for that matter.
                          I guess the answer to that goes back to the decree by Pope Gregory.

I'm a very long way from being an expert on this - but as I understand it the idea of including prostitutes seemed to be to show that Christianity was an all embracing religon. Unfortunately like most things it then got distorted and politicised and the opposite happened.

RR.
                          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                          Kahuna

Comment

I'm not sure which decree is referred to. In any case the year and reign of Pope Gregory don't seem to coincide.

Perhaps Ziggy could pass that one on when he rejoins the discussion he started   For what that's worth as I do agree it seems beside the point both in terms of the topic of this thread (something about Adam being a LB ?) and the contents of my first post.

Here are but 2 references to Prostitutes in the New Testament :

Luke 7: 36-50; Mathew 21: 31-32.

Suffice it to say that the attitude of Christ to Prostitutes seems quite clear. From other passages we can extrapolate that homosexuals, likewise, would hardly have been demonised in the true spirit of Christianity.

As you point out RR, what mortal men do with the truth in pursuit of their own ends is often another story..

Comment

Jesus being a mystic probly had a huge sex drive, the kundalini energy as it rises can cause an increase in sexual desire. Therefore causing one to invite prostitutes to set at my table.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X