Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip archives...?

Greetings,
    I am a new member to Asian TS and find the site to be splendid. However, I am curious as to if there has been any thought to zip archives. It would be nice to be able to download all the pictures for a given month at once without have to save one at a time?

Any thoughts on this?

I think stogie answered this in another thread a while ago so I will let him tackle it again; I really have no idea how that would be done myself.......

Comment

Actually this idea really does have merit. (But it still ain't gonna happen!)

It saves the site on bandwidth as you'll be decompressing the pics on your computer and looking at them on your own hard drive. No wheel-spinning on our servers (once you have downloaded the zip archive of course!)

Plus - Zip archives are easy to make and upload to the server and provide a link to...

However - I'd not be in favour of doing this for every girl and every gallery we post! Come to think of it I probably wouldn't include every picture even!

In the end it is a lot of time for one person to make all the archives and upload them and let's face it, if you had every 'zipped' chick on your hard drive then why would you bother being a member!

Thanks for posting the suggestion, though, and don't forget just because we do or say something one day that doesn't mean we can't be persuaded to change our minds...

Just out of interest are you on dial up or dsl?

Stogie

Comment

Hey stogie the pics don't have to be zipped to grab them all easily. And you don;t have to di it manually either. But I am sure you knew that.

Also zipped jpegs will not compress too much as they are alreayd compressed. So not a great saving in badnwidth.

Comment

Yes, you are quite right - but actually with page refreshes and multiple views of the same pics over time I probably would be better off with the whole site on a dvd!

And JPGs don't compress much anyway, as you say!

There are many programs that will 'harvest' web sites for you, and if you are on broadband and you know the right software you can easily copy the whole darn site if you wanted to! Even if you are on dial up you can download specific galleries.

I'm not up to date on any specific software that does a good job at this. I used to use two programs... but I think they are probably unavailable now!

Comment

did someone say "save on bandwidth?" I just woke up!! that is better than my beloved mountain dew to open my eyes first thing in the morning [Jai dee has never learned to drink coffee].

I think stogie last question to the original poster was the key; are you on dial-up or bandwidth? I could be wrong here, but I believe that someone on a dial-up would have a helluva time downloading 70-80 pics all at once; would probably take a few hours?

again, this is a conversation for the 'experts' to handle beause answering e-mails and chatting on this forum are about as far as I can go on a computer.

Comment

Actually, I perfer zip because I am on dial-up. I figure I could queue the zip file and let it download overnight. I don't have much time to download them manually. I work full time, go to college, and attend martial arts, so I am basically gone unless I am sleeping.

Also, I don't see how zipping the archives would be a lot of work. You select a directory, add to zip, and upload. Piece of cake. Of course, I could be over-simplifying it... please correct me if I am.

And, in general, people would still be members because each month would have a new zip gallery and you would have to be a member to access.

If zip archives are not a possibility, does anyone know of a good program to grab from a site? I actually tried one, but it didn't go to well since the images are on different pages and embedded.

Comment

Originally posted by (Amarach @ Sep. 03 2004,12:51)
                If zip archives are not a possibility, does anyone know of a good program to grab from a site? I actually tried one, but it didn't go to well since the images are on different pages and embedded.
                If Lefty is reading this, I know that he does; he uses a program that grabs every pic quickly and saves them right to his hard drive, and then he plays them back on ACDsee. I will talk to Bueno in L.A. about the zip possibility.

Comment

Thanks.

Also, I am interested in the program Lefty uses.

Comment

Originally posted by (Amarach @ Sep. 03 2004,13:57)
                    Thanks.

Also, I am interested in the program Lefty uses.
                    Me too!

Comment

*Looks around for the one they call Lefty...

Does he exsist?

Comment

Originally posted by
                        *Looks around for the one they call Lefty...

Does he exsist?
                        I believe he is a bit busy last few days....cheering on GWB at the convention in NYC!
                        Mister Arse

Comment

sending lefty a letter now

Comment

GWB?

Comment

It's a bit of a joke - Lefty is really erm... 'left' so the last thing in the world he would be doing is waving the flag for GWB (Bush)

Maybe he is still spending the prize money for "the worlds longest and most nonsensical signature on a forum" competition!

Comment

Working...
                              X