Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(doug @ Jan. 27 2009,19:00) But if you do encounter any racism while here........ It's directed at you because you're "not-Thai"
    Very good post Doug.

You seem to have had a worse time with taxi drivers than me - mostly I have found them OK though some have had zero knowledge of even central Bangkok.

The simple fact is that 98-99% of Thais have never been outside Thailand and the sole experience of most of them about other cultures is Thai TV.
    All 5 or 6 channels of game shows, advertisements, soap operas, advertisements, news about Thailand, advertisments and an occassional 3rd rate movie dubbed into Thai, followed by advertisements.
    (If I have to watch more than 5 minutes of it I feel like... )

Young Thais perception of the west can be summed up in a 3 minute music video - that's all they watch.

Anyone remember the science fiction movie where the aliens come to earth after picking up TV signals for years?

Welcome to Thailand

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

Comment

Taxi drivers, however, can all go to fucking hell, as far as I'm concerned. I hate those motherfuckers. Back in the States, my friends would always complain about taxi drivers not picking them up because they were black. I now know EXACTLY how that feels. Even worse are the guys who zoom past other people to pick me up BECAUSE I'm white. Those fuckers can all die with a hot pike up their asses.

Just because I'm white doesn't mean I want to take an off-meter tour of the city every time I get in a cab. Shockingly, sometimes I actually want to go in a straight-line to my exact destination...

Great inciteful post from Doug as usual...

Comment

All worthwhile advice. You'll be in a foreign country...just remember you are the foreigner. Respect that fact.

Comment

Working...
        X