Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's a good reading if you have the blues and haven't yet been around the suk, so to speak.
    the comment about shagging a lb bb on the world's aids day is hilarious though

Comment

I make no comment on the likely accuracy of the tale rather the quality of the writing. It sucks.
      Have you read it? It's written directly from the viewpoints of the protagonists and most people don't actually talk and think like Charles Dickens or even John Burdett, whose new book 'Bangkok Haunts' looks to be his darkest (Thailand based) work yet. Can't wait.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 20 2007,19:34)
        (dummy_plug @ Jun. 20 2007,14:05) Unless someone cares to "lend" me their digital copy...
        Click on the first page of this thread and the link is in the first post...
        Thanks Stogie! I mistakenly thought it was a link to the preview copy that is available on the author's website.
        I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 23 2007,19:50)
          I make no comment on the likely accuracy of the tale rather the quality of the writing. It sucks.
          Have you read it? It's written directly from the viewpoints of the protagonists and most people don't actually talk and think like Charles Dickens or even John Burdett, whose new book 'Bangkok Haunts' looks to be his darkest (Thailand based) work yet. Can't wait.
          I may well be happy to post opinions on things I know little or nothing about but draw the line at criticising a book I hadn't read.

My statement stands. I get the way the book is written. My view is that the writing is so poor it makes what should, for me, have been a really interesting story actually quite hard to read.

That his other stuff is rubbish only confirms my opinion.

Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 23 2007,05:50) most people don't actually talk and think like Charles Dickens or even John Burdett, whose new book 'Bangkok Haunts' looks to be his darkest (Thailand based) work yet. Can't wait.
            i read your mention here and having never heard of burdett, i went straightaway to amazon and ordered a copy of 'bangkok haunts'.

btw, they're all out of 'money is number one' and 'money is still number one'. maybe when 'money is really still fucking number one' comes out, i'll pick up on it.
            meantime, i'm looking forward to my first read of burdett. hope i don't regret having skipped over bangkok 8 and bangkok tatoo to grab his latest...

Comment

(newwriter @ Jun. 27 2007,09:45) I may well be happy to post opinions on things I know little or nothing about but draw the line at criticising a book I hadn't read.
              Fair enough... My apologies!

maybe when 'money is really still fucking number one' comes out, i'll pick up...
              I'm gonna hold off until "Money is #2, no just kidding..." comes out on video!

I've not read Burdetts latest. Would be interested in reviews from people who actually know Thailand (and Cambodia.)

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 23 2007,04:50) 'Bangkok Haunts'
                it's displayed in the window of Barnes and Nobles on Union Square in NYC.

Comment

Gonna Have to Look Over the Weekend  
                  You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

"i'm looking forward to my first read of burdett. hope i don't regret having skipped over bangkok 8 and bangkok tatoo to grab his latest..."

I would definitely recommend reading the 3 Burdett books in sequence because they have the same main character who refers, in each story, to his previous adventures.

enjoy

WT

Comment

(wisetraveller @ Jul. 01 2007,19:51) "i'm looking forward to my first read of burdett. hope i don't regret having skipped over bangkok 8 and bangkok tatoo to grab his latest..."

I would definitely recommend reading the 3 Burdett books in sequence because they have the same main character who refers, in each story, to his previous adventures.  

enjoy

WT

thanks for the tip. i already ordered the latest, so i'll see if i can't find either of the first two around town, used bookstore, something...

Comment

Great work Stogie, a book worthy of a Great Cover!
                        How true the story in many ways...

Regrds to all,

Mickey

Mickey, oh Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind, oh Mickey!!!

Comment

I'm only halfway through the book, but its a great read and rings true in so many ways. I wish I had been able to read it before my 1st trip to LOS instead of now. I find the writing style to be engaging and the book moves at a fast-pace so that you want to keep reading to see what happens. Great read indeed!
                          I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X