Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it easy to spot american peaople.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, Chinese are amazing!

Personally, I've seen no shortage of rude people in any country, except Japan.
    Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

in england there are many diverse accents,in u.s. are there many accents apart from new york and texas? the american accents all sound the same?! or am i wrong on this one? i have also offended canadians in los by asking them where in u.s. they come from?as they too sound american i also can not tell the difference between the kiwi accent and the aussie accent? having said all of this ,i myself have a strong north east england accent and when is los americans think i am scottish   Daz.

Comment

Americans do indeed have many many regional and distinctive accents. The difference between a Texan and a neighbouring native from Louisiana is very apparent. The difference between someone from Boston and New York also distinct differences.

You would have to live there for quite a while to spot them and successfully localise them correctly.

The difference between regional dialects in North America (including Canada) is that most of the accents can be easily understood by almost all native Englsih speakers.

In Britain our regional accents are so distinct and obscure that they are unintelligable to most native English speakers.

I can understand any American far more clearly and easily than I can people from the North of England, or Wales or Scotland.

Comment

I can understand the Dutch and Danes much better than I can understand many Brits and most Aussies. I can understand Trisha from the PI much easier than I can understand most Aussies. I can understand the dudes from the call centers in Bangalore better than i can understand many Brits and Aussies.

But somehow I'm not sure if the reverse is true, maybe Brits and Aussies can understand Americans cause of movies. or maybe they're just smarter than us.

Comment

Originally posted by (PigDogg @ Sep. 24 2005,19:52)
            I can understand the Dutch and Danes much better than I can understand many Brits and most Aussies. I can understand Trisha from the PI much easier than I can understand most Aussies. I can understand the dudes from the call centers in Bangalore better than i can understand many Brits and Aussies.

But somehow I'm not sure if the reverse is true, maybe Brits and Aussies can understand Americans cause of movies. or maybe they're just smarter than us.
            It's the dental work. They have no problems hearing, but they gots problems speaking.

Anyway, the local accents in America do exist. The single best way I know of hearing it is to go up to a cop and ask directions. Except in Manhattan - you may get a Brooklyn or Jersey accent (now that's very localized!).

Because I don't have the accent of my home state, people there often think I'm from elsewhere. Elsewhere, people are surprised by my background & frequently remark "Hey, you don't have an accent!" (Or, some petty people think they can identify an accent, but they're really finding very specific words that I pronounce differently...and correctly. )

I think it's funny when Anglophones can't understand each other. But, I think it's really funny that Indians tout their fluency in English, yet the folks from South India are frequently unintelligible, even to to other Indians. They think they're speaking English, but Japanese and Chinese ESL folks are far more intelligible to other native speakers.

The other thing that gets my goat is when an ESL student has learned British expressions. Dammit, when they turn red if I mention a fanny pack, well, that's because they took the cheap English course. I should be able to tell a girl that another girl has a nice fanny without getting punched. There are other examples of the results of these cheap English classes, but this is my favorite.
            Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

Originally posted by (PigDogg @ Sep. 24 2005,21:52)
              I can understand the Dutch and Danes much better than I can understand many Brits and most Aussies.  I can understand Trisha from the PI much easier than I can understand most Aussies.  I can understand the dudes from the call centers in Bangalore better than i can understand many Brits and Aussies.

But somehow I'm not sure if the reverse is true, maybe Brits and Aussies can understand Americans cause of movies.  or maybe they're just smarter than us.
              The toughest for me are the Scots. I met a bunch when I went with May to Phuket and stayed at her sister and brother-in-law's guesthouse. He's a Scot and he had several Scottish friends who would be there from time to time. Her brother-in-law was the only one I could understand at all and that was only after I asked him to repeat himself at least once. His friends were all impossible to understand and I just gave up and nodded my head in agreement whenever they said something to me.   And to think at least one Scottish fellow who was there visiting regularly was an English teacher.  

Comment

Originally posted by
                I can understand any American far more clearly and easily than I can people from the North of England, or Wales or Scotland.
                I will try to write s...l...o...w...l...y in future!
                Mister Arse

Comment

Originally posted by (Wethair @ Sep. 23 2005,02:49)
                  Is it only me or are many of the americans realy annoying when they travel in other countrys.

Anyone?
                  No we're not annoying when traveling to other Countries.

We're Fucking Annoying ALL THE TIME.

Here is my Thoughts on Annoying.

With ;    Patients,,,  Humor,,, Knowledge and a Little Fuck'n COMMEN SENSE the (( Emotion )) ANNOYING wouldn't Exsist.

Don't sweat Stogies SPelling remark,,,  These guys have been busting my balls about my spelling for over a year now.
                  Just because I ride the SHORT YELLOW BUS with the BLUE STICKER on the side, and wearing my WWF T-shirt and a Rebal Flag on my Hat, doesn't mean I'm Duppid'''''errr.

My Femboys can Beat up your Ladyboys.  

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Sep. 24 2005,15:00)
                    Fuck me... I can see it now...

"Hey Chuck... how can we win over the nice Dutch people?"
                    "That's been bothering me for years, Lester. We simply MUST do something!"
                    "I know - let's send them a nice cake or something..."
                    "That's a great idea, buddy. Everyone loves cake. Even the Dutch!
                    SB,   Dude,,, Your a FLipp'n RIOT,,,,
                    Lester , Lester the Ladyboy Molester.

My Femboys can Beat up your Ladyboys.  

Comment

Working...
                    X