Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Dieter @ Mar. 22 2008,09:49) Yusuf Islam........
    Fuck him. I wish his religion would sing Peace Train.

Comment

(pacman @ Mar. 22 2008,22:37) He is still wearing his school uniform . . . do I need to tell you the band was AC-DC, with their original & best singer, the late Bon Scott.
      we're  showing our age now, Pacman .... I saw AC/DC in '78 at the  Paradise in Boston, and wore that "Powerage" tour T-shirt around till it had no threads left in it!!

Great ax-man, as you say guys who can make their guitars talk {Frampton?} are cool and smart guys who take their playing beyond simple power chords and learn the intracacies of their instrument  a la Brian May are to be admired. from Wikipedia;  ''He has also had a long-term interest in astrophysics, and has recently completed his doctoral thesis in the subject''.

Doctor May?

OrgasmAddict; good one here.... Walter becker (steely dan)

Little slow for my tastes but knows his instrument
      Guilt is Gods way of telling you you're having too much fun.
      -Dennis Miller

Comment

The Nightwatchman, Tom Morello, guitarist on Audioslave and Rage Against the Machine, is a damn commie but he's an amazing musician.
        Watch him begin at about 1/2 way through this song...

http://www.youtube.com/v/725iONdAu9Q&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/725iONdAu9Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Comment

(surferboy @ Mar. 22 2008,23:12) Tom Morello, guitarist on Audioslave and Rage Against the Machine
          another smart guy {Harvard guy!} who can do tricky things with his guitar. I loved Rage's first 2 CD's.

was on the Rolling Stone list
          -Dennis Miller

Comment

Love or hate Heavy Metal {I love it myself, always have} you can't deny some of the players have talent.... a band I love from Calfifornia named System of a Down has a great guitar player named Daron Malakian who no one else sounds like.

Small guy on the right.... this band is made up of 2nd-generation Armenians re-settled in Pasadena.

Gotta love originality
            Attached Files
            -Dennis Miller

Comment

Great thread.

John Frusciante on RHCP is good, here he plays an acoustic version of Under the Bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/v/8RflZetgKr8&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/8RflZetgKr8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Comment

their original & best singer, the late Bon Scott.
                that Brian Johnson is a clown his hat looks ridiculous.
                surprised nobody's has mentioned Pete Townsend another genius.
                I think its is important to add that while some guitarists have a wealth of technical ability they lack the soul and creativity that truly defines a great guitarist.

loads of wanky solos don' t make you a good guitarist in my book.

Comment

John Frusciante on RHCP is good, here he plays an acoustic version of Under the Bridge.
                  Am i alone in thinking these guys are complete and utter shite...there always playing in the bars over here.

Comment

Damn wish i had invested a few dollars in YouTube back in 2005

Comment

(buttafly @ Mar. 22 2008,23:06) we're  showing our age now, Pacman .... I saw AC/DC in '78 at the  Paradise in Boston, and wore that "Powerage" tour T-shirt around till it had no threads left in it!!

We saw acca-dacca about 12 months (?)  before they broke on the charts, the legal drinking age then was 18 & neither Angus Young nor his younger brother Malcom were old enough to be served.

Apart from their diminuitive stature, you would not pick them as brothers & Angus has never been a good look.

I remember thinking how is he ever going to get a groupie but lord can he play. There seemed nothing he couldn't do.

One night Bon Scott was shouting the words to some song & after each line, young Angus replicated the sound of the words perfectly with his ax.

I have never seen anyone come close to what he was doing at 17.

Now of course he is a happily married family man with half a billion in the bank & I am bar fining whores in LOS.

It's so wrong . . .  
                      Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(monkeyman @ Mar. 22 2008,14:58) Damn wish i had invested a few dollars in YouTube back in 2005  
                        don't beat yourself up over it, for every one of these sites that makes it a thousand don't...

Has anybody mentioned this guy yet?

http://www.youtube.com/v/sfmAeijj5cM...border=1&hl=en">http://www.youtube.com/v/sfmAeijj5cM...border=1&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373">

eeeeeeee, turned out nice again 'int it?

I've made kathylc  

Comment

(orgasmaddict @ Mar. 22 2008,23:43) Am i alone in thinking these guys are complete and utter shite...there always playing in the bars over here.
                          agreed; somewhat.

Chili Peppers have a sounds you either love or hate ....most people hate LOL ...... but they did have 2 great guitar guys over the years; the 2 years they had Dave Navarro {posuer} were a joke for sure and yes, their sound can be a bit annoying.

Another guy not mentioned yet; Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins. Reallly talented, sang and played every instrument save for drums on their first 3 albums but gave credit to others ..... "Hummer" from the 2nd album and the song "Bleed" from the 'Singles' Soundtrack show this guys range; and anyone who can put 5 minutes of distortion and feedback out for sale commecrially [end of Bleed] is OK in my book!
                          -Dennis Miller

Comment

George Formby          

He doesn't really fit this thread, he doesn't really fit anywhere . . but what a character !!

Comment

(orgasmaddict @ Mar. 22 2008,23:39)
                              their original & best singer, the late Bon Scott.
                              that Brian Johnson is a clown his hat looks ridiculous.
                              surprised nobody's has mentioned Pete Townsend another genius.
                              I think its is important to add that while some guitarists have a wealth of technical ability they lack the soul and creativity that truly defines a great guitarist.

loads of wanky solos don' t make you a good guitarist in my book.
                              Agree absolutely that technique alone doesn't make for the best guitarist.

Pete Townsends band The Who played Australia last year (or '06) to the greatest reviews I have ever seen for any live act I can ever recall.

In two different reviews long-time rock journos could not find the words to express how good they were.

Back to AC/DC Brian Johnson did have huge shoes to fill & for the money I would put on a silly hat & have a go.
                              Wouldn't worry too much what anyone thought.

Comment

I'm a bit of a metal head myself as well so have to mention Kirk Hammet of Metallica as someone who could Rock out when he was younger.

The whole band has now turned old and soft and should have retired after the black album but in their day they could really rock out. The origonal Bass player Cliff Burton was a geneious and could play a bass like a six string. But most important they played Heavy Metal at a time when most rock starts were getting perms and wearing spandex.

Another great I haven't seen mentioned yet Randy Rhodes

nullMetal as it should be
                                Beer Baron

Comment

Working...
                                X