X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favourite concerts?

For me nothing beats seeing a great live band , the best possible day/night out for me would have to involve having a few beers and seeing a decent band .

Of the top of my head some of the highlights for me over the last year have been ..........

Neil Young - At Malihide Castle .
    For anyone unfamiliar with Ireland Malihide is a lovely little coastal town about 10km north of Dublin .
    Lucky for us the one decent day of sunshine this summer fell on Sunday 29th June , the day old shaky was in town .
    After a pleasant afternoon drinking Guinness in a local beer garden sun splitting the trees , it was time for a walk through the fields to the castle to catch the living legend that is Neil Young .
    He opened up with "Love and only love " followed by "I've been waiting for you " before launching full blast into "Powderfinger" and" Hey hey my my " every tune maximum volume plus extended guitar solos , every bit as good as Crazy Horse in their prime .
    He even dropped the pace a little for an acoustic set in the middle - "Oh lonesome me , The needle and the damage done, Old man , and Unknown legend " being the highlights , before picking up the electric again for another full frontal assault including a 25 minute + version of "No hidden path " from last years Chrome Dreams album .
    One of the most beautiful things I have witnessed in my life was the sunset over the bay as he played "A day in the life " the old Beatles classic for the encore .Trashing his guitar in the process .

An amazing 2 and a half hours

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Dublin Castle .
    The perfect back drop for old Nick as he stalked the stage like a praying mantis , hollering out a collection of oldies and new material from "Dig Lazarus dig " cursing the night sky , one of the greatest live performers of our generation .

The Stones - Slane Castle .
    Pure rock n roll this one , around twenty of us travelled down from Belfast for this one , camped out in pissing rain , got covered from head to foot in mud , to be part of 80,000 people to see the Stones in Ireland for the first time since 1982 .
    We blagged our way into the front circle , which was about 3 feet of mud , got totally pissed all weekend , I came home minus my shoes , and spent a week in bed with flu ...... real rock n roll man , and yes the Stones were magic

Groove Armada /Super furry animals / The Rapture / Toots and the Maytals - Malihide Castle again for the Lovebox weekender .
    Plus a dance tent , and a Trojan ska/reggae tent for good measure , you just knew you would be a groovin all night and day , and we were

Kasabian - Tennants Vital Belfast .
    One of the best live bands around , they totally blew away the main act - The Killers . Brilliant

Honourable mentions must go to , The Verve and The Enemy .

And I've still got Paul Weller , The kings of Leon and Primal Scream to come later this year

So anyway I've rambled on enough , who is the greatest band or artist you've seen recently , or a long time ago it doesnt matter , lets have em ........
    Attached Files
    Free your mind and your ass will follow .

A couple of memorable events was Live Aid in Philly and the first ever MTV New Year's bash in New York.

Saw the Ramones, Clash, and Specials in small venues.

Comment

Billy Joel & Elton John at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami

David Bowie's "sound and Vision" at Maine Rd Manchester
      seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

(PigDogg @ Oct. 04 2008,01:52) Saw the Ramones, Clash, .

Oh man... so cool. Only seen the Clash once 1980 and Mick Jones wasn´t even in, but angry Strummer in a mohawk is a moment i´ll never forget.
        Ramones once too, mid 90´s , i think.

Seen to many gigs to have a favourite, but any Springsteen gig is up there.

Neil Young a few times, "Hey hey my my" was bigger than life. Backed by Pearl Jam.

Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris ,Ryan Adams and the Stones did memorable gigs of course.
        "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

You guys have some good taste in music.
          One of the most memorable shows I've seen was a series of shows that the English Beat did in a brew pub here in So. Cal. in the early 90s. It was great 'cause we got to see them up close and they busted out all their hits like, Mirror in the Bathroom, Stand Down Margaret, Save it for Later etc.
          Other memorable shows were Bo Diddley at a small place in San Diego in the late 80's, Chuck Berry at Magic Mountain in the early 80s, The Ramones at the Paladium in the 80s, James Brown someplace in LA. I've also been lucky enough to see, at various times and places, The Cramps, Bow Wow Wow, Sunny Ade, Oingo Boingo, Ozomatli, Los Lobos and a reunited Iggy and the Stooges at the first or second Coachela festival, also David Bowie at Angles Stadium when he was doing his Serious Moonlight Tour. I'm sure there are a whole bunch more I just can't remember at the moment.
          I almost forgot, Adam and the Ants in the mid 90s. He still had all his marbles then, and he and Marco and the boys fucking rocked the house.
          Rock on!  
          "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
          Salin' on a summer breeze
          And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
          -Harry Nilsson

Comment

Frank Sinatra & Sammy Davis Jr at Dallas Reunion Arena...

Nothing else comes close... although Ozzy Ozbourne or Alice Cooper were close, followed by Supertramp... followed by... oh the list goes on!

Comment

Depeche Mode 94 Tour

Michael Jackson 87 Tour ( was a very impressive show , not really a gig , but a spectacular show ).

Inxs 83 .

Prince 93 .

and Maroon 5 in 2002 before they where famous in front of a crowd of about 100 people , just because it was so obvious these guys where going to be Very Big .

Comment

(strocube @ Oct. 04 2008,02:41) The Cramps,Oingo Boingo, Los Lobos and a reunited Iggy and the Stooges
                Great bands!
                "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

(PigDogg @ Oct. 04 2008,01:52) Saw the Ramones, Clash, and Specials in small venues.
                  that's the key, to see bands in small clubs and not those stadiums where you have a better chance of seeing the planets line up than the band members.

Jawbreaker, Boston in 1996.... excellent 3-piece band and in a small club, I was 20 feet from the stage.

Most bands I have liked the best live you guys wouldn't even have heard of, but for me and the other 300 or so people there, it's pure heaven;

Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Stiff Little Fingers [6 times!!], saw the Clash in 1982, that was cool ...... Angry Samoans, Tool 3 seperate times, Dayglo Abortions in Montreal, 1998.... Hoodoo Guru's from Australia, D.O.A. from Vancouver many times as well, Dead Kennedys in Boston {Blasphemy!} in 1982, simply amazing; Deftones 3 or 4 times, Limp Bizket as support to them once, that was awesome also.

Dating myself here..... Black Sabbath with Van Halen, 1978..... their last tour before the reunion in 1998, loudest thing I have ever heard to this day.

Pendulum 2 nights ago in Cambridge!!!!!!!! and last summer in Amsterdam, another amazing band from down under

as Stogie says......too many to name, I've probably seen 300 bands in my life, no joke
                  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Speaking of small venues , I saw Oasis about 1994 in the Limelight Bar in Belfast , capacity about 300 , next year they were massive .

JaiDee , Black Flag were fantastic , SLF were local hero's to us when we were kids , Jesus I've lost count how many times I've seen them , a genuine band for genuine kids in Belfast who didn't give a fuck about religion when times were grim .

PigDogg / Seven - The Specials & The Clash are 2 of my favourite bands even to this day , but I was still at school when they broke up , I would have loved to have seen them in their prime

Someone mentioned the Cramps & The Stooges , God imagine seeing those bad mothers in their hayday

Some great bands already here , keep em coming
                    Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

Jimslim,i'm surprised you haven't mentioned the group playing in the bar in walking street we went to play pool in,our last week in Pattaya.I could swear you told that was the best live music you ever listened too.
                      Magic.
                      A friend in need is a f**king pest

Comment

queen 1986 st.james park,newcastle

Comment

(JaiDee @ Oct. 04 2008,04:13)  Most bands I have liked the best live you guys wouldn't even have heard of, but for me and the other 300 or so people there, it's pure heaven;

Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Stiff Little Fingers [6 times!!], saw the Clash in 1982, that was cool ...... in Hoodoo Guru's Dead Kennedys in Boston {Blasphemy!} in 1982, simply amazing;  Deftones 3
                          Í´ve heard of them and i like them.
                          Agent Orange ant the Pixies worth a mention

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

(jimslim @ Oct. 04 2008,05:30) Someone mentioned the Cramps & The Stooges , God imagine seeing those bad mothers in their hayday  
                            The Cramps were crazy Lux Interior came out in high heels pumps and blagh tight leatherpants pulled to his pubes. Poison Ivy was cool too.
                            Date with Elvis!  

And Iggy is just nuts..

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

My first ever gig was The Rolling Stones, back in 1965 at Melbournes Palais theatre, aged 9.
                              The next one I remember was The Monkees at Festival Hall in either 1967/68.
                              Then we really get going:In no particualar order
                              Elton John in about 72 at Kooyong
                              Lou Reed - in his Rock'N'Roll Animal days at Festival hall-The dualling guitars of Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner and Reed dancing around as the heroin infused madman.
                              Brian Ferry & Roxy Music several times.
                              Black Sabbath - at Kooyong
                              Led Zeppelin - at Kooyong
                              Can - at Hammersmith
                              Hawkwind - at Hammersmith
                              Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs - many times
                              Split Enz-Many Times
                              Slade - at The Showgrounds
                              Iggy Pop - with & without The Stooges
                              Leonard Cohen
                              Smashing Pumpkins
                              Ramones
                              Cheap Trick
                              Warren Zevon
                              New Order
                              Offspring
                              U2
                              Madonna
                              Monster Magnet
                              Pearl Jam
                              Simple Minds
                              The Cure
                              Nick Cave - in all his guises- Boys Next Door, Birthday Party, Bad Seeds.
                              Stranglers
                              Dead Kennedys - who I brought out to Aus in 1983
                              Screamin Jay Hawkins - toured for me in 1985
                              D.R.I. - toured for me in 1987.
                              Roger Waters latest tour
                              TOOL - The best prog rock band around in the 2000's
                              However the greatest gig of ALL was seeing PINK FLOYD at the Rod Laver Arena in Feb 1988.
                              I have left out many local Aus bands like Midnight Oil, etc but as I ran a venue ( one of the best) in Melbourne during the early 1980's I also had many O/S and top local acts playing there that sadly I can't remember.
                              Music & Films are the main interests in my life since a very young age.

Comment

Working...
                              X