Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remember , it only takes one white crow

Comment

• I have a bottle of Crown Black and I am trying to be the last post on everything in the New Post section. The post has to make some sense not drunken babble.
      TEXASMAC

Comment

• I made it. The Crown Black is half full and I hit very new post.
        TEXASMAC

Comment

• (TEXASMAC @ Aug. 13 2011,14:04) The post has to make some sense not drunken babble...
          Aw shucks... Please don't change!

I'm really Sexist...

Comment

• Most of the babble is when I am sober.
            TEXASMAC

Comment

• Average sozzled Brit sinks 5,800 pints during life
              http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/19/booze_survey/
              Spends £58,201 on booze before kicking bucket
              By Lester Haines €¢ Posted in Bootnotes, 19th August 2011 08:58 GMT

A "shock" survey has revealed that the average Brit will sink 5,800 pints during a lifetime of hardened drinking, washed down with 8,700 glasses of wine, 2,900 bottles of cider, 5,800 shots of spirits, 1,450 cocktails, 1,450 glasses of liquor and a similar number of glasses of bubbly.

The cost of this boozing is £962 a year, meaning that by the time your liver heads off to the great off licence in the sky, you'll have spunked an impressive £58,201.

That's according to Benenden Healthcare Society, which notes that most of us take our first livener at just 14, and then proceed to "have an alcoholic drink on at least three nights a week and consume nine drinks in total".

By Vulture Central standards this is a very modest estimate, but Benenden does correctly note that "four in ten Brits admitted they can€™t go longer than a week without having a drink, but one in ten said they would struggle to make it through two days without cracking open a bottle".

A shocked Lawrence Christensen, Benenden Healthcare's Communications & Strategy head honcho, said: "Day by day, we may not notice our drinking habits and may not think about what it€™s costing us. But add it all up and the amounts become quite staggering.

"Recommended guidelines for alcohol consumption are 3-4 units per day in men, equating to around a pint and a half of 4% strength beer, and 2-3 units in women - a single 175 ml glass of 13% strength wine for women.

"This means that by getting through 456 drinks a year on average, many Brits are sailing perilously close to the wind and, in many cases, most likely exceeding guidelines.

"The yearly financial cost of this level of consumption also gives pause for thought, with £962 a year being no small sum for many families in the UK."

That's all well and good, but as Vivian Stanshall's Sir Henry Rawlinson once put it: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink". ®

Comment

• If you take the actual toxin count i do believe that the Russians are way ahead of us by a mile. The life expectancy over there is still 55.
                Vodka is there tipple as we know

I got on Aeroflot once and everyone on the plain was drinking neat Voldka fom the duty free they just bought at the airport .

Comment

• We should raise the age of drinking to 30.
                  I'm really Sexist...

Comment

• I  would never trade my amazing friends, my  wonderful life,
                    my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.  As
                    I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical
                    of  myself. I've become my own  friend. I don't chide myself
                    for eating  that extra cookie, or for not  making my bed, or
                    for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but  
                    looks so avante garde on my patio.  I am entitled to a treat,
                    to be  messy, to be extravagant.

I  have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon;
                    before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging..

Whose  business is it if I choose to read or play on the
                    computer until 4 AM and  sleep until noon? I will dance with
                    myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60  &70's, and if I,
                    at the same time, wish  to weep over a lost love ...... I
                    will.

I  will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over
                    a bulging body, and  will dive into the waves with  abandon
                    if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet
                    set.  They, too, will get  old.

I  know I am sometimes forgetful.  But there again, some of
                    life is just as well forgotten. And I  eventually remember
                    the important things.

Sure,  over the years my heart has been broken.  How can
                    your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a
                    child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit
                    by a car?  But broken  hearts are  what give us strength and
                    understanding and compassion.   A heart  never broken is
                    pristine and sterile and will  never know the joy of  being
                    imperfect.

I  am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair
                    turning gray, and to  have my youthful laughs be forever
                    etched into deep grooves on my face.

So  many have never laughed, and so many have died before
                    their hair could turn  silver.

As  you get older, it is easier to be positive.  You care
                    less about what other people think..  

I don't question myself anymore  

I've even earned the right to be wrong.
                    So,to answer your question:

I like being old.  It has set me free. I like the person I
                    have become.  

I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here,I
                    will not waste time lamenting what could  have been,
                    or worrying about what will be.  

And I shall eat dessert every single day  (if I feel like it).

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART, ESPECIALLY
                    WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT  FROM THE  HEART!   

Comment

• In back of a Science Mag i get weekly they have a column called feedback where they publish weird and stupid things in the press and the world at large .   Some Doctor wrote in and mentioned that he bought a box of special pills for relief of an ulcer i think it was and on the reading the list of side effects it had   ... Dizzyness, Sore throat, Headache, Death...

If you are subject to any of these side effects please tell your Doctor immediately

Comment

• Torurot, that was actually very touching.
                        TEXASMAC

Comment

• It was quite good but OBVIOUSLY I did not pen it.... Probably applies to many of us list members with greying hair.

Comment

• What? you werent the original author
                            TEXASMAC

Comment

• Can't remember the thread for cazy pics so

I feel the need for....
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Small and insignificant!    
                                http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/    (lots more here)

Larger version here  http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110904.html
                                In the Shadow of Saturn
                                Image Credit: Cassini Imaging Team, SSI, JPL, ESA, NASA

Explanation: In the shadow of Saturn, unexpected wonders appear. The robotic Cassini spacecraft now orbiting Saturn drifted in giant planet's shadow for about 12 hours in 2006 and looked back toward the eclipsed Sun. Cassini saw a view unlike any other. First, the night side of Saturn is seen to be partly lit by light reflected from its own majestic ring system. Next, the rings themselves appear dark when silhouetted against Saturn, but quite bright when viewed away from Saturn, slightly scattering sunlight, in this exaggerated color image. Saturn's rings light up so much that new rings were discovered, although they are hard to see in the image. Seen in spectacular detail, however, is Saturn's E ring, the ring created by the newly discovered ice-fountains of the moon Enceladus and the outermost ring visible above. Far in the distance, at the left, just above the bright main rings, is the almost ignorable pale blue dot of Earth.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X