Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that Matt Damon wasn't the best choice as LaBoeuf in True Grit, he can be very wooden IMO, he's an actor who takes himself very seriously.

He was good as Jason Bourne but next to Jeff Bridges, he looks like he just stepped out of the shower. They needed someone who grows whiskers but I digress.

For Kahuna's information, I am sure he will appreciate the movie much more on a big screen, its that type of flick. This is one remake that is better than the original.

And the young girl is excellent. At least as good as the 10 yo Anna Paquin when she won Best Supporting Actress in The Piano. I give her a huge chance of winning this year.

I haven't seen all the performances but if I were a betting man, I would like a few shekels on her.
    Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(Bumpa STIKKA @ Jan. 14 2011,11:54) True Grit was awful. The character of Cogburn was just plain annoying and the movie had none of the landscaped beauty of the original 1969 film version.

I didn't notice this when I posted my opinion above. Was this another case of watching the movie on a small screen? (either computer or TV)

So many films need to be seen at the movies to get the full effect. It is so pronounced with some releases that I ignore negative comments if they are not based on the full cinematic experience.

Black Swan was a captivating (if confusing) drama and the lead is absolutely gorgeous!
      Half way through Black Swan I wanted my money back. I couldn't see where it was going & I was dreading the thought that it was turning into the mother of all melodramas.

By the end, I was so happy I sat it out. It isn't for everyone, a film based on classical ballet where a vulnerable girl has to put up with fellow dancers, her mother & the ballet director.

It's another of those films where you can't explain it, you just have to watch it. Like The Sixth Sense but it isn't like that at all. Personallly I found the last 5 minutes worth the wait.

One of the more surreal moments in my film-going memory, this film will be a classic. And will always be mentioned when dance films are discussed.

But let me be clear, if you have zero interest in ballet & drawn-out story lines, this just might be the most excruciating experience possible. You pay your money, you take your chances.

Comment

On a whim I saw The Fighter this week. Though it had good reviews, it wasn't being given major promotion, hell, even Yogi Bear was on at 3 times more places.

So it was either an "Art Film" or it wasn't considered to be commercially viable enough to warrant the full treatment. But the reviews for the acting performances of the leads were very strong so off I went to learn for myself.

I went through a similar process to the Black Swan, at first I had misgivings, then I regretted coming till finally I walked out blown away by the terrific job the cast does of bringing this true story to the screen. They do say it is BASED on a true story but close enough for me.

I would watch it again just to see British actor Christian Bale give one of the great acting performances ever as the drug addicted loser older brother to Mark Wahlberg. His transformation from Batman to Dicky is amazing.

Bale on screen is so convincing I would never have known he wasn't an American playing some dumb schmuck if I had not known who was in the film. He reminded me of Daniel Day-Lewis but better.

I wrote earlier that Geoffrey Rush should be rewarded for his role in The King's Speech. Should he win another Oscar I can only say that the people who voted for him never saw Bale give the performance of his life.

Wahlberg is being praised for his performance but seriously, he is good, Bale is brilliant. And in the closing credits, the two brothers the movie is based on are shown talking to the camera. Bale has Dicky down to a T. He can't be beaten for the Oscar IMO.
        Attached Files

Comment

Downloading "The Kings Speech'' right now.

My 2 favs of 2011 were "The Town", about bank robbers in Boston and highly recommended, and "The Social Network";  who would ever guess a movie about Facebook would be so entertaining?  I saw both in movie theaters in Montreal with my daughter and she enjoyed them as well, just well-made and fascinating jobs done by all involved.

* Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails fame did the score for "Social Network'' and is up for an Oscar for his work; good for him, I hope he wins!    
          Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

I really liked Exit Through the Gift Shop.
            "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
            Salin' on a summer breeze
            And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
            -Harry Nilsson

Comment

(tomscam @ Jan. 23 2011,15:09) I saw True Grit (2010) a few days ago and loved it. I'd never heard of the book or previous movie so had no preconceived ideas about it. I thought the dialogue was the real highlight of the movie and the cast did a great job as well. Afterwards I watched the John Wayne original and was disappointed by that movie. The acting was terrible (John Wayne especially), and the dialogue was flat. I think what sets the two films apart is that the Coen brothers create characters who bring personality to a movie rather than one dimensional stereo-types.
              Young fella, if you're looking for trouble I'll accommodate ya.

Comment

Working...
              X