X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror Threat?

There has been a terror alert for Bangkok. Normall, I would take these with a HUGE pinch of salt but perhaos they ahve some credible info. Arrests at the airport of "known" Hezbollah members. Hell, maybe they got tired of shagging camles/sheep and just wanted some quickie nookie in the capital.

Anyone there see anything different? Hell, I would think Nana Plaza would be a huge target but read in the reports they had their aim on Ko Saan Road.
    Be careful out there!

It's credible,

Here's the story from today's Bangkok Post

US, Israel issue severe terror alert
    Lebanese man held at Suvarnabhumi airport
    Published: 13/01/2012 at 11:21 PM Online news: Local News

The United States and Israel have issued a warning of possible severe terrorist attacks in Bangkok after Thai authorities arrested a Lebanese suspect.

Police detained the man with suspected links to the Hizbollah militant group, which is backed by Iran, at Suvarnabhumi airport Friday evening as he attempted to leave the kingdom, said Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, who oversees national security.

Mr Chalerm said police have control of the the situation and urged the public not to panic. The situation was not as severe as initially feared, he added.

The authorities had received information about the terror suspect before the US issued the warning.

The US embassy said in a message posted on its website Friday that foreign terrorists may be in the process of looking to launch attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future.

US ambassador Kristie Kenney on Friday afternoon tweeted that "the info is specific and credible, concerns foreign terrorists and tourist areas in BKK."

US citizens are urged to exercise caution when visiting public areas where large groups of Western tourists gather in Bangkok, the embassy added.

They are also encouraged to keep a low profile in public areas, particularly those frequented by foreign tourists, it said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she had previously received information from the US regarding a terror threat and assigned Mr Chalerm and national police chief Priewpan Damapong to the case.

She also put the Royal Thai Police and National Intelligence Agency on high alert and ordered them to report to her around the clock.

Ms Yingluck confirmed a suspect had been arrested but she refused to disclose any further information about the capture.

"The arrest has been made but it is best to wait until things are clearer to announce more details," the prime minister said.

Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong said the situation has now been brought under control.

He said officers are now investigating the incident and they will give more details shortly.

Gen Priewpan said that police received intelligence about a possible terrorist threat late last year and have since been on alert.

A highly placed source at the Immigration Bureau said the US embassy told Thai authorities before Christmas that it had been informed by the Israeli embassy a group of suspected militants would launch attacks in Thailand, with Western and American people as their targets.

An investigation by the Metropolitan Police Bureau and the Special Branch Bureau found that a militant group travelled from Lebanon and stayed near Khao San Road.

They held two passports - Lebanese and Swedish. However, they managed to escape when police raided their room, although one of them was eventually arrested at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Defence Minister Yutthasak Sasiprapa Friday said security agencies had monitored the movements of terrorist suspects belonging to Hizbollah in Lebanon.

He said the suspects may plot car bomb attacks against important locations such as the Israeli embassy, Israeli churches, tour companies and restaurants visited by Israelis.

Gen Yutthasak said the terrorist threat in Thailand may also be linked with strained US ties with Iran. He said vulnerable locations, where both US and Israeli tourists congregate, have now been issued with alerts.

He added the government was concerned that the news of possible terrorist attacks could throw the public into a panic and would hurt tourism.

A security source said officers from the police and military have now been deployed at key locations including Suvarnabhumi and Khao San Road.

An Israeli intelligence unit reportedly told Thai authorities on Dec 22 that at least three terrorist suspects would arrive in Thailand to plot attacks. However, the suspects went to the southern provinces before leaving the country.

On Jan 8, the intelligence unit warned Thai authorities again that terrorist suspects would plan attacks in Thailand this weekend with tourist spots as their prime targets.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said the ministry also had information about the possible terrorist threat for some time.

The ministry has worked closely with security agencies and other countries to step up security measures to prevent any possible contingencies and to provide protection for diplomats and international organisations based in Thailand.

Metropolitan Police Bureau chief Winai Thongsong had ordered officers to secure places tourists gather over Christmas and the New Year and security remains tight in these areas.

Tharit Pengdit, director-general of the Department of Special Investigation, said the agency's national security case bureau and a detective centre is monitoring people suspected of fomenting violence in Thailand.
    It's a worry, and likely these terrorists will try again, even though this attempt was thwarted.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I've always wondered its taken as long as it has... Given the large muslim population of the lower Sukhamvit, the drama down south I have always considered BKK or Bangla ripe for a a Balinese style bombing.
      f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Yeah I always thought the same... given the design of Nana Plaza, a U shaped design, open facing to the street... just think if a car bomb exploded right out front. There is only one way out of that fire trap!

Comment

I shudder to think about it. It would be catastrophic for the tourist industry & would empower other fundamentalists to have a go wherever they are.

Let's hope that the local constabulary are up to the task, we all have a lot riding on it.
          Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

On the other hand there are vast political implications in taring Hezbollah. Perhaps one should be looking at the groups holding the Tar Brush. Poking the hive with sticks is seldom productive. There is whole industries whose existence depends on you being afraid". The situation was not as severe as initially feared, he added.""

Just don't hang out with the wrong crowd...

Comment

I remember sitting in Nana a fews years back with Thaibound and Katoeylover after a big bomb had gone off somewhere the other side of town which killed a few poor souls and was believed to be some loony Islamist nut group responsible

Thaibound looked around Lucky Lukes and said " shit , this place could be next and theres only one way out". He left pretty quickly afterwards

Nana would be a target thats for sure.. `

Comment

"Anywhere" could be a target, and you might die today, or tomorrow, or you could live a long and eventful life. There is FAR more chance of being hit by a bus crossing Sukumvit Rd.
                Doesn't mean you have to go around with your eyes closed, but REALISTICALLY..... the chances are low.

Comment

The latest market for Bangkok Terrorist Target quotes

Soi Cowboy 7/1

Patpong 4/1

Nana Plaza 1/10 odds on

"Anywhere" 100/1

Comment

What a buncha shite. Just more propaganda by the Ministey of Truth. "Be afraid!" "They hate you for your freedoms."  The bad Arab man wil come and do bad things to you.    
                    These clowns need a pretext to justify the continued expansion of the corporate military empire, so every now and then, they find it expedient to scare the rubes with "Terror Alerts."
                    I think I remember some statistic that the number of people, world-wide, killed by terrorist attacks, is in the thousands, and it's like in the hundreds for Americans. Yet, the empire insists it needs TRILLIONS of dollars every year to "fight the global war on terror." Though, I think the rhetoric has changed since Obama was installed. In any case, it's business as usual for the military industrial complex.
                    I piss on them and their "Terror Alert."
                    "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
                    Salin' on a summer breeze
                    And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
                    -Harry Nilsson

Comment

I am struggling to write a proportional response to you Stro. I completely agree that the US military industrial complex is a massive blackhole that soaks up billions for its nefarious activities... however, if not for the continuous monitoring of radical elements around the world, there would be many more attacks on places of "western decadence".

So the number of people killed in these attacks may not be so high but how many more thousands would be dead now if there weren't such operations. I do get your point though, the Neo-Cons in the previous administration used the fear of more attacks to justify raiding Iraq, an enormously expensive folly, then they eroded American freedoms with some draconian provisions hidden in the Patriot Act. Plus things we are still learning.

All the costs, all the mistakes, all the dead soldiers, all justified by the never-ending war on terror.

Comment

Well Pacman I still think if you ran the book on your odds above vs that Bus/Taxi/Tuk Tuk/Elephant/Motorcycle taking you out on Sukumvit, BKK or Beach Rd (or 2nd Rd) in Pataya, or Bangla in Patong or 2P Rd  it would be very short odds vs ANY "teerorist" Action. Remember what happened to DaveDuke007 with the photos to prove it!! I'm with Strocube on this one. DON'T be afraid, but don't be clueless & unaware either!!!  

Comment

NEWS UPDATE!

The Hizbollah militant group, is now claiming responsibility with the sudden rise of car bombings of non handicapped people parking in handicapped spots.

http://www.youtube.com/v/FcPM6Ripbu8?version=3&hl=en_US">http://www.youtube.com/v/FcPM6Ripbu8?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Comment

God forbid there were a bomb attack on Nana, but come on guys, be honest now, how many would stop going to BKK for fun & frolics ?

I Know Pacci wont go to Bali cause of the Muslim nut nut's, didnt & wont stop me & a bomb at Nana wouldn't stop me going to Bangers either.

How About You ?
                            Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

Oh it won't stop me from going up to BKK...but it will make me less inclined to love the rag heads around Nana Intersection and Soi 5.
                              f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Working...
                              X