Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Googled best NFL QBs and got over 10,300,000 hits...

Now I didn't look at  all 10,300,000 links, but I'd wager there ain't two alike...

And truth is, I did find Reno Hightower at the top of one of the lists...

I didn't find Steve Spurrier on any of those I looked at though...Nor John Brodie...

I think I'll put them on mine...
    "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Funny I thought Elway should have deffo made the list. I would ahve to pick Montana. Didnt have the best arm but had the leaership abilities and coolness when his team needed it the most. Was great under pressure and ran the best 2 minute drill ever!!

its a bit awkward putting Brady and Manning on the list as their stories havent been finished as of yet. Smutts your disdain of Manning is clouding your vision and fairness. the guy is incredible and is ahving yet another MVP season. I dont know the answer but how many MVPs have these guys won:

Farve (deffo not in the top 5)
      Bradshaw
      Manning
      montana
      Brady
      Be careful out there!

Comment

Montana has the most votes right now....sounds about right, he WAS one of the best ever for sure.

Johnny Unitas in 2nd place .....only us old-timers remember him

But he was a fucking great one also.

I still say Bradshaw....had guts, was a winner, played in crappy weather, has 4 rings, etc.......
        Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Sorry not my sport, can think of some good left backs though!
          i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

(marshal @ Nov. 03 2009,09:08) !
            Sorry not my sport, can think of some good left backs though

Well, whi dnt you start a thread asking who the greatest athlete, goalkeeper, footballer, shag ever??

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!
            Be careful out there!

Comment

(smuttleydfs @ Nov. 01 2009,06:59)
              (Lefty @ Oct. 31 2009,14:52) I don't like or agree with your SB ring rule. Dan Marino is the best QB ever to play. Even Bill Walsh said that.

SB rings are won by an entire TEAM, not by one QB regardless of the talent surrounding him. FACT.
              Sorry my left minded bro. But greatness is predicated on winning more then anything and Marino always fell short

Bradshaw, Starr, Brady, Montana,Elway, Young and Aikman all have showed their leadership abilities in winning championships evn if their talent level didn't match Marino's.

I agree Marino had amazing talent but he lacked the leadership required to win championships in College and in the pros.

Bradshaw was a horrible technique QB but his leadership was beyond compare. Same with Aikman although it didn't hurt for him to have Irvin and Emitt Smith not to mention a great D

There was never a greater on the field leade then Bart Starr, a shame he couldn't transfer that to coaching but he was a good GM

Namath pre-knee injury was another amazing talent but we he lost his "escapability" he fell apart.

If you insist on Marino you have to consider Jim Kelley and Fran Tarkenton. They at least led their teams to 4 Super Bowls even though they lost all 4

Sorry Smuttley, but you are wrong. JD, you too. NO QB in the history of the league is good enough all by himself to overcome a supporting roster of mediocre talent.

You all are on the Bradshaw bandwagon here. Let's say for example, Bradshaw was drafted by the Saints and Archie Manning was drafted by Pittsburgh.

Would you still believe Terry would have even one SB ring let alone 4? Would you still believe Archie would have had a mediocre career on a perennial cellar dweller?

A lot of you like to sniff Joe Montana's jock, like he was the best. I'll tell you what...Joe was just damned lucky he got drafted by Bill Walsh, or his career in the NFL would now be just an afterthought of him bunched in with a cluster of middle tier QBs.

Football is the consummate team sport. Based on your reasoning, Mark Rypien was a better pro QB than Marino, along with Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Doug Williams.

Another all time great QB was Jim Kelly. Let's say for example he was drafted by the 49ers, and Montana was elsewhere. I have no doubt whatsoever that the 49ers would have won just as many Super Bowls with Kelly as their QB as they did with Montana and Young.

I've seen and read what Bill Walsh said about Marino, compared to Montana, and I'll take his point of view over any of the misguided ones I've read here.

BTW, I sure don't see where you could consider Bradshaw or Aikman to have poor technique. Are you referring to their passing mechanics? If so, I'd say your dead wrong there too. Aikman especially had about as ideal of passing technique, in all aspects, as any QB could ever have. Also, do you think if Aikman had been in Miami his entire career, and Marino came to Dallas when Jimmy Johnson took over, that Aikman would still have 3 SB rings and Marino, due to his lack of leadership that you accuse him of having, would not have been able to guide that talent laden Dallas team to SB wins in the same years Aikman did.

All you all are taking the easy way out when opining who is the best QB ever. You are looking at just championships, like the QB can control that all by himself.
              There are a myriad of factors that determine a great QB. Championships often come about because of the surroundings a particular QB may have found himself in when he came into the league, as well as the other side of the coin.
              Jim Plunkett came into the NFL as one of the most highly rated college QBs ever. Had he been forced to remain on the sorry 70s ear Patriots his entire career, he'd have ZERO SB rings. By getting the chance to join a winning team with top surrounding talent, he was able to play up to his potential.

You guys who think a QB can carry any team all by himself, amuse me with your naivety.
              “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
              ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(marshal @ Nov. 03 2009,09:08) Sorry not my sport, can  think of some good left backs though!
                Yeah good point Blue Balz i,ll start a swimming thread just kidding
                i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

I'm sorry you disagree Lefty but if here was ever a straw poll amongst playes, coaches and sportswriters w/o bias Marino would likely do no better the top 5. Methinks you let your orange/teal hued glasses cloud your vision more then my maize and blue ones do

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
                  ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

You should have left Aikman and Manning off the list and added Elway and Marino. The mark of a great quarterback is determined by leadership and talent and Joe Montana, Dan Marino and John Elway are the three greatest quarterbacks ever. Any one of those guys could lead his team down the field against any defense in the league and score under pressure, when it mattered. I recall watching many games where those guys brought their teams from behind to score in the last two minutes of games. At their best, they were unstoppable.

Comment

Alan you facist!! All those QBs are deffo RIGHT handed!!!!!
                      Be careful out there!

Comment

If you were to take such a poll amongst players, Brett Favre would do well too, but that doesn't stop one certain someone here from berating him endlessly.

Fuck a bunch of sports writers. That is one job where it is painfully obvious that knowledge and qualifications are NOT a requirement for getting hired.

Why would I want to wear Orange and Teal glasses? Those are not the Dolphins colors. It's Aqua and Coral. Now, Coral is just a fancy way of saying orange, but aqua is not teal. The Jags wear teal.

Good response though, since there is nothing substantive or pertinent to say that would defeat my premise.

By the logic I see espoused in this thread, Robert Horry is a better NBA player than Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson because he has more rings. You may say well it is different in the NBA. Sure it is. Any player is 20% of the total, where in the NFL, a QB is one of 22 starters. It's logical to see that being 1/5 makes your impact on the game potentially greater than if you're 1/22 of the starters.

"Joe Montana plays excellent in this system. But Dan Marino, that guy is a system." ~ Bill Walsh
                        ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(alan1chef @ Nov. 04 2009,12:57) You should have left Aikman and Manning off the list and added Elway and Marino. The mark of a great quarterback is determined by leadership and talent and Joe Montana, Dan Marino and John Elway are the three greatest quarterbacks ever. Any one of those guys could lead his team down the field against any defense in the league and score under pressure, when it mattered. I recall watching many games where those guys brought their teams from behind to score in the last two minutes of games. At their best, they were unstoppable.
                          Yes it is ridiculous for Elway to not be on any list of all time great QBs. He sure struggled in the first couple of Super Bowls he went to though.

Then late in his career, when his skills had slightly eroded, his Bronco TEAM somehow won a couple of them. How could this be? Could it be that Denver found a RUNNING GAME and a DEFENSE??? Could it be that football is the consummate team sport, and that NO quarterback, no matter how great an individual player he is, can't win a championship without a strong supporting cast???

According to some of yous here, if a QB has sufficient leadership skills, then he can somehow will his team to a championship, the supporting cast be damned.
                          You types should stick to watching bowling, golf, and rodeo, except team roping of course.
                          ― Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

(Lefty @ Nov. 03 2009,22:33) Coral is just a fancy way of saying orange, but aqua is not teal.
                            At least they don't wear lavendar.

Comment

I admitted to making an error leaving off Elway!!

He was actually the BEST I have ever seen in the 2-minute drill ...... when the ball was in his hands and the game was on the line you could pretty much rest assured the win was in the bag. Yes, Marino was like that also; but even the most liberal followers of the game out there usually say he will always have an asterisk by his name for NOT winning the big one; damn shame because he surely was a great one.

Don't forget another great one who never won a title and never got much recognition because he was in San Diego the whole time; hell, he may as well have been in the witness protection program....... Dan Fouts. That guy could rack up some yardage and points!
                              Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

I always enjoyed watching Air Coryell at my alma mater, San Diego State...and Dan Fouts was a master at executing Air Coryell. Unfortunately Fouts and Marino never had a good balanced team around them. Neither San Diego nor Miami had much of a defense then.

Comment

Working...
                                X