X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Predictions

OK I had a looksee at the groups and the pairings after the group stage. I have seen some predictions and so many have the same teams in there. One of the delights of a tourney like this are the shocks results aka upsets. Thats the charm. We all know there are only, maybe, 5 countries that can actually win it. For the "smaller" ie less powerful footballing nations success can be measured by just getting out of the group. I mean what would happen if New Zealand were to make it out of the group stage??

While I have picked a lot of "chalk", I also ahve some shock results factored in. Its so easy picking Brazil or Argentina to win it. I had been quite pessimistic regarding my own natons chances. We (USA) were quite lucky with the draw as we got one of the weakest African teams and hardly one of the toughest Eurpean teams in Slovenia. I wasn tlaking about Engerland you guys!!! As te toundey gets closer, I have gotten a bit more optimistic but we have many concerns. If you were to offer me a point v Engerlan, I would snatch your hand off right now!!!

Here goes:

Group A: France, South Africa
    Looks like a weak group. Would LOVE to see France crash and burn. Not confident about the Bafana Bafana but no host nation has ever gone out on the first round. Mexico blows hot and cold and sometimes they just blow....

Group B: Argentina, South Korea
    Arg perhaps a wild card. They just barley qualified due to, many say, the "quirks" of its coke and champange loving manager. Quite a lot of talent though.

Group C: Enerland, USA
    Have to pick USA but dont have enough cheek to pick us to win the group.

Group D: Germany, Serbia
    I ahve Germany winning the entire tourney. I think they might do well even without Ballack. Second place is up for grabs.

Group E: Holland, Japan
    Everyone loves the Dutch as they have a lot of talent. See group D for second place.

Group F: Paraguay, Italy
    I got tired of picking chalk and Italy are notoriously slow starters in World Cups past. Roque Santa Crock to score 5 goals in the group and get injured getting out of the bathtub before the knock out stage!!!

Group G: Brazil, Ivory Coast
    Group of Death. Would have loved to see North Korea in an easier group. Hope the dancing show pony flops!! It was a crime that FIFA decided to seed the playoff team. I felt a lot better about the Ivorians BEFORE DD's injury. I HAD to pick an African team to do some damge in the first World Cup in Africa. The Elephants are it.....

Group H: Spain, Chile
    Spain usually falls flat. Can they stand being the Fav?? Boy, do theyhave some talent. Torres to stub toe in the first 5 minutes of the first match and injured for a month. How many will Honduras concede?? Hope they do well though.

KNOCK OUT STAGE:
    Round of 16:

France v South Korea-South Korea
    England v Serbia-England
    Germany v USA-Germany
    Argentina v South Africa-Argentina
    Holland v Italy-Italy
    Brazil v Chile-Brazil
    Paraguay v Japan-Japan (BTW what odds for THIS match up?)
    Spain v Ivory Coast- Ivory Coast (so boring picking favs)

QUARTERFINALS:
    Italy v Brazil-Brazil
    South Korea v England-Engalnd (Whomever wins Group C COULD have a nice path to the semis)
    Germany v Argentina-Germany (Maradona takes off Messi in the 20th minute for tactical reasons LOL)
    Japna v Ivory Coast-Ivory Coast

SEMIFINALS:
    Brazil v England-Brazil
    Germany v Ivory Coast-Germany

FINAL:
    Brazil v Germany- Germany (Imagine if Germany defeats BOTH Argentina and Brazil in the same week???)

OK I might be crazy but its onna be a whole lot of fun!!!! Take the plunge and gives us your predictions!!!!
    Be careful out there!

thanx for taking the time to do that...however too many variable can affect the pairings.The groups are seeded to allow FIFA.s pets to get thru ie france ,germany,england italy and spain.Barring a major slip up-they should all qualify along with brazil and argentina.The winner can only come from those teams.I fancy usa to get a draw against england,but not qualifying as I fancy slovenia to qualify ahead of them.They are a good team slovenia,knocking russia out in the qualifying play offs.Germany will NOT win it or even reach the finals.I spoke to a German lad recently in Pattaya,a fan of Hanover 96 actually,and he gave me a run down of their team....basically,poor goalkeepers,dodgy defense and no michael ballack!He says they have lots of very good young players coming thru,but they are not ready yet.My tip....Argentina to beat Spain/Italy in the final.England out in quarter finals(or before) Germany out in the quarter finals.Dark horses?slovenia and N,Korea.

Comment

North Korea?? How are they getting out of THAT group?? I KNOW you can get a very GOOD price for them to advance. Its all in good fun. I mean if all the favs advance, how fucking boring is that?? I would LOVE to see at least one team from each Confederation advance to the 2nd round and at least one nation from outside the traditional Europe/South America powerbase make it into the semis.

Slovenia over USA for that second spot, I wouldnt be shocked thats for sure.

I really want to know JaiDees tips for this tournament!!!!!
      Be careful out there!

Comment

I know Germany is a stretch but hey its WAAAAAAAY boring picking 100% chalk!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE & U S A U S A!!!!
        Be careful out there!

Comment

(travis bickle @ Jun. 08 2010,21:52) Barring a major slip up-they should all qualify along with brazil and argentina.The winner can only come from those teams.
          I will happily bet against ALL the favourites going through the first round.

The joker in the pack is this new ball that has the teams worried. It doesn't stop like previous balls. What I have read about it confirms to me that the likelihood of upsets is greater than any World Cup before.

And the World Cup always throws up upsets. Need I remind anyone that Australia were only beaten by Italy at the last WC when one of their men staged for a penalty & was awarded a kick at full time. Up till then, Australia had outplayed them, yet Italy went on to win the Cup.

I think BlueBallz has played safe but conservative in selecting the better teams IMO. Most of them will go through, but all of them? No way.

I stuck my neck out on the other thread & selected North Korea, Mexico, USA & Australia as the semi finalists. If none of them get up, I am a dope for thinking so, but..... & it's a big but, if one of them gets through, I am a genius.
          Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Jun. 08 2010,22:36) North Korea??  How are they getting out of THAT group??  
            Who knows what a team of desperate men are capable of? One thing for sure, you just know that no one will be trying harder.

I am with Whore on backing North Korea, the head says "no" but the heart says "yes".

I love underdogs & I love a great sporting upset. I expect to see a few this year.
            Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

The shocks and upsets are what make the tournament-all tournaments in fact-so compelling. I have picked all of the "big teams" to make the second round and I really hope I am WRONG!!!

Like I said before, I really hope that at least one team from each Confederation make it thru to the second round. I really do think, perhaps, only 4 or 5 teams can actually win the Cup.

I would also LOVE to see other predictions by board members as I did it. Just for fun of course.........
              Be careful out there!

Comment

Uruguay-South Africa
                Argentina-South Korea
                England-Slovenia
                Germany-Serbia
                Netherlands-Japan
                Paraguay-Slovakia
                Brazil-Portugal
                Spain-Chile

After that

Uruguay beat South Korea, England beat Serbia
                Germany beat Slovenia, Argentina beat South Africa
                Netherlands beat Slovakia Brazil/Portugal beat Chile
                Paraguay beat Japan, Spain beat Brazil/Portugal

QF1 could thus be
                Netherlands -Brazil or Portugal

QF2 Uruguay-England

QF 3 Germany-Argentina

QF 4 Paraguay/Slovakia - Spain/Brazil/Portugal

Thats as far as I can go -England have the best chance of reaching the semi's since Italia 1990, Argentina must defeat Germany, but its the Brazil-Portugal problem as these are the hardest to predict.

Whichever calculation you use, Spain look unbeatable -their record since their triumph in the Euros is unassailable, their strength in depth is awesome -above all, compared to previous world cups, their morale is firm -unless they get complacent and something outrageous happens...

Morale is the unknown factor generally, it has been a problem for Netherlands and Spain before -there was a book called Bitter Orange which argued that the Dutch are under-achievers at the summit events because there are no mountains in the Netherlands...I think I better stop here...

Off to the bookies tomorrow!
                Dexter Hines

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Jun. 08 2010,22:37) I know Germany is a stretch but hey its WAAAAAAAY boring picking 100% chalk!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE & U S A  U S A!!!!
                  100% chalk?-what does that mean? its not a football term...

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Jun. 08 2010,22:36) North Korea??  How are they getting out of THAT group??  I KNOW you can get a very GOOD price for them to advance.  Its all in good fun.  I mean if all the favs advance, how fucking boring is that??  I would LOVE to see at least one team from each Confederation advance to the 2nd round and at least one nation from outside the traditional Europe/South America powerbase make it into the semis.

Slovenia over USA for that second spot, I wouldnt be shocked thats for sure.

I really want to know JaiDees tips for this tournament!!!!!
                    "dark horses" dont necessarily have to win it or even get to the final stages,they just have to cause a few upsets,win games they should on paper lose,and do significantly better than anyone can realistically predict.
                    I can see them beating ivory coast (sans didier drogba) and getting a draw against Portugal,that would give them 4 points,maybe enough to get them out of the group on goal difference.I'm old enough to remember'66,when N.korea knocked out Italy,and were 3-0 up against Portugal before Eusebio scored 5 goals against them! Who knows?-football can be so unpredictable ,especiallyin the early rounds of the tournament-thats why its the greatest game in the world.

Comment

Chalk is a gambling term which refers to the favorites. If you bet chalk that means you bet the favs, often at VERY short odds.

How old are you Travis Bickle??
                      Be careful out there!

Comment

Forgot to say thanks DexterH thats what I want to see. I am shocked you also has Japan v Paraguay in the round of 16. What would the odds be for that one??

JAIDEE WHERE ARE YOU!! I want your predictions!!!
                        Be careful out there!

Comment

(BlueBallz @ Jun. 09 2010,01:24) Chalk is a gambling term which refers to the favorites.  If you bet chalk that means you bet the favs, often at VERY short odds.  

How old are you Travis Bickle??
                          hahahahha-Im old enough to have seen Manchester City win the 1st division(prem league now)-Now that's old!...mind you 3 weeks later United upstaged them to win the European Cup,the 1st english club to do so.(and I was there also)

You know BB,youre only as old as the ladyboy you feel

Comment

So you are old enough to hvae seen City turn over your heroes form Stretford on a regular basis then ?? You are also old enough to have seen two of your red shited ooops I mean shirted heroes injure two of our all time best players then???

Well, I dont think we should go down that track in this thread. We will have plenty of time to reignite our club passions. I will be happy to give you the last shot and I promise I wont respond! August will come soon enough........
                            Be careful out there!

Comment

England will lose to Brazil on penalties.
                              SHEMALE.CENTER
                              World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

Working...
                              X