X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Starter Edition networking woes

ok, I'm not exactly a beginner, but this problem is seriously getting on my nerves now.

I got myself a new netbook (EEE 1005PE from ASUS), and it got Windows 7 Starter Edition installed.

I can't access my shared folders on NAS stations on my ethernet workgroup.

On the netbook, I changed the workgroup name to the correct one, my account name and password are the same than on the other machines.
    Everything *looks* correct.

I can see the NAS stations, but everytime I try to connect, it tells me "wrong user / pass or no auth"
    (I know user and pass are correct, of course).

Very very frustrating, windows gurus please help!

I also observed 2 things:

1- the public shares work. i.e. folders that everyone in the workgroup is allowed to access, can be access from the netbook too.

2- If I use the user "guest" without a password at the first login, I am allowed to see the shares as folders in the overview. Accessing protected shared folders is not allowed though, and the user/pass won't work although correct.

Comment

Is your network settings set up like this?

Personally I turn off the password protect here and instead just use specific usernames to allow access.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Do you require updated NAS drivers that support Windows 7? Do a search for your router to see if Windows 7 NAS is supported.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Don't know if it will address your specific network issues Manarak, but I found this book on avax.

http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks....22.html
          Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

Jake_Sully: my settings: on, off, on, off, 40/56, off

rxpharm: updated NAS drivers could be an idea. Does this update need to be applied to the switch(router) or the NAS?

Comment

there isn't any update of my NAS manufacturer for w7

P.S. NAS = Network attached storage

Comment

2nd one, set it to on and then try.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

(Jake_Sully @ May 15 2010,23:37) 2nd one, set it to on and then try.
                  tried that - no dice.

also, this setting is for letting others access stuff on the netbook, rather than accessing shares from the netbook.

Comment

my router already uses the last available update (from 2006) :-)
                    (Netgear FWG114P)

but shouldn't ethernet sharing work anyway??

Comment

I don't think its your router. And yes I did mean the sharing setting on your other pc that you wanted to share files from.

Try setting everyone on the network to be able to read files. Does that work or its still a problem? If that works from the netbook, it should narrow things down.

Comment

The shares I want access to aren't on a PC, they are on 2 Network Attached Storage stations.
                        All my PCs (XP and Vista) as well as my media receiver can access the shares no problem.
                        The NAS stations have got own IP addresses and network names, access level is granted depending on windows username.

Comment

I've tried thinking of this and its stumping me.  In the mean time, you could technically do an indirect share by means of

copying file to vista pc -> copying file from vista pc to netbook and see if that works as a temporary fix?

Comment

Well a workaround is not that interesting if that involves copying around 2GB files.
                            I also got a 16GB USB stick for that.

It is just so inconvenient that it doesn't work right away.

Comment

Try setting up a new access for your netbook - new user name and password permissions for the NAS devices.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                              Membership Levels
                              The Rookie Thread
                              New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                              Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Working...
                              X