Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Bumpa STIKKA @ May 22 2010,11:53) Well... 'vacuuming' your laptop probably won't hurt, but the biggest menace is the gunk attached to the cooling fans which have to be cleaned properly.
    Not a good idea to use a vacuum cleaner on the insides of a laptop or a desktop PC for fear of static damaging components.

Better buying a can of compressed air and using that to 'blow' the shit out.
    Meum cerebrum nocet

Comment

But don't forget... if you do use compressed air, you''ll be advised to 'jam' the fans with a tooth pick so they don't over spin and break.

Better to have the job done properly, really. The gunk build up on the 'heatsink' alone will be enough to cause damage.
      SHEMALE.CENTER
      World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

I was referring to use of a vacuum cleaner (high in static electricity) on or near the electronic components, such as motherboard or other circuit cards.

But if you're in Thailand, of course it's "upto you", so go right ahead and use a vacuum cleaner inside, at least your damaged computer will be clean. It's a needless risk.

15 years in the IT industry.. oh well  
        Meum cerebrum nocet

Comment

I agree DC that there is a risk from static but that is much greater to components that are loose  ie. not fitted in a circuit board.
          The risk to a complete board installed in a computer is very low.

The static charge builds up on the vacuum cleaner nozzle.
          If the nozzle does not touch the computer then there is no chance of it earthing out.
          Even if it does touch it will normally be the plastic parts that are touched and they discharge the current to the atmosphere without damage to the electronics.
          PD is in Thailand which has a relatively high humidity so the static charge levels are much lower.
          (If you are really paranoid  -  strip the ends of a piece of copper wire.  Wind a turn round the vacuum nozzle and attach the other end to a part of the computer.  That will ensure that the static charge remains near to zero.)

If you are really, really paranoid think about this.
          Ever had electric shocks off the nylon carpet in your office in the UK?
          Where do they get discharged to?   Your computer when you touch it!

The part I don't like about the air-in-a-can is that it spreads the dust around more thinly rather than removing it.
          OK I agree a vacuum ain't that efficient either.
          Best way is to play around with Q-tips and exotic substances but that is hard work and the effort exceeds the benefits.      

As BS says cleaning the cooling fan blades and heat sinks is usually a  roll up the sleeves and get the shovel job.

RR.
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
          Kahuna

Comment

Working...
          X