Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(stogie bear @ Dec. 30 2007,12:28) ...but on the Asus EEE I use 'FireFox'. Works significantly faster and less prone to crashing.
    Due to inconsistancies in browser renditioning it doesn't display some parts of asiants too well, it breaks the frame, which is not FFs fault really...

FF is better imo, apart from the way some font types are displayed (the anti-aliasing isn't as smooth as it could be), but many sites look crap as the designers only really made everything work properly in IE6+
    I blame MS for deciding on their own interpretaion of standards whilst the rest of the world went a different way.

Roll on the day when all browsers interpret code the same way...

I've made kathylc  

Comment

(Monkey @ Dec. 30 2007,12:54) Roll on the day when all browsers interpret code the same way...

hmmm - that can only happen when there is only one browser. And then we'll be at the mercy of a monopolist
      No honey, no money!!

Comment

(bigmick22 @ Dec. 30 2007,19:02) hmmm - that can only happen when there is only one browser. And then we'll be at the mercy of a monopolist
        nah, that'll only happen when standards become standard

I've made kathylc  

Comment

standards are already there - companies like MS will not adhere to them if it doesn't suit them

when Netscape went away, IE was the only game in town for a long time. It took years to get from IE6 to IE7 - a time, during which, there was effectively 0 innovation in browser design. Thankfully, FF came along and forced MS's hand

As long as there is competition, there will be innovation. But it will almost certainly lead to different browsers rendering and interpreting sites differently. It is up to site developers to test their sites on the more popular browsers (and versions) of the day
          No honey, no money!!

Comment

It is up to site developers to test their sites on the more popular browsers (and versions) of the day...
            Harder than you think!

Comment

I do know - I'm in the IT business myself

you need to be practical and limit the number of browser versions you test for. Easier if you develop internal sites as you can limit what people put on their PCs but not so in the internet where anyone can use any browser they want.

also, there are economic considerations. If you're not a commercial site, you might noi have the time/money to do extensive testing - hence it's easier for many to just focus on IE

Would be interesting to know (assuming you guys check your weblogs) what percentage of ATS readers use IE versus FF (or any others like Safari or Opera or ??).

Actually, maybe not so interesting for many (just geeks like me)
              No honey, no money!!

Comment

(bigmick22 @ Dec. 30 2007,19:47) Would be interesting to know (assuming you guys check your weblogs) what percentage of ATS readers use IE versus FF (or any others like Safari or Opera or ??).
                At a rough guess maybe somewhere around:

IE 89%
                FF 7%
                Opera 3%
                Safari 1%

let me rephrase "...when standards become standard" to;

"...when IE works to the same standards as the others, understands CSS the same, and measures margins properly"

I've made kathylc  

Comment

I always use Firefox-find it easier to usethan IE.
                  seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

BAM would know.

IE compliance is a pain, every minor version behaves differently.
                    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

(Monkey @ Dec. 31 2007,04:33)
                      (bigmick22 @ Dec. 30 2007,19:47) Would be interesting to know (assuming you guys check your weblogs) what percentage of ATS readers use IE versus FF (or any others like Safari or Opera or ??).
                      At a rough guess maybe somewhere around:

IE           89%
                      FF             7%
                      Opera       3%
                      Safari        1%

let me rephrase "...when standards become standard" to;

"...when IE works to the same standards as the others, understands CSS the same, and measures margins properly"

According to these statistics FF is quite popular:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

http://mozillalinks.org/wp....-europe
                      Back in LOS in February  

Comment

(stogie bear @ Dec. 30 2007,20:28)
                        Since I travel to Thailand I never been bereft...
                        Following the Windows XP advice in the manual certainly helps the performance.

As does upgrading the memory, although when you do your warranty will become voided.

On my main computer I use 'IE' for browsing the internet but on the Asus EEE I use 'FireFox'. Works significantly faster and less prone to crashing.
                        Actually ASUS changed the warranty recently, check this link:

http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=9223

"Eee PC News -- Warranty Update

ASUS Computer International (€œASUS€) recently received feedback from one of its valued customers with questions concerning the purpose of a seal stating, €œWarranty Void If Removed€ over the access door to the single SODIMM slot on some models of the ASUS Eee PC. ASUS wishes to assure its customers that merely breaking or removing this kind of seal will not void the ASUS Limited Warranty. Although ASUS recommends that customers use ASUS-approved service facilities and components, ASUS is committed to honoring the terms of its Limited Warranty and making sure that its customers are free to make appropriate hardware and software modifications and upgrades, regardless of whether the service is performed by an approved facility, a non-approved service provider, or by the customers themselves. ASUS will replace the warranty label with a label to warn users that ASUS will not be responsible for the damage caused by improper hardware change. "
                        Back in LOS in February  

Comment

I picked up a EEE back in November in Pattaya and I'm pretty happy with it, but since  have 3 other laptops  (2 work 1 private) I don't use it that much outside my holidays.  I upgraded to 1 gb memory and also installed a 4gb SD card.  It works quite well but I'm not very happy with the battery life, but other than that very nice tp have on a whore mongering holiday

I run Windows XP and usually use Opera as web browser (using the "fit to screen mode")
                          Back in LOS in February  

Comment

(bbb2k2 @ Jan. 01 2008,03:35) According to these statistics FF is quite popular:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

http://mozillalinks.org/wp....-europe
                            I was going to say that I wouldn't be too sure on W3 stats but they said it themselves:

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.
                            I've made kathylc  

Comment

You are probably right about some of the statistics, but Firefox is getting more and more popular. Even my 70 year old father surprised me when he told me he ran Firefox on his new laptop

I have to admit I'm mainly a IE user myself, I really don't know why, I guess it's just a bad habit.
                              Back in LOS in February  

Comment

I'm warming to FireFox...

Comment

Working...
                                X