X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys I need some fast help here:

I looked for cameras of your list in this thread and most of them I was told are old models and not made any longer.
    I shopped Wal Mart, Target and a Local Camera Shop.
    Prices at WMT and TGT ranged from 80 to 280 USD and seemed ok I guess.  However, the local camera store guy talked to me for over and hour, has me all confused on the best camera and they ranged from 240-500 USD for just the ones he showed me.
    I really thought the other 2 stores had crap cameras after that probably due to my first store being the local shop.
    I need your help with any current models and which would be best.  I did use your tips as well as consumers reports but came up empty and have just 4 days before I leave to get a camera.    Thanks

Memory cards seemed to price out at 50-70 USD for a 1GB.  I figure I need 2.  That sound about right?
    You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Chose the one you like and buy it duty free in Hong Kong. you will save a fair bit.
      seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

(SamplerDoc @ Jun. 30 2006,13:08) Guys I need some fast help here:

I looked for cameras of your list in this thread and most of them I was told are old models and not made any longer.
        I shopped Wal Mart, Target and a Local Camera Shop.
        Prices at WMT and TGT ranged from 80 to 280 USD and seemed ok I guess.  However, the local camera store guy talked to me for over and hour, has me all confused on the best camera and they ranged from 240-500 USD for just the ones he showed me.
        I really thought the other 2 stores had crap cameras after that probably due to my first store being the local shop.
        I need your help with any current models and which would be best.  I did use your tips as well as consumers reports but came up empty and have just 4 days before I leave to get a camera.    Thanks

Memory cards seemed to price out at 50-70 USD for a 1GB.  I figure I need 2.  That sound about right?
        All my trip report photo's were taken with a Sony Cybershot 3.2mega pixels. I bought it in Singapore, but my digital movie camera I bought in America, at a chain store electronic goods outlet, it was the cheapest price i had seen for that model anywhere. I would definitely get 2 memory cards & 2 batteries tho'.
        Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

Yep got 2 1GB cards, done. Are you sure I should risk waiting to see whats in HKK?

Comment

Happy Canada Day!!

Comment

(donnnnnny @ Jun. 04 2006,15:08) digital cams are good to a point. they use batterys  like a pig on heat, especially if you use the flash or vidio options.they are poor for action shots. where  SLR'S  are  great on action and dont use up batterys  at the rate of a  digital cam
              My old digital camera a Coolpix 990 did suck batteries dry very fast. But these days the new digital cameras are very good with battery life. My new Canon Power Shot SD400 goes forever on one charge!

I highly recommend you get one of the new Canon Power Shot cameras.

Comment

(Bam @ Jul. 01 2006,12:20) I highly recommend you get one of the new Canon Power Shot cameras.
                I agree... I honestly can't remember the last time I changed/charged batteries.

(Powershot A610)

Dunno why you just don't buy a cheap $100 camera when you get here. These days there's no such thing as a 'bad' camera.

As for getting your pics home - you are being way to cautious. No-one is gonna ask you to see your pics. Put your memory card in your wallet if you feel nervous about its' content.

Comment

I do feel nervous about what I may have on there cause I know I am going to be a naughty boy

Those model cameras they do not have here and prices are insane.  Here is what I narrowed it down to if you know anything about the cameras or prices that would be great, thanks

Camera name                   USD$
                  Nikon S5                            300
                  Nikon P4 VR                       350
                  Cannon SD 700 IS             480
                  Cannon Powershot S80     450
                  Cannon Powershot 620     240
                  Cannon Powershot SD550 320
                  Casio Z60 EX                      250

Comment

(dummy_plug @ May 29 2006,06:20) Just buy a decent 4-5 megapixel camera for pictures, you'll find yourself taking way better (and probably far more) photos on your trip. By now, I think you can find bargain ones for sale on Amazon or your local Fry's or Best Buy for about $100-$150 USD on sale I think. It's a worthwhile investment and you could always use the camera on your 'regular' vacations too haha.
                    I've been buying from B&H Photo (www.bhphoto.com) for years, they have very competitive prices and a large selection. I'm using a Canon 30D (traded in my Rebel XT) now and I'm looking forward to breaking it in on my next Thailand/Cambodia trip. If you're serious about your photos then 5+ megapixels is the way to go. I'd recommend the Canon S2 or S3 IS unit or the Rebel XT.

Comment

(liisawinkler @ Jun. 03 2006,21:06) too much memory like 1 GB or more makes the possibilities of corruption higher...so my photo consultant says

and i mean the photo files being corrupted hehe not corruption of the soul LOL
                      I'm using 1 and 2 Gb cards without this issue, just buy GOOD quality cards like Kingston, SanDisk, or Lexar. Any of the other brands out there and you take the risk of corruption. I buy mine at www.newegg.com

Comment

(SamplerDoc @ Jun. 03 2006,23:20) Perfect Timing...

The current Consumers Report just came out and on the cover an article on Cameras

The question still remains...What is the safest way to get your pics from your trip home safely?
                        Consumers is OK, but they are in the same fight as UL and CE.

I tank mine, I have a 40 Gb and 100Gb tank (www.hyperdrive.com) for dumping all of my CF cards to. I was in Cambodia and filled all of my available CF cards at one temple (Banteay Sri, 17 Gb total, 1419 shots) The 40 Gb tank is very resonable prise wise and works like charm.

Comment

(dummy_plug @ Jun. 03 2006,19:34)
                          (SamplerDoc @ Jun. 03 2006,23:20) Perfect Timing...

The current Consumers Report just came out and on the cover an article on Cameras

The question still remains...What is the safest way to get your pics from your trip home safely?
                          Use an encrypted USB flash drive. Small, portable, and safe. Even if they want to check the contents just tell them you don't have the decryption key and I'm sure they'll just move on, after all, these guys have bigger fish to fry.
                          What i did on my last trip was to get one of those USB multi format card readers and an encrypted USB memory stick. Chose PCs that had easy access to USB slots (most of them od now, on the front panel) and transfer the photos from the camera's memory card to the memory stick.
                          It was not su much as for "getting the pictures out" as efor emptying the camra's memory for the next round of photos... Especially if the lb wanted to see the photos in the camera...
                          And, yes, having a backup battery is sound advice. Even if they are long lasting, they seem to conk out at the most horrible moments (to me anyway).

Comment

(SamplerDoc @ Jul. 02 2006,03:38) I do feel nervous about what I may have on there cause I know I am going to be a naughty boy

Those model cameras they do not have here and prices are insane.  Here is what I narrowed it down to if you know anything about the cameras or prices that would be great, thanks

Camera name                   USD$
                            Nikon S5                            300
                            Nikon P4 VR                       350
                            Cannon SD 700 IS             480
                            Cannon Powershot S80     450
                            Cannon Powershot 620     240
                            Cannon Powershot SD550 320
                            Casio Z60 EX                      250
                            Thoughts on the cameras?

Comment

I would go for one of the Canon's, and would still buy it at Hong Kong duty free shop.
                              you can email them for prices, just to check:
                              http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/s...g_telecom.html
                              seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Hi! I'm Penny from Penang...anybody coming to Penang? I'm a ladyboy looking for fun in Penang...
                                Penny Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X