X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm off to Hong Kong for 3 days!

I've got to do a visa run so I'm gonna combine it with a trip for first time flyer, Olay and me and Socrates999 and HIS first time flyer chum, Jane!

Just want to have a look around the city, nothing fancy...

Would appreciate any pointers, especially hotels and neat places to visit.

I'd do a search, but frankly the search engine sucks and I'm too damn lazy... not to mention I want to wind up RXPharm.

The trip will start on about the 7th or 8th of May for probably 2 nights. If anyone is there at that time and would like to meet up, let us know.

Seriously though, if anyone can help us out, that would be great.

Cheers,

Stogie

Don't let the forum chieftan know you are too lazy to use the search engine, he gets cranky very quickly.

I stayed in a nice clean hotel about two steps away from the Jordan subway station.  Good location and easy to get there from the airport by bus.  English at Reception was not that good when I asked for directions to get the bus back out to the airport.  Not cheap but not expensive.

Shamrock Hotel
    223 Nathan Road
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    Tel: 0011 852 2735 2271
    Fax: 0011 852 2736 7354
    URL: www.shamrockhotel.com.hk
    E-mail: [email protected]  

Hong Kong was impressive place and I think the best airport I have seen.  But I also saw a young lady push a middle aged lady away from the subway train seat upon boarding the train & felt this summed the place reasonably well.

Cheers

Comment

One place I really enjoyed visiting was "Ocean Park"  a nice way to spend a day out without the Shopping aspect.
             Plenty of Amusement rides, a Dolphin show and Auarium with Sharks etc .

* Address: Ocean Park, Abeerdeen, Hong Kong Island
         * Tel: +852 2580 9092
         * Hours: 10am- 6pm, or 10am - 11pm in summer
         * Transport: Bus 629 from Admirality MTR
         * Price: Adult $25. Child $12

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you !

Comment

Anyone been to Disneyland in HK?

Lantau island has an impressively large Buddha Stogie

Night market in Mongkok

Good food everywhere

2 Bar areas are 1. Wanchai (also has some LB hookers on the street ) and 2. la Kwai Fong - which I prefer

Don't bother with the floating restaurants - they're crap
        No honey, no money!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips fellas... Anyone been on the massive commuter escalator? That sounds cool... The Mid Levels escalator is actually a series of covered escalators and moving sidewalks about a half-mile long. It is the longest outdoor escalator in the world.

Now THAT is the kind of stuff I want to do!  
          Attached Files

Comment

I forgot about that

amusing first time and then you get used to it
            No honey, no money!!

Comment

Tram to the peak is great, but make sure you go on a clear day. If you can't see the peak from the base there is no point taking the Tram. If you do go, sit on the right side (at least I think the right side has the better view - its been awhile)

Hong Kong Park is a fun walk

The escalator runs DOWN in the morning, not that I have to worry about you getting there before 11am.

Have the girls bring sneakers/walking shoes....HK is NOT the place for heels.

Spend one night in Lan Kwai Fong

I doubt you have the time, but you could go to Macau for the day via Hydrofoil.

And just to repeat whats been said, the night market (temple street?) is fun, shopping in Mongkok at night is fun, and floating market/aberdeen is a waste of time. (Never been to Ocean Park, maybe that would be fun)

I send Socrates a list of hotels, but they are all new to me. The place I used to stay at has been getting bad reviews lately.

AND GO TO DISNEYLAND
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

The Subway (MTR) works great and is cheap and clean

Stay in Central rather than Kowloon.

If you want to do it really cheap (but the rooms are clean), the chain of "knocking shops" all of which call themselves "Hotel Victoria" (there is one at 209 Lockhart Road) are good value - but look on the Agoda Web-site - they usually have great rates.

I can give you a list of good restaurants if you want them (but you won't want them) but you'll find British-type Pubs (and some Thai restaurants) on Lockhart Road to the right of the Lockhart Road Exit of the Wanchai MTR stop.

Also, good Aussie Steaks and Italian food in restaurants around Lan Kwai Fong  (where there is great atmosphere in the evening)  in  the Central District, near the  MTR: Central stop.

There are no bargains in electronics or clothing. (no bargains in anything).

If you decide to play (and you have no need to do that, given where you usually live and the fact that you are bringing your own companions) see my recent note on what is available in Hong Kong.

Comment

Cameras are a tad cheaper than in Thailand, but buy from a big store like Fortress not a small place...if you care

And I prefer staying in Kowloon to Central or LKF.....but thats me
                  "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I always stay in theat The Wharney Hotel at Wanchai, Hong Kong side.

for the camera
                    The best views of Hong Kong cityscape are from the peninsular at Kowloon side...

Comment

I hear the Penninsula is pretty good, and failing that, The mandarin oriental is pretty good.

I hear they have a Dim Sum restaurant with 3 michelin stars.

Does the Penninsular still run a fleet of Rolls' for customer use!!
                      seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

I had dinner at the Peninsula - nice view. Worth a look
                        No honey, no money!!

Comment

Mostly chinese, sgp and Malay p4p4 in Hk.
                          "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

If you are on the Kowloon side you must visit the Gents Lavatory on the top floor of the Penninsula at night for a spectacular view

People sneak GGs in there so an LB or two will be possible.

Comment

Have dinner one night at Jimmy's Kitchen at the bottom of Wyndham Street in Central, then stroll on up to Lan Kwai Fong to take in the full panorama of expat nightlife in Hong Kong. Jimmy's is a treasure. It really hasn't changed since World War II. Great martinis, Brit style curies, and probably the last place in the world to serve both Beef Wellington and Baked Alaska.

Comment

Working...
                              X