Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Chip In 2 Get PC Juke Box @ Guess?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(srb @ Jul. 15 2008,19:14)  I think thats now the third time I've read about how long you've been in the F&B industry bkkldby and how much you know how the Thai working mind ticks! Hope you'll forgive me for saying it - its not meant as anything other than feedback - but you dont need to say it, it just sounds like a pissing contest   . You're coming over as a bit of a control freak, and Im sure you don't mean to; the topic area is your comfort zone.

Its mine too, probably much moreso than yours, but I'm going to add my comments where I think they might be helpful without using a hammer to nail it home...people can take it or leave it. I just enjoy contributing (or have done so far with my 4 posts hehe)

You obviously have a wealth of experience both in your field and in Thailand...as a manager you must know how to get people on your side by skinning the cat in other ways so as not to be misunderstood
    your comment is well taken.

i have found on forums, where folks do not know each other personally, it takes a while for them to know a poster and what his creds may or may not be. i only offer that clarification in an attempt to head off anyone thinking i am just spouting away, when in fact, it is one of the only areas that i have a solid background in.

i also find that many folks enter into a thread once it is well underway and they do not back track and review the entire thing. thus my repetitiveness.

i just do not want anyone thinking i am simply bashing the Thais or just taking a piss, like so many do. i would not have stayed here for close to two decades if that were the case.

as far as being a control freak, not at all, i just care about the service industry. when i was in training years ago my mentor, an Austrian, impressed upon me the importance of our profession's need to feel as if we are in a fraternity, and that we must do all we can to promote the advancement of that group and our industry. that is where my incessant goings stem from. i really do feel bad when i see things a miss in a place, and i also feel it reflects on all establishments and all those who work within my profession. so it is an attempt to improve myself, through observation, and the lot as a whole.

as one Swiss hotelier puts it, it is the SOS factor, Spirit of Service, that really matters above all else.

Comment

(bkkldby @ Jul. 15 2008,20:33) your comment is well taken.
      Thanks, appreciate that. I know what you mean about my control freak point, which I think came from your precision responses and desire not to be knocked by people. I do see that here sometimes (and at the risk of repeating myself I havent been here long so it's newbie stuff only from me), but decided to just be myself...others can be pedantic and choose to read things as they please if they like, I can take it. Problem is, adopt the '(please) dont mess with me I don't respond well to it' stance too harshly and that's exactly what happens; jokes and friendly criticism become misinterpreted. Anyway, dont want to sound preachy - I reckon that when you're out relaxing you'd be great company for tales and education, having read your other posts.

On the 'seeing things amiss' point, christ do I empathise. Actually working in these kinds of businesses has almost spoilt my enjoyment of things socially in that environment. I find myself in work mode, looking for the broken light, the staff scams, the inconsistent service (a personal bug-bear) or trying to work out the newest scheme for drug dealers plying their trade. Or picking up empty bottles and taking them to the bar showing solidarity to staff - and removing potential weapons. Sad bastard I am!

Comment

I think it is a refreshing idea!

Having a jukebox there where you can choose the song you wanna hear or the possibility you can upload it by CD or memory stick, whatever, limited by one song per hour per person.

Those people that suggest playing the Stones or whatever old fashion music, you can do that back home!

In the Guess bar they should play music that is populair at this moment.

Have some theme days where you play different kinds of music for one hour, ore something like that.

You can play your favourite music at home!

Please play the music the girls like at Guess bar.

I like to see them dance.
        Only dead fish go with the flow.

Comment

Didn't someone once say:
          you can please some of the people some of the time.........................

Comment

(mardhi @ Jul. 15 2008,06:39) The crux of this issue is that Jay takes any critisism very personally. Your on the right page - but SHE needs to change the bar from suggestions - not the other way around. The sentiment is spot on, but its not a Thai way to make it happen, and perhaps more importantly to KEEP it happening. Just bringing in a CD works wonders except almost every CD has no name written on it - so they see maybe 200 blanc CD's and then how do you guess which one is it that has those good tunes on it.

I understand where your coming from - but unfortunately, your solution while being well meant is not going to achieve the result you desire.

Cheers
            mardhi
            This would be taken by the owner as the customers trying to run the bar, and I think she would tell you to fuck off.

As soon as a customer contributes to something, they will think they have a right to say how it is used.
            Mister Arse

Comment

My attempt to summarize the problem:-

The main complaint is that at times the music is too loud.
              The other lesser complaint is that there is not enough variation in what's played.

Like Swarej said 'you can please some of the people some of the time' - at the moment it's more like you can annoy most of the people most of the time.

Would I chip in for a juke box? No - because I think it's adding another layer to the problem not fixing it.

RR.
              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
              Kahuna

Comment

Music is fine with me , Slower and Softer earlier in the evening and then Louder and more Lively later in the evening what exactly is wrong with that ??

Added Bonus no Thai Music and very little Hip-Hop too

Comment

why have any music?

Comment

well, i was in and out of Guess bar a lot this weekend. most of the time it was in the early part of the day being the weekend and the bar opening at 4 pm. on Sunday i was there from about 10 to 12:45, and the place was very 'happening'.

i am happy to say that each time the music was at a very good volume and it was something that most folks were either tapping their foot to, dancing and cavorting to, or lip-syncing along with. so i would gather it was OK for most concerned.

on Saturday i arrived before the door was open, K. Gong arrived and got me a beer. and then he put on some great cd left by a punter. it was a mix of Clapton and other older  UK rockers like tull, cocker, etc. i never prompted him to do so.

when i was ready to leave, i went to the bar, thanked him for the good tunes and then gave him a good tip. it was the first time i have seen him smile when i have addressed him ABOUT ANYTHING and he seemed quite pleased. he had a look on his face that may infer he is getting the idea.

i have been tempted to bring in a disc, but anytime i have ever done that anywhere, it gets branded as my music and it is all i hear when i go back to these places, and thus it gets boring fast.

all i ever wanted, and they seem to now afford everyone, is less decibels and variety.

so, i say to jay or whoever has managed to achieve this small feat, thanks.( i know it was not this thread that did it, i am a realist whether you guys may think so or not.
                    )

Comment

(monkeyman @ Jul. 17 2008,00:38) Added Bonus no Thai Music and very little Hip-Hop too  
                      i will agree on the hip-hop thing (how jazz, r & b and the blues ever got to be hijacked to that point, nobody knows       ) , but there is some good Thai music out, always has been. you just need to cut the wheat from the chaff, same as any genre.

lo-so
                      pru
                      smile buffalo
                      modern dog
                      parn
                      forth
                      tata
                      nat
                      bird

etc.    

Comment

Working...