Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I still lived in the Big Mango, my company covered us with very good but very expensive international health care.

Now I pay for my own down here in Singapore, but the rate sand terms are the same no matter where you live in SE Asia for most of these international insurers.

You can locally check out Bupa and AXA. Reasoably priced, but limited cover as compared to both these companies international versions. So check Bup Int'l as well, Then there are others such as William Russell, InterGlobal, Allianz, Good Health and ALC Healtcare. These aint cheap my any means, but are pretty comperhensive.

Some exclude pre-existing conditions, some make you wait 2 years to make a claim for a pre-exisiting condition, and some dont ask much.

If you can get a group together, you can get good discounts as well as waiving the exclusion of pre-exisiting conditions.

There are at least 10 decent companies out there to choose from for international level health care. Just google 'internatioanl health insurance' and you'll find sites with info.

Comment

My Cobra (temporary American health insurance) is running out.

Have to decide whether to buy insurance in Thailand that will cover me elsewhere or buy insurance in the USA that will cover me in Thailand.

Has anyone used their USA coverage for health care bills in Thailand?
      Full coverage? hassle free?

Comment

I studied that question when doing my budget for Thailand.

I thought about taking one of these expat packages, but there was a lot of fine print to read, and they ranted endlessly about one thing being 70%, the other 50%, then special conditions with them paying full if the doctor was-left handed, or up to 15.000 baht a day, or up to 22.000 if the patient's condition is listed in table B... etc. endless stuff which made objective assessment impossible.

Since I have a family to protect, I then decided to seek 100% coverage.

I could benefit from wordwide coverage of 100% of expenses by several companies, but the best and cheapest coverage is coming from french insurance. It not only covers the treatment in Thailand, but also includes medical transport to France and the cure there, as well as costs for glasses and dental work except orthodontics and prothetics.

That will cost about 3k EUR per year for my family of 4 (i.e. about 144.000 baht).

Comment

(azza33 @ Jun. 27 2008,03:04)
          (azza33 @ Jun. 26 2008,03:55) This is directed at all the lads living in  

Just wondered do you guys all take out private health cover in   LOS given most of you wouldn't have PR?

And secondly, what are the costs each year for those that take it out?

guys this is not and ambiguous question...

It's for those Living in Thailand, as stated at the beginning, its not directed at travel insurance.

And for those who have decided to live in Thailand, that don't have PR (permanent residency of Thailand, thus not covered by any possible Thailand free public hospital service) what is the going rate for private health cover over there? for a reasonable level of care, not cheap charlie stuff...    
          Anybody with a work permit actually receives a very comprehensive health care coverage - the only down side is that it is restricted to certain hospitals - its great in major cities but appalling in suburban areas.

Its basically an equivalent of a national heath service - but as I say, its restricted to a key hospital near where you live or work (you choose). You can alter it but then you pay first then claim it back.

I know of a guy who have had brain surgery done under this scheme in an emergency and the costs exceeded 1,000,000b all of which was paid by the Thai government. The system works, but you have to be very selective where you live and where you choose to be treated. BKK is way way better than anywhere else in this regard.

By the way, I dont actually use it myself even though I have the coverage as part of my work permit - I go private.

Cheers
          mardhi

Comment

In regards to coverage outside Thailand you need to read the fine print very carefully and ask for options.
            My base policy had limited coverage outside Thailand and did not cover me in my home country.
            Since my Home country is USA aka The Land of The Uninsured , I had to get a special coverage rider to cover me for upto 28 days/year in USA. The raised my cost by about 25%
            "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Just read the thread- I've had BUPA Thailand for just under 2 years, covers me the rest of the world as well, other than the US. Costs me just over B1k a month and I'm covered for accidents as a MC taxi passenger as well which could be handy. Got a 10% no claims refund this year which was nice. I expect it will go up a fair bt when I hit 50 though
              I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

(manarak @ Jun. 20 2009,09:22) but the best and cheapest coverage is coming from french insurance.
                AXA? Or some other company?

Comment

It is an insurance made of several polices, AXA is one of them, another is from "CAMAT", and there are a couple more which I don't remember.

Comment

I have had NZI for 4 years now and found it excellent.
                    At 53 it costs 63,000 a year but my last stay in BKP was 160,00 following a motorbike accident when hit from behind when I was waiting at traffic lights!!
                    Initial 10,000 deposit whilst my cover was checked out returned.
                    It seems a lot but some friends have had BUPA at 40,000 then had to stump up loads of cash to top up.
                    With NZI everything is covered to loads of mon y
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X