X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed Money to Move to the LOS

Hi all, What is the cost to start a new life in the LOS? I noticed that some BM are in their mid 40's early 50's so you have some good years ahead. I'm asking what will sustain a guy to live ok not rich,  go shagging weekly ,see sites or if possible shack up an find a good lb gf to share some quality years together an provide decent care . I have read many recommend renting v Buying..  Also can you marry you LB their an have a legal marriage? Thanks all!

About 1500 USD/mo.

Rent at least for a year.

Good luck!

Comment

We've had this before but in light of new 'market conditions' it's probably a good idea to get fresh perspectives...

"What is the cost to start a new life in the LOS?"

How long is a piece of string?

It depends on where you want to live, what you want to do, what you eat and... blah de blah de blah...

I can live in great comfort for about 25,000 baht a month but I have all my big ticket items all paid for, I don't go out and I have a low maintenance girlfriend.

Many people can live a comfortable life on 15,000 a month because in the boonies rent and food is pretty much nothing and they wash their clothes by hand, etc...

A lot of people reading this will find it impossible to feel any sense of well being on less than 150,000 a month. (70K rent, beer and hookers at 5,000 a night, a car, flights home, etc...)

So - what are YOUR expectations?

You can start off by telling us where you want to live...

Chiang Mai is very cheap, but Pattaya is more expensive... Bangkok is monstrously expensive compared to Pattaya.. but needn't be...

So many variables...

Comment

Well Stogie, a good start would be to learn more about the low maintenance gf issue - not yrs in part. but in general because I think that is the most unknown factor in the equation ;-)

25K in BKK seems definitely a good bargain.

As I am also considering spending some more time down in the LOS after finishing my contract up here, I am following all this info with great interest.

Met some great and very helpful BMs in Pattaya the last few times (PD and Kahuna in part.). I won't be a Cheap Charlie but def have to watch the budget as I'm in my early 50ies and have to make the savings from the good days last ... all depends how many years are still ahead of course ...

Cheers
        CM

Comment

The girlfriend part of the equation is something you can't 'bone up on' and account for.  

Everything else you can budget to and account for, but the girlfriend will come later.

Your partner will NOT be someone you met in a bar and WILL be degreed and working. There are tens of thousands in this category so there's no need to look for love in The Shitpits.

Rent a house, don't buy. Travel is cheap and plentiful so location isn't important.

Take into account that your 'honeymoon' in Thailand will be the most expensive time you are here. After that it's routine, you have learned the lessons and hopefully met your live in partner.

Rent can be 5,000 a month but if your electric is 50 baht a unit then you won't have much of a bargain. Buying in Thailand is just bad economics.

Ball park figures...

Bangkok in comfort then between 70K and 120K a month. (I manage on a lot less!)

Pattaya in comfort then between 40K and 80K a month.

If you like Thai street food and want to ween yourself at least partially off western grub then knock 20% off the above figures.

If you don't drink (or only occasionally drink or drink at home only) then knock another 15% off the above figures.

If you want to have a car then add 25% to the above figures.

If you want to go out three times a week and come home with company then add 30% to the above figures.

If you want to pay it safe and include medical insurance and also want to include flights home once a year then add 10% to the above figures.

Comment

What is it like driving their? Would you recommend buying a Car?

Comment

Thanks for the input. So many variables to consider. Please highlight your life experiences there. I know having a beautiful LB would be the highlight.

Comment

Would you recommend buying a Car?
                There are many scenarios
                where one will be satisfied without
                owning a car.

A good answer, will need a detailed scenario in the original question.

What is it like driving their?
                Driving is on "the left side of the road".

If there is a traffic accident, the foreigner will get the blame.

I would not dream of driving a car in Thailand,
                without at least 100,000 baht,
                in liquid funds,
                to take care of others alleged personal injuries,
                material damage etc,
                in the event of serious traffic related charges/offenses.

The potential headaches for a non-native driver,
                are of another dimension in Thailand,
                compared to the western world, IMO.
                "I don´t know what to do. Losing sleep. Kicked from a chatroom on a board about worshipping young transsexual prostitutes.
                I´ve my fair share of disapointments and hardtimes in my life, but this....."

Comment

You gotta be really careful as a newbie when drooling over an old hand talking about how cheap Thailand is because

(1) old hands are crafty and have been around long enough to drift into many good, hard to find deals
                  (2) their abode and standard of living is in some ways a notch down from the average person in the west as they have adapted to a bit more Thai style in some ways. They won't notice the gaps, but you will.

25K for instance will exclude you from most good condos (think 4 or more stars) by the trains in Bangkok. And a newbie could easily exceed that figure just for a month of P4P. Many Thai people comfortably live in Bangok on 10K, but could you handle a diet of greasy bowls of noodles, riding through traffic jams in polluted streets in an open air bus, and living in a run down plywood room with no A/C? Be realistic. Now onto driving...

The potential headaches for a non-native driver, are of another dimension in Thailand
                  I agree and besides public transport is very good almost everywhere in Thailand. Avoid owning a vehicle at all costs.

If there is a traffic accident, the foreigner will get the blame.
                  That is a bit jaded you know. Sure it can happen, but on the other hand I know two foreigners who had fender benders where the police were not just neutral, but actually took their side and the foreigners were totally cleared. And so far I have always been dealt with fairly by the police.

I would not dream of driving a car in Thailand, without at least 100,000 baht, in liquid funds, to take care of others alleged personal injuries, material damage etc,
                  True enough, but I wouldn't dream of driving in the west without a million USD or more in insurance, something I wouldn't need in Thailand.

Comment

Hi all, What is the cost to start a new life in the LOS?
                    You are advised to take a low cost start:

First, take a holiday in Thailand.
                    And see if it makes sense,
                    to try turning your present fantasy
                    into somewhat of a reality.

And if nothing else, say hello to your wife and kids
                    from me.
                    "I don´t know what to do. Losing sleep. Kicked from a chatroom on a board about worshipping young transsexual prostitutes.

Comment

(1hotholder @ Mar. 10 2009,03:53) Would you recommend buying a Car?
                      Most new residents should avoid making new financial commitments. That means renting in an area where you don't need a car.

As far as motobikes, if you're in a busy area like Pattaya, use a motobike only if you ride a motorcycle in your home country. My guess, although I've never been there, is that having a motobike in a place like Hua Hin is probably safe enough. But even with motobikes, rent before you buy.

Comment

There are times when having your own car at your disposal is extremely useful. (I had a car when I first arrived here.)

Those trips to Pattaya, for example... The weekly shopping...

But it's an extremely expensive and unnecessary luxury here wherever you live.

Comment

I disagree about notowning a car at all costs- I live in phuket and it's a handy thing to have. Chiang mai return in fuel at the moment is just under B4000 each way. Once you are out of Bkk it's rare to hit a jam. Fully comp insurance and bail bond is a must though. if you have an 'adequate' public transport system like Bkk or Patts you can manage without wheels though. Personaly I would NEVER have a motorbike- just asking for gravel rash! Average budget for peeps in Phuket at the moment is B50-75k per month- err on the higher side and anything left over is a bonus. I manage on less but again have all the 'infrastructure purchases made now.
                          I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

I'm saying that a "new first time resident" not buy a car and instead get his feet wet in an area where he can walk and use public transport.

For me, part of the freedom of moving to the LOS is not being burdened down with lots of stuff.

Buying a car that you may not need in a few months just seems like a big hassle to me. YMMV.

Comment

... bail bond  ...
                              Ivor Biggun,
                              please explain about the bail bond in reference to driving:

Do you pay a monthly premium, so that you are covered
                              in the event bail is set (up to a certain amount)?

If so, do insurance agents sell this product in Thailand?

Comment

Working...
                              X