X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an iPhone 3GS in Amazing Thailand

The iPhone 3GS went on sale today for pre-order, pick it up in 3 weeks.
    I check out the website for details, all in Thai, click on the English link and get to a page where it says "iPhone 3GS" in English everything else in Thai.

Decide to head over to the nearby True store to register. Get there and ask the attractive girl at the counter to register me for the iPhone, 'Mai Dai' . She can't register me, the home office never sent her the codes to access the employee website. She then suggests I register on the Internet. I ask if I can use the computer, she says 50 Baht, one hour -- this is a True Internet Cafe.

I then go to another counter to pay and they say 'Mai Dai', we are out of 1 hour cards. "Would you like a 20 minute card for 20 Baht ?". Grrr I would have gotten that in the first place if I had known.

Log into the computer, the password is '00OO00O0O', eventually I figure out which are zeros and which are Ohs. I am then asked to register my name and passport number as part of the Thai requirement that all internet access be logged.
    "Jose Cuervo","007" and I am in

immediately I am brought to the True page to sign up for an iPhone 3G (not 3GS), a few clicks and I find the 3GS link. Click on 'order now' and get a big Red
    "SSL Certificate Expired" Warning, couple of clicks in firefox to tell it to accept the certificate anyway (mind you, this is True's online store, on the day they start selling the iPhone 3GS and they let the certificate expire !)

Finally I get to the registration page, click on English. Start to fill out a form
    Identification: [x]Thai Id [ ]Passport
    click 'Passport' and it immediately unclicks itself and 'Thai ID' remains selected. Try and enter my passport number, and its not accepted - must be 13 digits.

I call the girl over who I talked to in the beginning and say I can't sign in. She says no problem I got the internal registration system working 10 minutes ago. Grrrrr, but stay silent-she is really cute.

Head back over to her desk and start the registration, its slow going, I'm the first person to have registered here. Finally its done, I pay the deposit, tell her to sign me up for plan 'A' (there are 4 plans plus buying the phone outright - the plans are insanely confusing).

She say "ohh, this is to buy the phone outright. We are not accepting pre-orders for people planning on using the phone with a plan." I explain that that is not what heard, she calls someone. Gives me a charming I dunno look (she is getting more and more attractive, must be the color in her cheeks coming out from dealing with Farang).

I ask for my deposit back, and give her my number to call me when she straightens things out.

Get back home, get a call - "you, can register for phone now with plan"

Guess I'll go back this evening and see what more can happen.......
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

I bought an iPhone from MBK 18 months ago.....had problems with it ever since (screen freeze,refuses to turn on/off etc...). Are thse phones defective "seconds" Wasn't much of a saving on UK price as it turned out,and there's no warrenty in place,so there was a feeling of "false economy". In future,I'll buy in Europe and know defective goods will be replaced as and when. Thai "customer service" isn't anything to rely on....

Comment

What I am (hopefully) getting is a legit iPhone 3GS from True, who is Apple's authorized dealer for Thailand. I decided to wait and get a legit one, rather than risk MBK.

Normally the iPhones in MBK aren't seconds, just gray market, where someone buys in country A and sells in country B. I did that myself, got 2 first gen iPhones in USA and then sold them in Thailand for a quick 6000 Baht profit.

Comment

Think I'll stick with the B1900 Nokia- far simpler!!!
        I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

Part Two

Went back around 5pm, same cute girl was there. Asks me to wait 5 minutes while she handles another customer. Then when its my turn she says why don't you do this on the internet, I explain that it will not accept my passport number. She says 'Oh' and then proceeds to process my order and is done in 2 minutes. That's it all done, come back on the 28th to pick it up.

I leave a happy, but confused man. Then it starts to rain.

to be continued on Aug 28th.....

Comment

How much?

Comment

I'm getting plan A and put down a 2200 Baht down payment. I brought over my True Satellite TV receipt to prove I was a TrueVision user.
              It ain't cheap buts it not a bad deal when you factor in unlimited usage, and access to True WiFi which covers a lot of Bangkok.

http://www.truemove.com/iphone/eng/price_plan.htm

( looks like they got the English working now, and renewed the SSL certificate )
              Attached Files

Comment

Do you know how much it is without a plan? 28500 thb is still with a plan, right?

600 baht per month is alot cheaper than here, but here,i think you get more minutes. Cheapest monthly is about 2000 baht.

In europe the 3gs sold out same day it was released and now its a 3 weeks wait. The new plans are plain thievery and to buy without a plan is about 1000 euro.
                This wasn´t the case with 2g and 3g,(payed 500 euros for the 3g), i don´t know if it´s Apple fucking over the costumers this time or if it´s the companies selling it.
                "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

They are selling out everywhere, I heard Thailand's initial shipment is only 1000 units,and I want to get one of those !

The plan ain't bad...2500 Baht up front, then 1700 Baht/month for 2 years (600 B/month after 2yr)
                  unlimited data (including their WiFi network - which is big), 300 min, 300 sms.

Thats better than At&T in USA which is $200 upfront and $100/month for unlimited.

Of course, True hasn't finished their 3G network yet, oops, but they say parts of Bangkok and Phuket are covered.

Comment

damn, that´s almost the identical plan/cost as here. The 3g network here is alot better than the US and Asia though.
                    Do you know the price without any plan? Do they even sell it like that?
                    "I can see it in the eyes.....they get hollow and soulless a year or 2 after the Op .... I coined the term ''shark eyes'' to describe that look"

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

(Snick @ Aug. 05 2009,19:51) ... Of course, True hasn't finished their 3G network yet, oops, but they say parts of Bangkok and Phuket are covered.
                      You'd think that the fucked up ordering would be the worst bit, but ..... NOOOOO.

I think there's a total of about 177 sq. meters with 3GS coverage in BKK. Basically 23 sq meters on Silom, 27 sq meters at True offices on the edge of town and the rest is divided up amongst the 2nd floors of all the Starbucks.
                      "The Ladyboy Collection- start yours today!"

Comment

sev7en-did you even look at the image I posted ?
                        16gb 24,500; 32gb 28,500

Comment

Yes, i did, but assumed that would still somehow be for True costumers. Probably locked to True with refill sim.
                          That´s cheap. Half price compared to Europe.

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

ive unlocked a iphone on 3.0 software to give to girlfriend when i get there.
                            can i buy a 3g sim from true which will allow her internet access on a pay as you go tariff?

steviep

Comment

(parada @ Aug. 05 2009,23:27) ive unlocked a iphone on 3.0 software to give to girlfriend when i get there.
                              can i buy a 3g sim from true which will allow her internet access on a pay as you go tariff?

steviep
                              I doubt that. These unlocked phones tend to be a pain sooner or later.

Jaidee 2009

The other white meat

Comment

Working...
                              X