Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding an apartment & teaching in BKK

Hi guys,
    As you have probably read, I'm moving to Bangkok on September 12th but I have read alot of the comments about living in BKK and I was really curious how some of you went about looking for an apartment in BKK. Especially of interest is how stogie bear and Ozzie did it when they made the big move.

Now I can get around BKK like any other tourist, but I have no idea about the various sections of the city as I always stay around Nana at the Swiss Park Hotel (my home away from home).

I know it partially depends too on where I'll be working, but that won't be decided until I get my butt to BKK and find the job...haha. But it is fair to say if I'm by the Skytrain, I'll be fine for the most part. I did the search on here already so no comments from the peanut gallery...haha and did the search on Gooogle, but even with Google, I don't know what is legit and what isn't.
    This when I thought "I look at what both Stogie bear and Ozzie say with a lot of legitimacy, so who would be best to ask but them?" So guys (not just Stogie and Ozzie either), lets hear how you did it.....haha.

My initial plan is to arrive in BKK on Sept. 12th for a couple days and then head to Surin for a week to get our house wired and then to Pattaya for another 5 days or so, then go back to BKK for 3 days to find "the new apartment/condo". I don't want to spend a fortune.....I just want a 1 bedroom furnished thats clean. One positive thing with my being a newbie with regards to moving to LOS.....I have a Thai GF, so the speaking issues won't be an issue........I HOPE ANYWAY!....

Thanks guys.....I know you will all have some comments and GREAT advice.
    Nhscotsman

NHScotsman, there are a couple of threads that cover some information about renting - you will have to do a bit of reading in Ozzie's thread as it covers more than apt rentals.

Moving to Bangkok (Ozzie)

iso an artist's loft in the LOS

Hope these help.

Ozzie may have more comments now he has been in LOS for a while, and some others may be able to comment as well.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Rule one: Get the job BEFORE the apartment!

Comment

My two cents worth:

Avoid the expat oriented real estate agents. Obviously you'll be shown falang apartments with falang prices (30,000 - 80,000 baht)

I found a nice clean furnished studio in the Victory monument area (10,000 baht/month) by just walking around looking for 'for rent' signs on buildings. This is a good strategy because you know right away if the building is in a good area (ie. you are standing there arent you?), you know that there is a vacancy, and you can often have a chat to the building manager and be shown the apartment.

Bring the thai girlfriend along...chances are the building manager speaks no english.

Comment

Your Thai GF will be more astute at finding low-cost places than any of us.

And I agree with Stogie, don't lock in a place for a long-time until you get the job. Travel time can be a big issue here, and travel time is not related to distance. Even if you're on the skytrain, and you have a 1km stretch to go after the sky train to some side street, that can be trouble.

Why not a serviced apt until u get a job? They can be rented for days, weeks, or months.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Aug. 08 2007,22:59) Your Thai GF will be more astute at finding low-cost places than any of us.

And I agree with Stogie, don't lock in a place for a long-time until you get the job. Travel time can be a big issue here, and travel time is not related to distance. Even if you're on the skytrain, and you have a 1km stretch to go after the sky train to some side street, that can be trouble.

Why not a serviced apt until u get a job? They can be rented for days, weeks, or months.
            I agree 100% but can anyone suggest a decent service apartment until I get the job? I hate to stay at a hotel till I find a job, which I suspect won't be that big of a deal.

Thanks so much,
            Nhscotsman

Comment

What location do you want and what facilities do you need? Also what sort of price range are we talking about?

Comment

(nhscotsman @ Aug. 09 2007,02:29)
                (ziggystardust @ Aug. 08 2007,22:59) Your Thai GF will be more astute at finding low-cost places than any of us.

I agree 100% but can anyone suggest a decent service apartment until I get the job? I hate to stay at a hotel till I find a job, which I suspect won't be that big of a deal.

Thanks so much,
                Nhscotsman
                Is there something that leads you to think your 'skills' are in such demand that you can land a job 'without to much of a deal' ? Just curious, but I know heaps of guys who had similar ideas and none of them ended up with a job in Thailand.

It is NOT easy to get a good job in Thailand with a salary that you would be satisfied with.

By the way, I assume, you already have a 'B' visa sorted out before you leave your country, otherwise, you will be jumping through hoops and leaving the country (at your expense in most cases) to go and get one.

Cheers
                Mardhi

Comment

(mardhi @ Aug. 09 2007,04:59)

Thanks so much,
                  Nhscotsman
                  Is there something that leads you to think your 'skills' are in such demand that you can land a job 'without to much of a deal' ? Just curious, but I know heaps of guys who had similar ideas and none of them ended up with a job in Thailand.

It is NOT easy to get a good job in Thailand with a salary that you would be satisfied with.

By the way, I assume, you already have a 'B' visa sorted out before you leave your country, otherwise, you will be jumping through hoops and leaving the country (at your expense in most cases) to go and get one.

Cheers
                  Mardhi
                  Hi Mardhi,
                  I am a school teacher with a full Early Childhood Studies teaching degree (specializing in both English as a foreign language and in science - biology, chemistry and geology) and also have a computer science degree and have taught for a number of years. I have researched it fairly well and know that I can come up with a teaching job fairly easily and have turned down a number of jobs already. I have my visa already and can also do the visa runs a couple of times, so in 4 months I should be able to get the work visa done. I just want to teach in the BKK area, mainly for the money difference compared to a more remote area. I had considered teaching in Surin but the rate was half of that in BKK. Initially when I tried to get my GF out of Thailand, both the US and Thai government would let my GF leave but refused to give her little boy his papers to leave, saying that if it didn't work out between us, she would go back to Thailand for the little boy. I refuse to leave him behind and at the urging of the Thai government, decided to come to Thailand to teach. So I have all the required documentation I need to stay, I just need the job. I personally think it's all bullshit, but as we all know, the Thai and US governments do run shady deals when it comes to paperwork.

In BKK, I would like a 1 bedroom that's furnished and that would give me high speed computer access. I want it to be close to the Skytrain but as i said before, I always stay in the Nana area, so my knowing the locations of BKK is very limited. My GF lived outside of BKK for awhile but she too knows little about BKK. Her plus is that she can speak the language. I know I don't want to pay 30,000 a month like some of the luxury places are, but many say it's do able to get a nice clean place for 10,000 a month or less. I will just get a service apartment initially and then get the job. Worse comes to worse, I'll go back to the states after 4 months, but I doubt I will have too, especially considering I have turned down numerous jobs already. I just didn't want to take a job and then find the school is the pits, and then be stuck in a contract that totally sucks. But I still own a house here in the states that's paid for, and still have a job here if I come back, so all my bases have been covered here.

But if anyone can recommend a decent service apartment place, please speak up. Otherwise I will stay at Swiss Park for a few nights and roam BKK and find someplace for my gf and I to crash till I pick up a job. Either way, I'm here to stay for awhile....haha.

Lastly and most importantly, I don't want any of you to think I'm arrogant like I'm this great wonderful American, coming to LOS and staying no matter what anyone says......lol. I'm just the average guy coming to teach in Thailand and work at getting his gf and her son out eventually. But like many of you, I love Thailand and look forward to living there. Maybe I'll stay 6 months, a year, 2 years or more. I have no bills in the states, so all I have to be able to do is support myself in BKK.

Have a GREAT night and as always, thanks for any info.
                  Nhscotsman

Comment

(nhscotsman @ Aug. 09 2007,04:37)
                    (mardhi @ Aug. 09 2007,04:59)

Thanks so much,
                    Nhscotsman
                    Is there something that leads you to think your 'skills' are in such demand that you can land a job 'without to much of a deal' ?   Just curious, but I know heaps of guys who had similar ideas and none of them ended up with a job in Thailand.    

Cheers
                    Mardhi
                    Hi Mardhi,
                    I am a school teacher with a full Early Childhood Studies teaching degree (specializing in both English as a foreign language and in science - biology, chemistry and geology) and also have a computer science degree and have taught for a number of years. I have researched it fairly well and know that I can come up with a teaching job fairly easily and have turned down a number of jobs already. I have my visa already and can also do the visa runs a couple of times, so in 4 months I should be able to get the work visa done. I just want to teach in the BKK area, mainly for the money difference compared to a more remote area. I had considered teaching in Surin but the rate was half of that in BKK. Initially when I tried to get my GF out of Thailand, both the US and Thai government would let my GF leave but refused to give her little boy his papers to leave, saying that if it didn't work out between us, she would go back to Thailand for the little boy. I refuse to leave him behind and at the urging of the Thai government, decided to come to Thailand to teach. So I have all the required documentation I need to stay, I just need the job. I personally think it's all bullshit, but as we all know, the Thai and US governments do run shady deals when it comes to paperwork.

In BKK, I would like a 1 bedroom that's furnished and that would give me high speed computer access. I want it to be close to the Skytrain but as i said before, I always stay in the Nana area, so my knowing the locations of BKK is very limited. My GF lived outside of BKK for awhile but she too knows little about BKK. Her plus is that she can speak the language. I know I don't want to pay 30,000 a month like some of the luxury places are, but many say it's do able to get a nice clean place for 10,000 a month or less. I will just get a service apartment initially and then get the job. Worse comes to worse, I'll  go back to the states after 4 months, but I doubt I will have too, especially considering I have turned down numerous jobs already. I just didn't want to take a job and then find the school is the pits, and then be stuck in a contract that totally sucks. But I still own a house here in the states that's paid for, and still have a job here if I come back, so all my bases have been covered here.

But if anyone can recommend a decent service apartment place, please speak up. Otherwise I will stay at Swiss Park for a few nights and roam BKK and find someplace for my gf and I to crash till I pick up a job. Either way, I'm here to stay for awhile....haha.

Lastly and most importantly, I don't want any of you to think I'm arrogant like I'm this great wonderful American, coming to LOS and staying no matter what anyone says......lol. I'm just the average guy coming to teach in Thailand and work at getting his gf and her son out eventually. But like many of you, I love Thailand and look forward to living there. Maybe I'll stay 6 months, a year, 2 years or more. I have no bills in the states, so all I have to be able to do is support myself in BKK.

Have a GREAT night and as always, thanks for any info.
                    Nhscotsman
                    Have you applied at any of the international private schools in BKK? BKK Pattana (Spelling), Harrow, Shrewsbury, Regents, etc all seem to be loloking for GREAT teachers - might be worth applying before you even leave the US. Stogie will know more than I do, but I knew a head of dept at Regents (and I dont recomend it) who was earning over 150,000b month but he hated the 'profit first, business second, oh and by the way teach the kids something 3rd mentality)

The private schools are the top earners as simply thats where most expats send their kids (and employers pay the fees)

Cheers
                    mardhi

Comment

(mardhi @ Aug. 09 2007,06:08)
                      Mardhi,
                      I have talked and talked to numerous people about teaching jobs on various forums and actually have a fried in Phuket and in BKK that have taught for years and every one said DO NOT take a job first, everyone said get here first and then apply. So this is what I was planning. I am lucky too in that I can come with enough money that money isn't #1 priority, the work visa is. But I understand fully what your saying though. I figure I can get a decent job and tutor some and make a decent months pay, plus I'm fortunate too in that I don't have to worry about paying for bills back in the states too. My gf says "I can make money too" but what is she going to earn as a waitress or as a sales clerk.....peanuts....haha, but at least she's willing and not saying......give me, give me....like many do. I figure part of what she'd earn will go home to Momma anyway, but that's ok anyway, the mom is a sweetheart too.

My two priorities are getting the work visa and the decent apartment without paying through the nose for it.

Nhscotsman

Comment

Normally I don't like to even discuss things like this in here, many times people get angry discussing such things, but I also know you guys are experienced enough with BKK and the area and are always first and foremost the first to step up and help out someone who is truly coming to Thiland and not just dreaming of coming and whacking off at the thought of it.....haha

Nhscotsman

Comment

Getting a teaching job is the easiest thing you'll do here!

Comment

Astonishing how many EFL teachers are into Thai ladyboys It must be one of the more popular jobs of work for contributors to this forum.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 09 2007,06:51) Getting a teaching job is the easiest thing you'll do here!
                              That's why I'm not too worried........Granted, I am a bit concerned about getting the work visa (getting it) but as everyone has told me, to have an American with two degrees, one being a teaching degree applying for a teaching job.....many schools will jump through hoops to get you into their schools. Helping get the work visa will also be something they will be willing to help with too.

When I first went to Thai immigration in BKK, I felt like they were giving us the shaft by refusing mh gf's little boy of his passport, but when they realized I was a teacher from the USA, the womans eyes got as big as saucers and then she started the big sales pitch about "Me coming to Thailand"....I felt like a lamb being watched by a wolf. Then when I asked further about getting the little boy out of Thailand, they said they questioned that maybe my gf was paying me. I had her bank info....she had 30 baht in the bank. I told her if I was getting paid, I was going to get beaten then, then she turned around and said she didn't have enough money in the bank. Either way, we were getting the shaft. So then I came back to the states, got the tourist visa, the ticket and the leave of absence from my school here for 2 years and decided to come back and live here. I'm 47, single with a 19 year old son in college with no responsibilities and I have always wanted to live in Thailand.....so I sat at my house and thought....why not do it now. I adore my gf and her son and then thought....I might as well live with her in Thailand and then if it doesn't work, it's easier to send her home to her house from BKK than from the states. If it works as I suspect it will, then I can live in Thailand and we can get our house done. Plus, I am so tired of flying back and forth every 2 months (I have been doing it for over a year) and so far, the only one that is upset is United Airlines.....lol...they are losing their $1000.00 fare every 2 months...haha.

Nhscotsman

Comment

Working...
                              X