Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss the noodle soups. Mouth is watering...

Comment

I have never been sick in Asia and ive eaten some pretty unsavoury morsels.In Cambodia i ate Rat,Dog (numerous times) Fresh water prawns,Frogs,Tarantula,Snake.I grew up eating spicy food so it doesn't bother me at all.The only place i have ever been ill is in South America,in total i have spent about two months on the toilet there.
      My only rules are i never eat chicken unless i have cooked it myself or eat Shrimp in a country with no coastline.
      Street food is mostly excellent,the cooks whole livelyhood and reputation rests on it being of a high standard.Plus the one dish they cooked has probably been in the family for generations.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveler's_diarrhea

I've been using Dukoral for the past 3 years to help prevent Traveler's diarrhea and I'm happy to say it's worked so far. I get a booster every year... thats it.

http://www.travellersdiarrhea.com/Home/home.html

Comment

Well this last trip I ate evrything the girls ate until i had some food at the mall in Hua Hin from KFC and got a dose!!!

Just goes to show, you may think they are clean but not really.
          seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

It's interesting how we all differenciate "street food" as being more risky. Ever been in the kitchen of a Thai restaurant? I don't see any difference between their hygiene and most street vendors.

I used to love the food at a small bar near the "Sin Bar", on Soi 4. They have no kitchen. So I traced the source to a kitchen at a massage place back down the alley. I went into the kitchen, and have since decided to never eat there again. Suffice to say it was frightening, and the chefs more frightening than the food.

I love Giusto restaurant on Soi 23. It is a very high end Itailian place. Thaksin's cabinet regularly ate there. In fact, I was there the night of the coup, and his cabinet were there too! Anyhow, I digress...One night I was there sitting by the kitchen. A waiter I know well, stuck his thumb inside a salad dressing bottle, turned it upside down, stuck his thumb in his mouth to taste it, then did it again!

I've watched these street vendors for more than 4 years now sitting at Morning Night and Big Dogs bars. They are very clean. They only thing that is suspect, in my opinion, is not changing the grease often, and even that, I am only guessing, as maybe they do change it every day, but I just don't see it.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I think there is not a whole lot of difference between street hygiene and restaurant hygiene for 'average' restaurants. You have to go pretty high class to get that really pristine clean kitchen.

Comment

I pop back to the UK for a kebab every few weeks and drink V8 while I'm in Thailand. Works for me.

Comment

Never had a problem with fruit eat loads of the stuff too.
                One time on Sukhumvit bangkok had noodle soup with them meat balls i was sick all over the place next day, went to kanchanaburi on the bus and was walking towards the bridge on the river kwai and shit myself it was to far to walk back so carried on. Got to the bridge and there was a thai school trip or something, some kids came running up with clip boards asking loads of questions, then asked if they could take a photo
                Ended up leaving my underwear in some waste paper bin in some toilets man was it a nice to ditch them

Comment

shit on a stick  

Comment

I always eat street food, but I do make it a point to at least "try" to stay away from bugs. As many times as i have been in Thailand, I haven't consciously eaten any, but I'm sure I have swallowed things I would just assume not know I did eat....haha.
                    Nhscotsman

Comment

In April the ants and their eggs are great like rice crispies snap,crackle, and pop.

Comment

Working...
                      X