First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Snick @ Sep. 24 2010,12:14) Follow snick's helpful advice
    Lie about everything

Lie about your name - even better if you use 2 names in the same bar
    Lie about you hotel - tell them you stay at some real shitpit. Nice hotel=$$$
    Lie about where you are from - America/Europe and they want a visa
    Lie about your age -- I'm always 25 !
    If someone asks for a gift, tell them you'll buy them a car.
    If they say they want to be your girlfriend, say 'Great I need another'
    If they say they love you, say 'right back at you Babe'.

And don't bother being consistent...you want them to know you are lying.
    Remember in Thailand its okay to Lie, its just bad to call someone a liar.

and most important, always smile while you do it.

i say my name snick

love your post's buddy

SW
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CT8982

Comment

Also I may add that the 2nd line of your title "get tough or die" is hyperbole at it's finest.
      “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
      ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

and not even a credit to Johnny Cash!

Comment

wow Pacman was it worse this time then when we met in Stirngfellows some years back and you got kicked out?
          reflections

Comment

Why was he kicked out?
            “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
            ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

The plot thickens
              Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

its a bs story I was sitting there with him having a drink (we met at the hotel LK a short while back) and I asked him if he thought any of the girls were on Yabba and before he answered me a bargirl came up to him and started cursing at him over nothing and he got kicked out. It is the subject of a thread some while back but it must have been case of mistaken identity
                reflections

Comment

Does the date fit the timestamp of the incident?

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Well I have just got home after a two and a half week jaunt of LOS, and enjoyed my trip immensely as usual (although it wasn't the same without my old mate Jimslim )

Paccers, it was good catching up up with you again, you are truly decent bloke, and you even kept your word and bought me a beer.
                    BUT, FFS!! what's with this thread??? You make Pattaya sound like a warzone. I experienced nothing like this while there, and I don't believe I was lucky to this effect. Sure, the place is (eerily) quiet, and I agree there is more pressure from the girls than ever for drink, tip, barfine etc. But not in a threatening manner.
                    Maybe Pattaya has lost some of it's 'ambiance' because of the lack of customers. So many bars have no customers at all, probably for days on end, but generally the fun is still there and although the pressure is slightly greater, react with a smile and a laugh, say NO in a nice way, and there will be no problems, and if you are a newbie and have been slightly unnerved by this thread, just sit in LaBamba all night, because there couldn't be a less threatening place on earth than that bar!!!

I hate to have to say this Paccers, because you are a genuinely nice bloke, but your negativity is downright fucking annoying, and IMO, totally misplaced. Perhaps Lefty is right, you were there slightly too long, and perhaps lost touch with the bright side of Pattaya. Everyone noticed this, including the Ladyboys, and maybe you witnessed so many negatives because you went out of your way to find them. So you witnessed some scuffles, big deal. You saw some bad behaviour, so what. You even witnessed some locals beating the shit out of some tourists - ever been to Benidorm??? A bad day in Pattaya is still better than a good day in most other places of the world.
                    Maybe now you have been home for a few days you will reflect on the trip, and have mellowed a bit to the negative aspects, I await your response??
                    A friend in need is a f**king pest

Comment

Well said Ciobha.

Pacman was the first guy to really reach out to me as a newbie on this board, and serves as an unofficial "ambassador of LOS" to newbies here. He has a ton of experience that I love to luxuriate in, and his pointers and educated insights have always been of immense benefit to me in my ongoing efforts to learn how to truly enjoy the LOS experience.

But I'd have to concur that Paccie's comments about security concerns, while worth some consideration, should be taken with a big grain of salt. I wonder if perhaps he isn't erring on the side of paranoia because some folks refuse to recognize that this ISN'T Disneyland? Perhaps he's seen people get hurt badly thinking since they are the customer, they can be as rude/aggressive as they like? I don't really know.

But I do know that from the sounds of the most recent reports, there would seem to be running gun battles in the streets, thugs lying in wait around every corner, and a sap or brass knuckles concealed in every girls purse (the better to soften you up for the policeman they are working with or to force you to barfine them against your will).

I think the truth is that most tourists can survive turning down an unwanted barfine, can complain about overcharging or other service-related problems, and can spend a pleasant night out on the town without having to worry whatsoever about violence being done to them.

I also think the REAL truth is that spending a drunken whoring evening in Pattaya is about 4 times safer than walking to the grocery store here in Seattle at night. I keep trying to tell my folks that, but they fall into the same trap - they see the headlines in the newspapers and extrapolate that to the everyday, but don't consider what the chances are of actually being a victim. Watching the news and letting that become your reality is easy to do.

The guys that get drunk, act like assholes, yell at thais and then think because they're smaller they can bully them - those guys get their teeth knocked down their throats, but they don't seem to fit the profile of the audience we have here on this board.
                      Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Comment

(ciobha @ Oct. 11 2010,20:59) Well I have just got home after a two and a half week jaunt of LOS, and enjoyed my trip immensely as usual (although it wasn't the same without my old mate Jimslim   )

Paccers, it was good catching up up with you again, you are truly decent bloke, and you even kept your word and bought me a beer.
                        BUT, FFS!! what's with this thread??? You make Pattaya sound like a warzone. I experienced nothing like this while there, and I don't believe I was lucky to this effect. Sure, the place is (eerily) quiet, and I agree there is more pressure from the girls than ever for drink, tip, barfine etc. But not in a threatening manner.
                        Maybe Pattaya has lost some of it's 'ambiance' because of the lack of customers. So many bars have no customers at all, probably for days on end, but generally the fun is still there and although the pressure is slightly greater, react with a smile and a laugh, say NO in a nice way, and there will be no problems, and if you are a newbie and have been slightly unnerved by this thread, just sit in LaBamba all night, because there couldn't be a less threatening place on earth than that bar!!!

I hate to have to say this Paccers, because you are a genuinely nice bloke, but your negativity is downright fucking annoying, and IMO, totally misplaced. Perhaps Lefty is right, you were there slightly too long, and perhaps lost touch with the bright side of Pattaya. Everyone noticed this, including the Ladyboys, and maybe you witnessed so many negatives because you went out of your way to find them. So you witnessed some scuffles, big deal. You saw some bad behaviour, so what. You even witnessed some locals beating the shit out of some tourists - ever been to Benidorm??? A bad day in Pattaya is still better than a good day in most other places of the world.
                        Maybe now you have been home for a few days you will reflect on the trip, and have mellowed a bit to the negative aspects, I await your response??
                        Pacman is the only guy who I have been with in Thailand for a drink where I CHOSE to donate 200b for HIS fondling efforts so that I (and my reputation) was left intact after he neglected to give the girl anything, maybe just assuming in bar entertainment is free or whatever.

To this day, after living here for over 10 years I have still never experienced what Pacman describes in his 4 week holidays.

My strategy is simple - give the girls some tips and they take care of you - that solves many many potential issues.

Cheers
                        Mardhi

Comment

Maybe what paccie's trying to say.. learn to live and learn rather than get killed by just following cowboy diplomacy?

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Or maybe you just pay for services delivered?

Cheers
                            Mardhi

Comment

Well duh! Somehow I didn't see him as the type but then I never met him in person. Either way I don't wish anyone bad. Hope he got home safely.

Comment

I was in La Bamba earlier in the week and asked for the bill - did not really look at it and just passed over a 500b note - I got change of 320baht. That is not correct I suddenly thought. I had THREE beers, should be getting change of 2XX something. So I ask the girl working and she looked shocked and said "2 beers at 90 each = 180b" I corrected her and said it was THREE beers - 270 baht I think. She looked dumbfounded and said "so sorry - thank you mardhi for see my mistake." She wrote out a new bin for the (correct) third drink and all was well. I had no negative experience whatsoever and the girls were fine - but actually I did not buy any Lady drinks as I had my phone to my ear for most of the time I was there.

And this is in wild West Pattaya/Thailand in the last week. As Is ay, I have never had any of these kind of issues in 10 years of living here.

Cheers
                                Mardhi

Comment

Working...
                                X