Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good attitude haha!

Comment

• (Damocles @ Feb. 01 2011,05:02) I should stop reading this thread it's depressing me    But as Pacman says, it's started a decent debate.

Now I've gone all serious and run out of perv reports to read, here's my take:

I've run large nightclubs in England and Asia (not as many) for the last 25 years; I know the talk is of Pattaya but some things run true no matter where you are, especially when you have a highly concentrated drinking area such as WS and environs. And westerners who either can't hold their drink or have 'issues' are the same everywhere.

It can be deeply shocking to see an incident such as those Pacman describes, particularly if it's not something you see much of. See it often enough and you desensitise a little, at the same time gearing up on your own precautions as you go; it subtly makes you more wary as you learn more about human nature and its unpredictable (and sometimes very predictable) side. I can totally empathise with the shock Pacman felt at the incident/s he saw; it has a profound effect on a person. When you see the look on the face of someone who is without question prepared to stab or shoot you without consideration of consequence, it is something that will take a while to get over and deal with.

Over the years I have seen violence escalate from fists and sometimes bottles, to knives, to guns and a combination of them all. Younger people are less afraid of consequences and a mutated form of 'respect' dominates the mindset of many. That 'respect' is leagues away from the old-school gangster mind-set which could be settled with words and logic. I'm not expert enough to equate that to 'Face' in Asia but I wouldn't be surprised at a mutation of its meaning.

Blame it on what you like - computer games, the breakdown of family and society, drugs, whatever, it bores me to discuss that now - the fact remains that its become worse everywhere. I don't know Pattaya like you guys, I've been visiting Bangkok often for months at a time for the last 20 years. I've seen enough fights, usually Thai on farang, and have avoided through a developed sixth sense many many more.  I guess that's why Pattaya never really attracted before; I had nothing to make me want to visit and am all too aware of the dangers of the melting pot.

I've now been twice in the last 3 months, just for a few days, made friends and had a look. Yes, be aware; but so far no more aware than if I were in Nana or Patpong (god forbid though I do like a decent bar there!). Walking Street puts me on top guard though.

The one thing that struck me is the willingness of doorstaff here to go to war quite quickly. Obviously there are many exceptions to the rule but the trigger is hair in many others. I sense little training and co-ordination with the Police ("well duh" I hear you say) but a man held down with something less than a plank of 2x4 and taken away for a night in a cell is much more preferable to blood everywhere and other charges pending for the assailant (duh again). I saw the same thing in a club in Malaysia which had massive issues with violence, most of which I leveled at the doorstaff - they didn't understand. Anyone showing lack of respect (by their definition) was fair game. Once they did, and it was damn hard, a new reputation for the club was carved out.

Frankly all I want is somewhere I can go, get totally drunk (Thailand is the only place I drink in between jobs) and have a laugh - for that reason I tend not to explore, instead rooting myself to a few checked-out spots where I become known and can relax a little, which by the way is how I discovered the Guess Bar). My own definition of that is if I don't have to check my bin every 5 minutes and I don't feel I have to face front and constantly be on guard. Do you know how annoying it is to always have to face the damn door in a restaurant?   There's never an ideal though, which is a shame and makes me unhappy and unable to really let go. I can drink all night but when it's time to walk home at 6am my brain clicks back into gear even more.

I get quite jealous of those that can still be even slightly oblivious to the mood in the air around them - I still think they're better off than me and will enjoy themselves much much more.

So Pacman - I totally get where you're coming from. I don't think things will improve, only get worse. So people's coping mechanisms will follow on many levels. Which is fucking sad.

Sorry to bang on, but it was quite cathartic for me hehe  
      Ahhh - I think I have worked out who you are - if so, welcome to the stomping ground.

(the 25 years running clubs was a big clue) - if not then there are at least 2 club veterans frequenting Guess bar.

Cheers
      Mardhi

Comment

• I'm tempted to toy with your emotions Mardhi, but I'm not sure you have any left! Me and my fuckin' mouth...ummm fingers.

Thanks....I figured after a couple of years hearing it mentioned, I'd check it out, never too late to learn new things!

Hope you're well....

Comment

• Now you just need a nifty avatar Damocles. One of the Krays perhaps ?
          Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

• Comment

Working...
            X